tarahumara shoes

So, I've been thinking. You all help me here.

I want to run again, but I ask myself, how can I? When I have tried in the past, it has always left me with pain that lasts through the night and into the next day, even after resting. On the one hand, I think if I had the right footwear, thick soles, no toe box (such as running sandals), I could try. Then I think, what a waste of money for me to even try, when all the really thick huaraches are so expensive. They probably wouldn't work for me anyway. sigh. Am I ready yet? Will my nerves ever get "well enough" to allow me to run again, even just a mile or two?

Reactions: Sid
Hey, Canary, I borrowed a tagline from your signature. Thanks!

Actually, in Matthew (10:9-10):

Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your belts,
no bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor a staff; for the laborer deserves his food.

But in Mark (6:8-9):

He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts;
but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.

Luke agrees with Matthew (Luke 10:3-4):

Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.
Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and salute no one on the road.

But of course, the Bible has no contradictions. ;)

So, I've been thinking. You all help me here.

I want to run again, but I ask myself, how can I? When I have tried in the past, it has always left me with pain that lasts through the night and into the next day, even after resting. On the one hand, I think if I had the right footwear, thick soles, no toe box (such as running sandals), I could try. Then I think, what a waste of money for me to even try, when all the really thick huaraches are so expensive. They probably wouldn't work for me anyway. sigh. Am I ready yet? Will my nerves ever get "well enough" to allow me to run again, even just a mile or two?

No, don't give up TJ. You will find something that works. I was thinking about what you are looking for and I thought about flip flops. Could you modify a pair with a better strapping system?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
No, don't give up TJ. You will find something that works. I was thinking about what you are looking for and I thought about flip flops. Could you modify a pair with a better strapping system?
Thank you. I'll hunt for the right ones if I can't find any I want to afford.

Thanks for that, Johan. I love the thickness on the Tevas, but the problem I would have is in the arch. It seems all of the Tevas have the same arch. When I wear shoes that have a raised arch like these, it causes a lot of pain rather quickly.

1003987-BLK_3_cr.jpg

I thought they were just flat, but indeed they aren't... Isn't Steven Sashen himself able to help you out? Since you're promoting his footwear and all...
I have a couple of his models, but the thickest is still way too thin for me. :(

TJ - have you thought about doing what Canary did? I know many shoe repair places that have vibram soling material they use for resoling shoes. All they do is cut to shape and glue it on (had my Catskill moccassins resoled this way). Perhaps they'd be willing to just cut some soles for you out of the thicker/stiffer material if you provide them a pattern (or possibly use a pre-made Vibram sole)? Then you could do the rest (punch holes, do the lacing, etc)? Could be much cheaper than buying pre-made..?

TJ, I don't think many people realize that Jesus on at least one occasion (maybe more, I need to study it) encouraged his disciples to actually travel tough terrain barefoot.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
TJ - have you thought about doing what Canary did? I know many shoe repair places that have vibram soling material they use for resoling shoes. All they do is cut to shape and glue it on (had my Catskill moccassins resoled this way). Perhaps they'd be willing to just cut some soles for you out of the thicker/stiffer material if you provide them a pattern (or possibly use a pre-made Vibram sole)? Then you could do the rest (punch holes, do the lacing, etc)? Could be much cheaper than buying pre-made..?
Very good idea, Ky! Thank you.

The thing is, I probably couldn't run if I try. When I have in the past, like I said, it's ended badly (with and without shoes). I guess I should explain.

I can walk fine barefoot on smooth, clean, predictable surfaces (like in stores, in my home, around my yard...which kinda hurts) for half an hour or more, sometimes an hour or more before I start to feel the pain coming on. If I have to wear shoes in these places, then my feet will start to hurt sooner, much sooner than if I am left to go barefoot.

Running, well, I haven't had too much success in the very few times I have tried since my last surgery August 2012. I have tried to run (and walk) barefoot on surfaces like asphalt, rough concrete, and trails, but because of all the damage done to my feet initially by shoes, then by treatments (needles, cryo) and surgeries to correct the nerve damage, it hurts (like foot hell) to not wear shoes. But then again when I do wear shoes to try to walk around the neighborhood, my walk ends with pain anyway. Whether I am barefoot or shod on these types of surfaces, my feet hurt during my walk, after my walk, and into the night and next day, even after resting. It can take a day, sometimes two, for my nerves to calm down.

I used to tell my hubby, before my last surgeries but after cyrosurgery, that I had only so much time on my feet each day, and I preferred to do it running. I guess I can't say that anymore. Somehow, I am hoping that maybe if I had the "right" footwear, then maybe I could complete a loop or two around my neighborhood walking. Running may be out of the question, so would any real long distances.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS