Theoretical Training Plan for a 50k

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
So, last week, I accidentally started my ultra-running training plan.

I had a knee-jerk reaction to run - probably due to FINALLY getting on the right medication to provide me with some quality sleep for the first time in my life.

So I ran. A lot. 39 miles in 7 days. The most I had ran previously was maybe 17, once, a long time ago -otherwise 15 miles had been the usual.

I did not have any unusual pains from this ridiculousness and I even did two hours of weightlifting in there!

So now, for a 50k, I have come up with this weirdo training plan - pulled right out of...my butt!!!

I think I want to do the following weekly rotations:
10-15 miles (this week has a 5 day consecutive break from all physical activity)
35-40 miles
15-20 miles
35-40 miles
2 hours of weightlifting each week - with the goal of weight increase (as opposed to rep increase). Weightlifting to include weighted regular squats, weighted split squats, inner/outer thigh machine, hamstring curl, leg extension, reverse hyperextension, the weirdo machine that allows me to replicate hiking backwards up a steep hill.

Which 50K?

Make sure your running on similar terrain. You don't want to run all flat roads, then attempt a rough course with lots of elevation changes.

I wouldn't focus so much on weekly mileage totals as I would on long run distances. It doesn't help much if your running 50 miles a week, but only in 2 or 3 mile increments. It would help with speed, but you wouldn't get much endurance benefits.

I'd shoot for a few long runs in the 20~25 mile range.

And just a warning, ultras are addictive. You will spend the next few years looking and planning and training.

Good luck!

Which 50K?

Make sure your running on similar terrain. You don't want to run all flat roads, then attempt a rough course with lots of elevation changes.

I wouldn't focus so much on weekly mileage totals as I would on long run distances. It doesn't help much if your running 50 miles a week, but only in 2 or 3 mile increments. It would help with speed, but you wouldn't get much endurance benefits.

I'd shoot for a few long runs in the 20~25 mile range.

And just a warning, ultras are addictive. You will spend the next few years looking and planning and training.

Good luck!

Ya, I know exactly what my ultra route is like. And to make doubly sure, I'm going to train on it at least once. It's 95% runnable, only a 745 foot elevation gain, 3 loops.

Nice!

Good luck, although it doesn't sound like you are going to need it!

Reactions: jldeleon
Well my plan is all over for now thanks to a resurgence of insomnia. That week I ran 39 miles was a broken-brain fluke. Maybe in my next life!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test