Terra Plana Dharma

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I just recieved my pair yesterday, thanks to my wife for a great christmas present. So far I have been wearing them for 6 hours at work, I do tons of walking around, I am in the facility department so I am always on the go. Initial thought, the best casual shoe I ever experienced! Love the zero heel drop, my feet are wide, the toe box is so comfy, it's like I am wearing slippers at work. There has been no need for any breaking in as well, that's how great these things are.

The price may throw people off, it did for me at first but I will say the money is totally worth it. I hope they never change the make of this shoe, I can see myself buying these for life.

Thanks LPJ for the discount! I got it off his blog: http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/

I've had the dharma for a

I've had the dharma for a while. Dharma is leather so it does not have much give on the upper, and it can be more hot with your foot inside. Which is why I will only wear them in winter rainny conditions with cooler temps. It's my winter rain shoe. I'm not a big fan of the enclosed shoe systems. Though the amount of time I wear them is very limited which is only at work. I just wish they would get rid of the toe spring in the vivo line. The vivo barefoot in general is certainly a comfortable line in general. With that said it is still a enclosed shoe system. If you tend to have "hot feet" this is not the best type of shoe.

I prefer my TP vivo aquas on my foot when I must wear a more normal looking shoe. I have a older model which is suede. The suede has a lot more flexibility on the upper shoe. It feels a lot more comfortable to my feet to wear them with this material. Non the less it is still a enclosed shoe. So the less I wear it the better. I never wear socks any more with shoes as they really add a lot more to the "hot foot" factor.

The vivo BF line is probably the most comfortable conventional looking shoe you can buy that is super comfy. Though their are still a lot of health issues associatted with these type of enclosed shoe sysytems. Also while I paid the price. I feel they are over priced, and should only be bought when you have discount codes. Usually at end of year they have 50% off if you keep your eyes peeled. They have other discount codes throughout the year as well.

While I agree they are comfortable. Your still putting your foot in a oven by wearing these type of shoes. So I just suggest keep wear time to a minimum. It's a pretty good design for the type odf shoe it is, but really over priced.

The one down side to this company if you don't live in NY. All online orders go through the warehouse not the retail store. If you want to do a return/exchange it's not a big deal if you don't mind waiting. Though if you want to actually talk to someone at warehouse it's almost impossible. I tried contacting them via phone once using phone number on return form. I wanted to discuss a first generation shoe I just received in the mail about possible manufacturer defect. I left a meesage, and they never called me back. I tried calling a few times, and they never answered the phone. So I just returned it, and probably don't plan to buy these shoes anymore. So I'm not real big on promoting this company, or this enclosed style shoe.

I remember back in the day when I had the TP vivo happy buzz like Adam now has. Not so much anymore though......Must say though my aqua's are about 20 months old, and still holding together strong.

Wow dude, that's a buzz

Wow dude, that's a buzz kill.

First off what are the health issues you get from wearing dharma?! Sounds a bit absurd to me. Yes my feet do get hot, but not any hotter than regular shoes. Before these I was wearing leather sketchers that were like ovens, I find the dharma's much cooler.

Vivo barefoot has some great

Vivo barefoot has some great fetures. Nice toe box, thin sole with no heel, no arch support. Though the product still falls short depending on the model. The look is just far too traditional.

The main issue with the vivo barefoot, or any enclosed shoe system is "hot feet syndrome". Your foot heats up inside like a oven. This effect of heat, and sweat is not a good combination. Which is why I don't wear a sock, and only wear them in cool winter temps. Your feet don't get any more hot then regular shoes in just my point. The leather does not allow any "breathing" for air flow. It's unnatural, and too hot. Wait until you try wearing a leather dharma in the summer heat. Depending on the season the temp inside a shoe can reach easily over 100 degrees. A few issues can be assiocatted with this like fungus, blisters, etc. It's just not healthy to have for foot in a oven for extended periods of time.

The second issue is the toe spring in vivo hyperextends the toes. Shoe companies do this to aid in push off in walking. Naturally the foot does not require this. Look how far the toe spring is off the ground on the dharma. Prolonged toe hypertension maintains unnatural tension in the plantar fascia which weakens the arch.

As far as other enclosed shoe systems their are numerous other health related issues due to bad design. Listen I have the dharma as well, and the aqua. My point was just becareful how much you wear them. Any enclosed shoe system has it draw backs that is just the bottom line. For me my wear time with these shoes is limited. If you think this is absurd. No problem you have personal choice to wear whatever you want as much as you want. Though the info above is no secret. At end of day you do what is most comfortable for you. I'm anti shoe for the most part. So you may feel safe, and healthy with hot feet for example. I don't want to tell you what to do. I'm just sharing awareness ideas with you on proper foot care/health.

Considering how the product line falls a bit short. I'm still stunned on their pricing structure. It's as if this is a perfectly designed shoe. This is not the case. Still better then traditional footwear though. Were headed in the right direction, but min shoe designs still needs improvements.

Also the vivo line has insole

Also the vivo line has insole cushion. The good thing is it can be removed. Sometimes though if you don't want to use the insole you may have to drop down a shoe size. This will vary depending on the vivo model. As a BF runner I'm sure you can understand the cushion is not natural. Hence the product getting even more away from being "barefoot". Which is their main marketing basis.

My older model aqua which is suede on the outside. Also has achilles notch, instep band, laces, as well as toe spring. Each of which is not natural, and has negative effects from a health aspect. I have my insole removed.

So yeah enjoy your dharmas. My point was even this line of products has a lot of improving to do. They just fall short in my opinion. I really hope the company can rid some of these design shortfalls in future generations. Next I think should be eliminating toe spring.

At the end of the day I still enjoy wearing them, but I'm aware of keeping wear time limited. Some things are just not avoidable in a enclosed system shoe like hot feet, but other features can certainly be eliminated. Which is why I have specific uses for them in very limted amount of use. Because the products are far from perfect. I just don't want to see these companies stop progression. We still have a long way to go with min shoe improvement designs.

I've discussed issues not having them answer phone, and not returning calls from warehouse. I've also emailed as well with them not responding at all. I think once they responded, but it was like two weeks later. So the customer support is very weak. If you have a general question about sizing, or shoe itself to call the retail store is fine. Beyond that after placing a order the retail store can't help you. So customer service is very limited after placing a order. A real shortfall for a 100+ dollar product line.

I've had my Dharma's for over

I've had my Dharma's for over 6 months now and while they are the best I've found so far for business wear, they do have two annoying aspects.

The main one that bothers me the most is the toe spring - which seems to have got worse as the shoes have aged. I think it is not helped by the seam right down the middle of the shoe causing the leather to not "give" sufficiently to allow the shoe to completely flatten. I really noticed this when I was recovering from tendonitis in my foot and ankle as it was putting undue stresses on my toe joints.

Also, as was also mentioned above, my feet do get hot and sweaty after a (work) day's wear. I try to wear Injinji's with them so as to minimise sweat build up around my toes but I am still glad to go barefoot as soon as I get home.

I still think they are some of the best business/casual shoes currently on the market but wish that Terra Plana (or another company) would do a truly flat "barefoot" shoe with zero toe spring that was suitable for business/casual wear.

As far as I can tell the

As far as I can tell the average min shoe user does not identify with toe spring yet. People don't seem to realize hyper extending the toes are bad for your natural arch, and puts tension on plantar fascia. I see numerous min shoe reviewers not even addressing this including users on this board.

It's a young industry. We have a long ways to go to perfect design. Companies don't seem to want to take big steps. They do it in phases. I agree a flat sole really neds to happen in the name of good health.

Theres no getting away from hot feet in enclosed shoe systems. People complain about bad smelling min shoes cause more folks are removing socks now. this smell is due to the hot feet syndrome. Again their really is no avoiding it in a enclosed shoe. All you can do is be awre of it, and limit using these types of shoes. Have you tried going sockless Ian ? The sock really magnifies the "oven" effect.

I second Adam's

I second Adam's recommendation of the Dharma. I still get the TP vivo happy buzz from the ones that I ordered back in Sept. w/ the 50% off web coupon that someone posted on this website. (Much thanks to whoever did that.) It's the best I have found so far that I can get away with wearing in a business casual workplace. I have not noticed a problem with toe spring so far, and the thin, flexible soles and roomy toe box are a big improvement over any shoe I have ever tried before. I would rather just go barefoot, but the company I work for is not that progressive. I usually avoid the heat buildup by going without socks and kicking off the shoes when sitting at my desk.

I like my vivobarefoot oaks.

I like my vivobarefoot oaks. I would prefer no toe-spring, but these are the best shoes I have for work, so far.

I've got a 2 pairs of Terra

I've got a 2 pairs of Terra Plana shoes, the Vivo Barefoot (suade) and the Oak. I have a 3rd pair in the mail, a leather version of the Vivo Barefoot.

They are the most comfortable shoes I have worn and despite the problems of foot heating I haven't found anything better that will escape the eagle eyes of the Occupational Health and Safety bureaucrats that deem I must wear enclosed shoes at work.

I tried wearing VFF's on casual Friday but that was a no no.

Compared to the shoes I wore for years before with heels and more solid leather construction these are far lighter, I no longer get backache that the heels caused and my toes are not being compressed in a narrow front of shoe.

So I think Terra Plana need congratulating on making a shoe that is more compatible with the foot, it may not be perfect but it is a damn sight better than anything else I have worn over the last 30 years.

Still, the first thing I do as soon as I leave the work building is get those shoes off as I get in the car, I far prefer driving barefoot.

Also, I buy my Vivo Barefoot's from an ebay store called T-shirts And More (Pretty sure that is the one) and they sell at far better prices than the online shop.

Its good having a strong Aussie dollar as well, my new Vivo's cost about $130 inc P&P, if I buy them from TP over here they are $185 inc P&P.

What the heck is a toe

What the heck is a toe spring? My dharma's are pretty flat, even in front. My 5th day wearing these, average about 6 hours a day on my feet, no complaints, no heating issue, these rule!

I really don't think there is scientifical evidence that heat is bad for your feet, I think that is more of a personal issue.

I love driving barefoot as well.

Toe spring is in the front of

Toe spring is in the front of a shoe. If you put your dharma on the floor. The front of the sole has a upward curve. This is toe spring. Each company designs it at different degree of upward curve. Toe spring purpose is to aide in push off phase of walking. Typically this is designed in cause most shoe soles are hard, and inflexible which prevents natural barefoot movement. This toe spring puts toes into unnatural hyperextended position. If you look at your barefoot on the ground the toes are flat on the ground. When you put your foot in a shoe the toe spring causes your toes to no longer be flat, hence hyperextension. Prolonged hyperextension causes unnatural tension on the plantar fascia that will then weaken the arch. Toe spring changes are natural gait, and is unhealthy for our feet.

It's time to do away with toe spring ! As of now toe spring is common practice in shoe design so min shoe companies are continuing to include this in design. I don't think everyone is aware of the bad effects of toe spring. Like anything it takes time to make change. Also min shoe companies seem to want to make changes in phases. They don't want to make too many changes to quickly in fear of consumers not buying the product. It really is time for those of us that are aware of the negative effects to tell these companies to rid toe spring from shoe design.

Hot foot is a known issue that is created from wearing enclosed shoe systems. Hot foot does not really exist in open footwear, or barefeet alone. A enclosed shoe is basically a oven. due to tight uppers, laces, material that does not breathe sufficently, instep support panels, tongue, etc. Simply no air flow. Or laces tied too tight restrict blood flow. This design raises the temperature of your feet. Adding socks makes hot feet syndrome even worse. The very warm temperatures cause sweat. The combination of sweat, and heat is not a healthy environment. Due to these increased temperatures shoe fabrics can leach into foot. Which can leach nasty chemicals in some cases over time. This can cause allergic reactions depending on the shoe, fungus growth, blisters, etc. Foot becomes a lab growing all sorts of things if you wear them enough. Millions of shoe addicted americans go to the doctor each year because of hot feet syndrome. This is what causes the infamous smelly shoes.

I don't think I can explain it much better then this. Lastly the degree of hot feet varies by individual. Some have it more then others. Maybe for Adam not so much, but for many it is not a fantasy. It is very real.......

I also wanted to add many

I also wanted to add many sandals, and such have toe spring. In fact I remember looking online fairly recently at that new sandal by barefoot Ted. If I recall the video I saw showed plenty of toe spring. If he is marketing to barefoot style runners. Why do we need toe spring ? Were lifting our feet not rolling. Does anyone have a convincing reason why that sandal, or any other footwear needs toe spring ? Is the fact that it hyperextends our toes, having ill effects on arch, etc not sigificant enough of a health risk to our feet ? Do folks really believe this ? Why not strive to ask for a natural flat sole ? Too much to ask ? Obviously we need more time for these advances in design.

Here is a good description of

Here is a good description of toe-spring, and why its a bad thing (scroll down to the toe-spring section):

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfrossi2.htm

If I hold my foot up and or

If I hold my foot up and or hold it on the ground and don't put pressure down on it, my toes naturally pull up. Maybe that is what they are trying to mimic? Put a little pressure and everything is flattened.

I don't really think it is an issue, and actually if it was flat it would technically be holding your foot unnaturally when non-weight bearing.

You guys are really grasping here.

I read the article. It is

I read the article. It is very interesting.

When I stand barefoot my toes do, indeed, touch the floor. I have found that the softer, thinner, wide toe box and more flexible soled I wear, the more comfortable I am.

At my job I am constantly on my feet and walking a LOT. Since I have abandoned the regular types of "good sensible work shoes" I am MUCH more comfortable and my legs are MUCH fresher at the end of the day. In fact, after getting up at 0410 working 8 hours on my feet and doing some household chores I can go on a long ( for me ) run.

The shoes I am now wearing for work are almost flat but when I replace them I am going to some of the flimsey black or white little slipper things that they sell at KMart that can pass for street shoes but don't really look like slippers.

I have one pair of them already that i use for when Hubby and I go dancing. My legs stay fresh for 4 hours and when the band quits I could go on and on. We do swing dancing. Wow is my husband a great partner!

That's my take and tale.

Peanut

A good shoe should allow your

A good shoe should allow your toes to flex up or down, and not hold it rigidly in any one position. Habitual use of shoes with toe-spring (which almost all shoes have) causes the tendons on the top of your foot to shorten and cause your toes to be habitually held in the slightly up position. This can cause some barefoot runners to have problems because it can cause the fat pad under your met. heads to shift forward and be in a bad position to provide cushioning to the met heads (https://groups.google.com/d/topic/huaraches/gUSShkjFSEg/discussion).

I've had my dharmas close to

I've had my dharmas close to a year now, wearing them nearly every day I've worked. Love 'em, no complaints on the toe spring, though some of the stitching near the heel is starting to come loose...was hoping I'd go a bit longer before needing to make any repairs.

Joe Z said:
A good shoe
Joe Z said:
Joe Z said:
A good shoe should allow your toes to flex up or down, and not hold it rigidly in any one position. Habitual use of shoes with toe-spring (which almost all shoes have) causes the tendons on the top of your foot to shorten and cause your toes to be habitually held in the slightly up position. This can cause some barefoot runners to have problems because it can cause the fat pad under your met. heads to shift forward and be in a bad position to provide cushioning to the met heads (https://groups.google.com/d/topic/huaraches/gUSShkjFSEg/discussion).

I agree with you about a good shoe. That is interesting about the fat pads and wonder if I have this problem.

Full flexibility is important, but I think it is a very difficult thing to design in a shoe. My vffs for example restrict the natural flex up when you lift. A shoe with toe spring will allow the up flex well but not the downward flex. Whereas my huaraches allow the most movement.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts