Trail running - HELP!!!

SillyC

Barefooters
May 19, 2010
Hi all,

I signed up for a trail marathon in November, and did my first ever long trail run today. I ran 16 miles. Overall it went very well, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I ran in invisible shoe huaraches, and was very pleased. The trail I picked is fairly typical for the area, with about the right amount of rocks. But I came back with these:

45944_421480593191_720908191_4813087_5317214_n.jpg

They hurt - not while I run normally, but when I step on a root, or another rock. Right now, if I could run 26.2 miles at all, I could run with these bruises. So, I'm asking those of you with more trail running experience... is this to be expected? Or should I - gasp - get more foot protection?

Thanks!

Heather

I took the liberty of editing

I took the liberty of editing your first post. What you want to do is disable rich text and then type Then when you go back to rich text it should appear in the right place.

I don't have much to add except that it looks painful. I'd either try to be more relaxed or wear thicker shoes. Then again, I'm not exactly an experienced trail runner yet...

I actually mostly do trail

I actually mostly do trail running, but no expert by any means. My feet got pretty beat up first couple of times, but after that no problems. I usually do one day on one day off. Same for gravel trails.

I'll normally do 2-3 barefoot

I'll normally do 2-3 barefoot (technical) trail runs a week. My feet need a little break from the roots and rocks between days. For those days, I'll do some barefoot road or minimalist trail. That being said, my long barefoot trail runs are 12ish miles, longer in minimalist footwear. The more time you spend on the trial, the better you'll get at shifting weight and adapating to the obstacles. It's like anything else, take it slow and listen to your body.

Okay, sounds like I just need

Okay, sounds like I just need to take my lumps and move on. It's getting to the point where I really need to be training in the "shoes" I intend to race in. I really want to stick with the huaraches if it is at all possible.

PS - and thanks BlindBoy and Lavarunner for the photo help!

This seemed like an

This seemed like an appropriate place for this question.

I went for my first longish trail run (8 or 9miles) today which felt great. I did it in a little under an hour twenty and was happy until about ten or twenty minutes after my run when I discovered a couple blood blisters on a toe and on the ball of my right foot. I've only been at this seriously for about a month now but was still really surprised at my foot's inability to handle it. I did around six miles two days ago with no effect at all. Today's run was the longest I've done but it was also the first time that I ran in less than dry conditions. All the little gullies on the trail were still mucky and I miraculously managed to not take any spills though it was very close a number of times. Could the blisters be from the wet trail? It just didn't seem like the added few miles of distance would do it.

Thanks to any and all in advance for help.

FWIW I just completed my

FWIW I just completed my first half marathon trail barefoot and came out unscathed. I think it all depends on your own personal goals. Mine was to run my first trail race barefoot regardless of the time. I am pretty sure I would have placed in my age group had I wore some sort of protection based on race results. I think I had a PR for slowest half marathon ever avoiding the roots and rocks and picking my way down the hills. Acorns and acorn caps were my nemesis and impossible to avoid throughout the course and hurt. Good luck with your decision and have fun!

Could you have been twisting

Could you have been twisting your toes into the earth in those muddy areas? Maybe that caused the blood blisters.

Sole_foot, Wow acorns, that

Sole_foot,

Wow acorns, that sounds like bad news. Here it's just rocks and roots and though not painful, big slugs. I'm definitely not the squeemish type but stepping on these sticky buggers really sucks. I agree when you say it just depends on your goals. I haven't been a runner in 20 years so getting back into it has me thinking straight away about the challenge of racing. This barefoot journey has been a different vision of the running experience though and has been much richer than anticipated.

TJ,

That makes a lot of sense!

Yeah, they seem to heal quick

Yeah, they seem to heal quick those feet. I'm going to be back at it tomorrow it's looking like. :)

That's good news, Josh!  Take

That's good news, Josh! Take it easy.

I am a trail runner working

I am a trail runner working on increasing my barefoot distances. I believe the answer is to go very slow when it comes to increasing distance. I would keep getting blisters primarily because of the inclines and declines and my speed. It is more difficult to run with correct form with the variable surfaces in trail running. I have decided to back off pushing the distance and work on building my foot pads up. Every time I damage them I have to start over, so easy does it in my opinion.

Jeff, you might look at the

Jeff, you might look at the gravel tub training video on the BRS homepage from Todd Ragsdale. I agree that trail running is a whole different game, but I think this might help toughen up your feet.

Cheers!

Perhaps it's best we get our

Perhaps it's best we get our road form down first before we try to tackle trail form. With a road form, your footfall doesn't change with each step. You can listen to and fine tune your steps and your stride. With an uneven surface with varying inclines, you are unable to get the same consistent feedback. Just throwing it out there...

Welcome, Jeff!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test