The 90% Barefoot City of Trees Marathon 2014

The 90% Barefoot City of Trees Marathon 2014
Marathon_1.jpg
Here are two important lists related to this first ever marathon that I ran, and ran 90% barefoot, on Sunday, October 12, 2014. These lists are a summary of the challenges and advantages I had going into the City of Trees Marathon in Boise, Idaho.​
Challenges:​
  • It was my first official marathon.
  • I had not been able to run the course ahead of time to determine barefoot level.
  • I knew I was quite likely to be facing about 5 hours of running.
  • I had strained my right lower leg 6 weeks prior to the race, then my left quad about 3 weeks before.
  • My mom had been diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer about 2 months before the race and I was devoted to spending a lot of time caring for her and helping my dad.
  • My mom, whom I was very close to, died exactly 1 week before the race.
Advantages:​
.​

[URL='http://funfitnessafter50.com']http://dailyimprovisations.com/about/[/URL]
View all 6 featured items
Nice job Laura. Well done! Love the part about beginning to feel old, then deciding it didn’t mean you needed to act old :cool:

Reactions: happysongbird
Way to go! Glad you had a great first marathon! I especially like the picture "The view from Crescent Rim Road" with the mountains their in the background. Running by the homeless people sounds a bit uneasy... that's one interesting thing about the longer races... you just see so much more varied conditions. Hope your recovery is going well. I know I was hurting after my first!

Way to go! Glad you had a great first marathon! I especially like the picture "The view from Crescent Rim Road" with the mountains their in the background. Running by the homeless people sounds a bit uneasy... that's one interesting thing about the longer races... you just see so much more varied conditions. Hope your recovery is going well. I know I was hurting after my first!

After 2 days, I can finally make it up and down the stairs at home without grimacing each step, although I can still feel it. :eek:

I am so sorry about your mom, Laura. :(

Well done Laura!!!
How far are you willing to travel? maybe we could plan running a marathon sometime next year?

Well done Laura!!!
How far are you willing to travel? maybe we could plan running a marathon sometime next year?

That would be so much fun! But you would be so much faster than me. :embarrassed: But I would love to see if we could work it out!

Way to go Laura! Congrats on your first marathon. Now that the dust has settled, what's next? Loved your report, after reading the list, I kind of did the same for my upcoming race. Really calms the nerves if the strengths outweigh the weaknesses or challenges. Course', don't make a list if the negatives outweigh the positives.:) You have a wonderful, supportive family.

Now that the dust has settled, what's next?

My husband asked me that question just yesterday while we were out running. I said I'd like to just casually build up my mileage again, so that maybe another marathon would be more comfortable and "normal." I am also helping a friend work up to her first 5 K in February, which is fun to be able to do. I will make a plan for her (she is inspired to be barefoot as much as possible, but it is getting cold soon) and work out with her some. But any race plans are way back in my mind right now. Although, I am listening to a biography of an elite lady ultra runner right now... not sure if that is a good idea. ;)

Reactions: rickwhitelaw