Strollers

Striped Toad

Barefooters
Mar 8, 2011
I'm looking at getting a running stroller to use with our twins this spring, they'll be 9 months. I've been looking on craigslist for a while, and I've narrowed it down to the Baby Trend Expedition double jogging stroller. The stroller I'm looking at, I think is an older style, with a fixed 16" front wheel, as opposed to the current style having the option to have fixed or swivel, with a 12" front wheel. To ME, it seems having the larger wheel would be desired. Yes, no? It is a drawback not being able to hav the a swivel though. I can get both versions at about the same price. I do street running up 10ks. Any ideas/suggestions? Any input on this model? Also, any input on bf running with a stroller?

I don't know anything about that model as I use a BOB, but it is nice having the locking/unlocking front wheel as when you use the stroller while not running it is nice to be able to unlock the front wheel. The drawback to this is that you may have to periodically adjust the straightness of the front wheel mid run as it is not fixed permanently. My BOB has the big wheels on it and they seem to be great. I personally was not impressed with any of the other jogging strollers I had looked at prior to getting the BOB. The BOB was far and away the better stroller, but it had one massive drawback, the price... Also, having to buy attachments separately sucked too (water bottle holder). Overall though my wife and I have decided that we would probably not get anything but a BOB again as this one has been really good overall. There was a flaw in the design of the stroller handle though, which is a simple home fix. The strap would cut the foam on the handle if you stored the stroller all folded up. The home fix for it is to use some black electrical tape (less visible) and just wrap around the end that the strap pulls to. This prevents that strap from cutting into the foam when it is all folded up. If you have any other questions about running with strollers feel free to ask as that is how I mostly run.

Thanks. Ya, I hear BOBs are great, but the cheapest I've found used are still over 300. Too much for me right now. Generally I graze up to a 10ft span ahead of me while running (for rocks, glass, etc), and am a little apprehensive how things will be with the stroller. Generally, how is the view? I'm wondering if the 16" wheel will be that much of a benifit over the 12" in regards to ease.

I would guess that the 4" difference would probably be very minimal difference as far as you are concerned. As far as scanning, I got to where I would scan for big stuff probably 20-25 feet ahead. Little stuff I learned is not always very easy to avoid with the stroller blocking your view so you have to learn how to land on little stuff occaisionally.

As long as the back wheels are 16", then the size of the front wheel doesn't make that much of a difference. The front wheel doesn't bear all the weight, it is only for stability. Make sure there is clearance for your feet behind the stroller, especially when you increase your stride length. Going downhill I have come close to kicking the back of my stroller. Also, as for watching out for stuff on the road, I thought it would be a problem, but it isn't as big of a problem as I thought it was going to be. Just make sure to keep your feet clear of the back wheels. I almost gave myself a heart attack one time because I wasn't paying attention to where my feet were going and my foot hit the wheel.

Thanks for the input. I can't wait to take them to their first race. Speaking of which, it will be in March, which usually us between 40s - 50s here. Any recommendations on how to wrap them up? I've seen the bundle me, and wondered about a rain/storm shield? How cold is safe? I know windchill from running is a factor.

I've run with my son down to 30 deg F in the stroller. I make sure he is bundled up real well with a warm coat, hat, and gloves as well as a thermal blanket across his legs. In addition to that when it's really cold I will put the rain shield on which keeps the wind off of him and keeps him warmer. Sometimes I get a bit too overboard as he is like me and stays really warm naturally, but if I don't my wife will have my head.

When I lived in MI, I attached a small digital thermometer to the stroller that had a wire to take outside readings and put the wire inside the stroller between the kids. Then if it got too hot inside the stroller, I could open the windshield and if it was starting to get too cold, I could put a blanket in with them or return home.

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts