Timing Chip Question. Please Help

Vendoskt

Barefooters
Mar 13, 2011
Michigan
I am running the Chicago Half Marathon on Sunday. Last week I bought a small dog collar to put around my ankle so that I can attach the timing chip. This will be the first race I have ever been in, so I have no experience running with a dog collar around my ankle, or with timing chips. I have been wearing the dog collar on my recent training runs. The first run was fine, I put it on my left ankle. My second run with the dog collar was suppose to be a half marathon. I wore the dog collar on my left ankle again. About 5 miles in, my achilles started hurting A LOT on the ankle I had the dog collar on. I switched ankles, but I could not run home. I would run about half mile, limp another quarter of a mile, then walk a quarter of a mile, then repeat. The pain in my left achilles went away pretty quickly, so I did another try at the half marathon training run. I wore the dog collar on my right ankle this time. The run went fine, no pain at all in either ankle. Today I went on my final training run (5 miles). I wore the dog collar on my right ankle again. I did the entire run with no problem, but when I got home, I noticed that my right achilles is a little sore. Since my run was only 5 miles, I do not know if I would have had the same terrible pain in my achilles if I had to run any farther.

The race is on Sunday, and I am getting really worried about having to wear this dog collar. Unfortunately, I need to rest between now and the race, so I can't go on any more training runs and test out any new strategies. What is everyones strategy for wearing timing chips. Also, especially for those that use dog collars, how do you attach them. I don't want to make it too tight, but I still seem to get this pain if I have it loose as well. What should I do? PLEASE HELP

I never used my dog collar on

I never used my dog collar on a distance longer than 6 miles so I cannot comment. But I'm really interested in what others will say. I will make sure to wear my collar during my long training runs.

I ran a small race where a barefoot guy was just carrying his chip in his hand, I think he lowered by his feet when he crossed the mats. I'm not sure it would be ok for a more formal race but it worked for him.

Good luck for Sunday!

Are you sure it's the dog

Are you sure it's the dog collar causing the Achilles pain?

I've worn one for lots of races and never had a problem.

If it is the dog collar, perhaps you need to make sure it's mega loose.

Otherwise, try to find something else that you can make really loose.

Good luck on your half! Let us know how it goes.

I am quite sure that the

I am quite sure that the Achilles pain is due to the dog collar. For one, I never had such a pain before I got the dog collar. Also, when I had the collar on my left ankle, my left Achilles hurt, when I put it on my right ankle, my left Achilles got better, and my right Achilles began to hurt. Luckily my right Achilles no longer hurts from my run earlier today.

I have been making the collar very loose, but I think I might have been putting it on too loose. Should I get one that is wider? The one I have now is only 3/8'' wide.

I found a way to put it on that feels comfortable, but I think it might be too tight. I have the collar as loose as possible, while at the same time I have it tight enough so that it can't fall below the bones that bulge out from he sides of your ankle (fibula and tibia bones???). Is this about how tight you wear yours TJ?

Thanks for the well wishes

I wore it loose.  I don't

I wore it loose. I don't even feel it when I wear it. I am able to run and forget about it. The one I wore is very narrow, meaning not wide, though. It looks like a cat could wear it; it's that thin. Maybe the one you have is too wide? You can use something else though. Right now, I have an anklet made of thin twine, beads, and sea shells that I forget is there. I wear it all the time, walking, running. Maybe you should look into getting something different. What about a strap of velcro? That way, if it seems like it's getting tight during your run, you can just adjust it wider. It may behave the same as the dog collar though. You could duct tape it to your ankle too though.

I would check on how tight

I would check on how tight you're wearing it. I've never done a dog collar, but I have worn my roadID on my ankle and never had any problems, but I didn't wear it very tight. Not flopping around, but not tight, if you follow me.

I guess the other thing to consider is whether it's actual achilles pain or is it the skin? (I'm sure you've already considered this) Seems to me for a long distance a dog collar would chafe the hell out of the ankle/achilles area, so if it's a "rubbing" problem try body gliding the hell out of it.

One alternative would be to use a soft shoelace and tie that around your ankle with the chip on it. Or a hair scrunchy, but I don't know if I would personally want to look that girly ;)

I hope you find a solution! good luck!

Thank you for your

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I need to go shopping tonight and see what is available.

For you dog collar wearers. This might answer my tightness question. When you have it on, how many fingers (width wise) can you fit between the collar and the back of your ankle. I can fit my index finger comfortably, and I can force my index finger and middle finger to fit inbetween the collar and my ankle.

I actually use one of those

I actually use one of those rubber motivational wrist bands. I had several around the house and was able to find one that fits tight enough but not too tight.

I can fit 2 fingers under my

I can fit 2 fingers under my collar, going away forom the ankle.

I think I may invest in a RoadId ankle band later this year.

I always wear whenever I run

I always wear whenever I run wrist bands on my ankles. You know the kind that soak up sweat. Any sports store should have them. Super comfortable on the ankles. Just tape the chip on outside of band.

If it's a D-tag, it folds

If it's a D-tag, it folds over whatever strap you're using with adhesive. If it's a chrono-tag, maybe that's different. Some people have used a zip-tie. I can put two fingers between my strap and my ankle. So it's not mega loose.

Thank you all very much for

Thank you all very much for your input. I am going shopping later tonight, so I will see what I can find in terms of wrist bands or road IDs that I can fit onto my ankle. I'm starting to think that I simply bought a bad dog collar for the purpose I am using it. Worst comes to worst, I can always take it off, and hold the timing chip close to the ground when I run over the mats.

BTW, it is a chrono-tag that I will be using. Since I have never used a timing chip before, I'm not sure what the difference is between them. I'll just have to see what I can do with what I have when I get the timing chip.

For that, you might have to

For that, you might have to have a zip-tie. Just be sure that when you cut the zip-tie that you use the correct side of the cutters, or you will leave a sharp edge on the plastic zip-tie that could cut into your skin.

For everyone else, look for the RoadID ad on the right sidebar. We sell them, and it doesn't cost anything extra for you to purchase through us. Every little bit helps to fund your club, host the website, make the site better, and pay for filings, etc.

Barefoot TJ wrote:For that,

Barefoot TJ said:
For that, you might have to have a zip-tie. Just be sure that when you cut the zip-tie that you use the correct side of the cutters, or you will leave a sharp edge on the plastic zip-tie that could cut into your skin.

For everyone else, look for the RoadID ad on the right sidebar. We sell them, and it doesn't cost anything extra for you to purchase through us. Every little bit helps to fund your club, host the website, make the site better, and pay for filings, etc.

Thanks for the advice TJ, I'll have to add zip-ties to my shopping list. Glad I didn't leave yet :)

Make sure it's the kind that

Make sure it's the kind that requires laces, or zip-ties in our case, first. Can you call the race planners to find out what the chip looks like? If it's the round one that has like a cylinder chip in it and slots on the sides, you'll definitely need the zip-tie or something to fasten it to the ankle strap.

BTW, you say you may have

BTW, you say you may have gotten the wrong dog collar... Was it the black leather one with the big metal spikes? Hee. Teasing!

Barefoot TJ wrote:BTW, you

Barefoot TJ said:
BTW, you say you may have gotten the wrong dog collar... Was it the black leather one with the big metal spikes? Hee. Teasing!

I thought those spikes were there to help hold it in place. Perhaps the hole in my achilles due to the spike is the source of my pain. lol, jk.

I think I solved my problem. I got some wrist bands to put around my ankle. They are a little tight, but very comfortable. I hope that if I wear them for a while they will loosen up a bit. So, with wrist bands, a dog collar, and some zip ties, I should be ready for whatever is thrown at me timing clip wise.

Thank you all for your help.

You shouldn't have to use the

You shouldn't have to use the zip-ties if you are using the D-tag type of timing chip. You just loop the D-tag around the collar, strip off the adhesive strip at one end, and press the ends together. No zip-ties needed.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts