Temporary Tattoos, what would you like to see in the Store?

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I'm in the process of setting up a StrayTats drop ship account, where we can upload our artwork and make it available for purchase to our members, through our BRS store. I'm just looking for ideas on what you all would like to see available. So far, I've got Huang's foot logo, BRS logo, Run Free, TJ mentioned the Swoosh,

Thoughts? Requests?

Oh, how fun!I think

Oh, how fun!

I think something that could be put on the backs of our feet/legs...not sure what. Maybe, "I think outside the shoebox" or "Yep, they're bare!" or something....

LOVE the swoosh idea. (But will we get in trouble for trademark infringement?)

How about shoe laces for the

How about shoe laces for the tops of our feet, that'll get some looks!

Yes, I mentioned fake

Yes, I mentioned fake shoelaces before. How funny.

We were going to flip the Swoosh so it would be upside down or alter it just a bit, Beth. Thanks for getting our backs though. ;-)

Zum, how about mileage tats

Zum, how about mileage tats with barefoot prints going up the backs of the legs? It will show that yes, barefoot runners can indeed run some serious high miles barefoot.

Great ideas all! Beth,

Great ideas all!

Beth, definitely have to do some playing around with the Swoosh to cover our backs.

lol Ram, interesting. I'll see what I can find.

TJ, I like that idea. Oscar (fng.oscar.mike) mentioned 26.2, 13.1 etc. I like the footprint idea too.

Great stuff, keep em comin!

Maybe he can incorporate the

Maybe he can incorporate the footprint into the distances somehow?

I wish I had the artistic

I wish I had the artistic ability to do it. I'll ask him :) Anyone else have an artistic bone in their body like to help, please pm me! I'd love to showcase your artwork

If we do the swoosh, we

If we do the swoosh, we should put toes on it. Its was originally Prefontaine's bare footprint anyways, so its pretty appropriate. Why a shoe company has the image of a bare footprint on their shoes we'll never know. Though I guess it'll make more sense if they start doing only "minimal"-ish shoes.

OK. So I just saw this post

OK. So I just saw this post and just thought I would chime in with my professional "graphic designer" expertise. I've been designing logos and building corporate identities for my clients for 12 years now. (Check out our website: KMCREATIVE )

Tread very carefully when dealing with corporate logos and trademarks. Not sure what "swoosh" you're talking about but even if I guessed the Nike swoosh this advice should be applied to any and all copyrighted/trademarked elements, logos and taglines. Even if you alter it in some way, if it is still remotely recognizeable as a trademarked symbol you are in for a heap of trouble if the owners get wind of your great idea. With all the chatter going on out there in the two camps (shoes vs. barefoot) just assume you will be taking some risk.

That being said... I like the mileage idea. Keep it simple. Like an odometer with one number moving into position. You could have a small block of text underneath that could incorporate a tagline or name of the organization. That might work on the back of the leg or on top of the feet. The impact is more powerful when there's fewer elements placed strategically. I also like the laces idea. Very fun.

I would be happy to help out if I can, but honestly my priority is mostly mom these days with the business coming in a close second, so I can't do rush jobs or the endless revision cycles that can sometimes crop up with new clients. I am, however, very good about letting you know what I can handle and how long it will take. Really. I've gotten a lot out of BFRS so far. You guys have been a tremendous resource and source of encouragement for me. I'm willing to give some of that back. : )

Zap, you rock! Thanks so much

Zap, you rock! Thanks so much for your professional expertise! Perhaps the Swoosh isn't our best option, may just have to forego it for now since it could get us into trouble and I personally don't want to go there. As far as designs go, I'm looking to put up a few good BRS, running, barefoot running related artwork up on the site and make them available for purchase through the BRS store. Nothing too fancy or complicated. I probably won't do more than say 10 different designs. If you've got any up your sleeve I'd love to see them, I'll pm you my email. :)

Danjo, I LOVE that idea...though not sure if even going there will cause us to walk on thin ice. Flipped upside down and with toes, it's a footprint:)

I can't visualize that, Zum. 

I can't visualize that, Zum. Can you draw it in Paint and send me a rough draft. Don't worry about it not being perfect.

Zap, thanks for that feedback. Do you think an upside-down Swoosh with toes like Danjo proposes would be pushing it?

Danjo, could you post some of that original barefoot Nike logo artwork here? I couldn't find any when I searched. Sure would like to see it.

TJ, you're killin me. You're

TJ, you're killin me. You're asking me to draw???
you asked for it:p

like the Morton's toe? Added

like the Morton's toe? Added that just for you ;)

That is adorable!  Now why

That is adorable! Now why would Nike get their panties in a wad over somethin' so darn cute?

lmbo, well you know big

lmbo, well you know big corporations, intimidated by little, cute yet powerful statement makers ;)

Zum - I totally got what you

Zum - I totally got what you saw before I saw that pic. I think you might like some of my ideas. Slightly more simplified though. As long as its apparent there is a Nike logo involved (even if its upside down or backwards) you're dealing with infringement. Corporate design is such a sticky area. The idea is to push the boundaries without crossing the lines. I'll work on some stuff this weekend and show you guys.

That would be awesome Zap,

That would be awesome Zap, thanks :)

I'm LOL here.  This thread

I'm LOL here. This thread got me curious about the origin of the Nike swoosh. Here's what Wikipedia says about it (emphasis is mine)...

The Nike "swoosh'" is a design created in 1971 by Carolyn Davidson, a graphic design student at Portland State University. She met Phil Knight while he was teaching accounting classes and she started doing some freelance work for his company, Blue Ribbon Sports (BRS). The Nike Swoosh logo represents the wing in the famous statue of the Greek Goddess of victory, Nike.

BRS needed a new brand for a new line of athletic footwear it was preparing to introduce in 1972. Knight approached Davidson for design ideas, and she agreed to provide them, charging a rate of US$2 per hour.

In June 1971, Davidson presented a number of design options to Knight and other BRS executives, and they ultimately selected the mark now known globally as the Swoosh. "I don't love it," Knight told her, "but I think it will grow on me." Davidson submitted a bill for US$35 for her work.[3] (In 1983, Knight gave Davidson a diamond Swoosh ring and an envelope filled with Nike stock to express his gratitude.)

I have actually read that

I have actually read that before and thought how ironic, spooky in a good sort of way. Thanks for bringing it up here, Karen.