Summer's nearly over...

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
...Except for those of us in the mildew belt (Houston and New Orleans, etc.) or in the southern hemisphere, we can nearly taste the passing of another sweaty summer. I think of this because I nearly cried toward the end of my run this morning. Temp was only 75F, but the humidity was bumping up toward 100%. The air felt like somebody had already breathed all the O2 out of it. I opted out of 7.5 miles and made do with 6 and slower than the group I had started with. (Yes, Dama, I forgot to wear my big girl nickers.)

I did meet a new BF runner today, though. We were running the opposite way on the trail, but we met on the parking lot as I was cooling off. He's been running BF for 4 years, and coaches a girls CC team for a local private school. That was the coolest part of the morning.

Wow, met another barefoot runner?! What are the odds?

Good riddence. I am tired of summer and the low mileage that comes with it. I for one cannot wait for our mild wet winters here in OR. Perfect running weather. I wish my body handled heat better because it would be pretty cool to be able to run well year round.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Winter is finishing in my part of the world. Suck it up, Northern Hemisphere! :D

That said, I understand how the passing of summer can make you feel all wistful.

Wistful like I'm wistful for mildew and jock itch. Fall is the best season for running, imo.

I'll still take summer over any other season despite all of it's pitfalls.

Good riddence. I am tired of summer and the low mileage that comes with it. I for one cannot wait for our mild wet winters here in OR. Perfect running weather. I wish my body handled heat better because it would be pretty cool to be able to run well year round.
Agree partially with NickW about low milage during the summer, although winters here in Sweden are just too long and cold. Please make it a short mild summer thanks!

Reactions: NickW
pssh. my mileage increased in the "summer".

Gentile, if I had to deal with snow much I would probably feel like you, but here in the Portland area of Oregon we only get a couple days of snow a year and maybe a handful of icy days on top of that. 8 months of the year is great running weather, unless you like the heat and humidity, then you get 12 months.

I'll still take summer over any other season despite all of it's pitfalls.

I'll take Summer over Winter and Spring anyday...here in Georgia the Fall is just wonderful and hangs on a long time but Spring is not as nice as it follows the calender really close.

I adapt really well to the heat in general and can run into the mid 90's on trail runs. By the calender Winter is all shoe running for me anything below about 40F and my feet go numb after more than a mile or so. The latest I've ever run barefoot at the beginning of Winter was Jan 31st did a 20 mile trail run once usually I can't run barefoot after Thanksgiving.

This has been a really odd year...full Summer really never got going all the way till about a week and half ago...suddenly now its Summer everyday but Fall will be here soon and hopefully will go on to late November at least.

I'm not against shod running in cold weather for trail running and kinda like it for those times...its a mentality switch for me. No pavement shod running for me though...can't stand that unless I'm just testing out some random winter shoes or something like that.

I'll take Summer over Winter and Spring anyday...here in Georgia the Fall is just wonderful and hangs on a long time but Spring is not as nice as it follows the calender really close.

I adapt really well to the heat in general and can run into the mid 90's on trail runs. By the calender Winter is all shoe running for me anything below about 40F and my feet go numb after more than a mile or so. The latest I've ever run barefoot at the beginning of Winter was Jan 31st did a 20 mile trail run once usually I can't run barefoot after Thanksgiving.

This has been a really odd year...full Summer really never got going all the way till about a week and half ago...suddenly now its Summer everyday but Fall will be here soon and hopefully will go on to late November at least.

I'm not against shod running in cold weather for trail running and kinda like it for those times...its a mentality switch for me. No pavement shod running for me though...can't stand that unless I'm just testing out some random winter shoes or something like that.

I like spring here, Mokie. It's so cool and comfortable...and beautiful to run in.

Remember that run we did with Jim at Stone Mountain in the snow? Wasn't that in February? I slipped on the granite slab on the side of the mountain. Ouch! You took your shoes off and ran half of it completely barefoot! Talk about some cold toes! :coldfeet: And I got a smiley for that too! Ha!

Reactions: happysongbird
I like spring here, Mokie. It's so cool and comfortable...and beautiful to run in.

Remember that run we did with Jim at Stone Mountain in the snow? Wasn't that in February? I slipped on the granite slab on the side of the mountain. Ouch! You took your shoes off and ran half of it completely barefoot! Talk about some cold toes! :coldfeet: And I got a smiley for that too! Ha!

I remember... a rare snow run in Georgia...some how I didn't freeze my feet!
GroupRun5a.jpgGroupRun3.jpgGroupRun1a.jpgGroupRun2.jpg

Reactions: Bare Lee
No wonder I slipped and fell on my ass! Geez! That stuff was icy and slushy. Notice we were wearing the "original" VFFs, long before all these pretty designs?

I miss it. I'd take a pair of crappy water shoes any day over doing nothing.

Reactions: Sid
I like the theater of seasons, but for me as well, fall is the best, except for the acorns. Running between 40-60 degrees F is perfect. Still, I like running in spring rain, and that tingly feeling running down my sweaty spine in the summer heat. I even like the mild numbness of running barefoot in the winter. Just wish there was a way that we could do away with January and February. Take those two months out of winter and add one apiece to fall and spring, which are only two months long here, usually. If November and December were December and January, and March turned into February, that'd be just the right amount of winter for me.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I like the theater of seasons, but for me as well, fall is the best, except for the acorns. Running between 40-60 degrees F is perfect. Still, I like running in spring rain, and that tingly feeling running down my sweaty spine in the summer heat. I even like the mild numbness of running barefoot in the winter. Just wish there was a way that we could do away with January and February. Take those two months out of winter and add one apiece to fall and spring, which are only two months long here, usually. If November and December were December and January, and March turned into February, that'd be just the right amount of winter for me.
I like your new sig Lee, but should have first AG since you were by yourself, weren't you?
Back to topic I would love, love, love if the calendar had only four months, June, july, August and September.
That will make me so happy:happy:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test