Tech fabric by the yard?

I've Googled Coolmax fabric

I've Googled Coolmax fabric before and found places--don't remember what any of them were, but I know it's available.

I don't know about tech

I don't know about tech fabrics but I read about that woman who used thrifted wool sweater to make running shorts. Wool is an amazin "tech" fabric: moisture wicking, antibacterial (anti-stink), warm in the cold and cool in the warm. I love the Icebreaker brand but it's so pricey.

http://resweater.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-tutorial-tuesday-recycled-merino.html

If you make that skirt post a picture, I want to try making something similar!

peacekaren, try "The Rain

peacekaren, try "The Rain Shed"

sloutre, it is possible to make all sorts of things from recycled and refashioned wool, but in case you're thinking of trying it, just remember all wool is not the same.

Merino wool is special and is pretty much the only kind used in athletic gear. Besides the type of wool, there are mechanical treatments they sometimes do to improve washability. You definitely wouldn't want to make running shorts out of non-merino, non-superwash wool, the kind you'd often find in nice sweaters and hats. It could be super scratchy and unbearably hot. Crafty athlete beware!

I know this stuff because I live with a professional yarn fanatic. :hat:

Thanks for all the help.  I

Thanks for all the help. I also found a suggestion on-line to search on "wicking fabric" which brings up several resources. I doubt I'll get to making it any time soon, but it's on my list.

I've tried on every brand of running skirt I can find but have been unable to find one that fits my body shape and looks nice. My waist is 1-2 sizes smaller than my hips, which means that the skirts are either too tight across my hips or gap at my waist. If anyone else has a similar problem and has found a running skirt that works for you, please share details. When I ran in my witch costume over Halloween I discovered why everyone is such a fan of running skirts. Now I really want one.

Peace,

Karen

Definitley, definitely

Definitley, definitely RockyWoods. If they don't have what you want, they can direct you to the right place. They're awesome, and in the same materials league as www.strapworks.com for nylon straps.

http://www.rockywoods.com/

stomper wrote:peacekaren,

stomper said:
peacekaren, try "The Rain Shed"

sloutre, it is possible to make all sorts of things from recycled and refashioned wool, but in case you're thinking of trying it, just remember all wool is not the same.

Merino wool is special and is pretty much the only kind used in athletic gear. Besides the type of wool, there are mechanical treatments they sometimes do to improve washability. You definitely wouldn't want to make running shorts out of non-merino, non-superwash wool, the kind you'd often find in nice sweaters and hats. It could be super scratchy and unbearably hot. Crafty athlete beware!

I know this stuff because I live with a professional yarn fanatic. :hat:

The reason merino is mainly used, is because it is thinner & softer than most wools. I prefer not to use superwash, because of the chemicals they use, but it will make washing easier if it is superwash. I just handwash my wool running clothes, and lay they flat to dry, so it is not an issue for me that they are not superwash. I only have to wash my wool running pants after every 4-6 runs, and I have 2 pair, so it's not a chore. For my outer layer, I wear a cashmere hoodie. Wool & cashmere have the same properties. I wear a lambswool & cashmere hat, and merino mittens, that I made from recycled sweaters as well. Even if it is not merino, wool will not get hot (unless you are wearing too many layers), like other fabrics, because it is naturally insulated. When I wear synthetics running, I feel hot & cold. Whenever I wear wool or cashmere, I stay comfortable from start to finish, especially my wool running tights that I made.

Hi resweater! Nice to see

Hi resweater!

Nice to see you here. I follow your blog and knew you were running but I had no idea you were interested in barefoot/minimalist running.

Welcome.

Steph/Sloutre

if wool is the outer wear,

if wool is the outer wear, what are you wearing underneath? what about when it's cold and raining?

Mike

Wool works very well as a

Wool works very well as a base layer or a mid-layer. The only thing I wouldn't use it for is if I need a wind proof outer layer, obviously. Rain isn't that much of a problem with wool though. Sure, it gets wet but it stays warm even when wet. Personally though, I prefer a thin, wicking, synthetic layer closest to my body to stay dry. On top of that, I add as many layers of wool I think I need and top it off with a wind proof outer layer.

migangelo wrote:if wool is

migangelo said:
if wool is the outer wear, what are you wearing underneath? what about when it's cold and raining?Mike

Merino is fine next to skin because it has a very fine gauge - other wools are very itchy. That said I find it great for long, slow distance above about 40/5 degrees otherwise I just overheat too much. Below that I can go as hard as I'm able without getting too hot.

I ran almost 20 miles last Thursday in a merino top, starting at 35/2 degrees and ending at about 45/8 degrees - the first 13 miles were very comfortable, even though I shed a layer after the first 6.5 miles, the last 6.5 I felt I was getting parboiled. I find merino has limited applications for heavy exercise for most of the year - much though my friends from New Zealand would have me think otherwise!

sloutre wrote:Hi

sloutre said:
Hi resweater!

Nice to see you here. I follow your blog and knew you were running but I had no idea you were interested in barefoot/minimalist running.

Welcome.

Steph/Sloutre

Hi Steph!

Sorry it took me so long to respond! Christmas is a busy, busy time for me, so I put learning about barefoot running on the back burner, but now i'm ready to learn! I'm going to post some questions in a new thread, because I need lots of advice!

Thanks,

Kris :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts