Stress vs form

Bill B

Barefooters
Dec 28, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Just an observation, but recently I have noticed that if while running, my thoughts are focused on the daily grind, work/home stresses, my form goes to crap! I find that if I focus on relaxing, whether the tracks in the ditch are doe or buck, the smell of wood burning fireplaces as I run by etc, my runs are more enjoyable and my muscles are less tense. Just a thought!!

True. Just one of the many of the reasons I run is to decompress from worldly activities and stresses of life. That alone time when running is a time to think of nothing and make sure it's about the moment, my surroundings, and just being outside.

The shoulders are a great indication if you are running stressed. If you need to drop the shoulders, you are not running relaxed.

I'm getting slowly better at keeping the shoulders relaxed, it's a long-ingrained habit of mine to carry the stress I feel in the shoulders.

I also try to imagine my legs as being feathery light springs, that seems to help.

Every now and then I'm able to zone out and obliterate all language from my thinking. Maybe if I keep practicing at it some day I'll have a whole run where I don't think anything that is expressed in words.

I
Amen.

I find that just exercising presence is often the ticket for me. I love to be in that groove of breathing, posture, terrain, surroundings, underfoot texture and temp awareness, etc.

Save the stress for the treadmill!

I agree! Sometimes it's hard when it's dark, windy and -20C!

Reactions: Bare Lee
I

I agree! Sometimes it's hard when it's dark, windy and -20C!

Move south young man!

I am certainly with you. This winter has put an especially major bite in my running. I can't believe that I'd actually look forward to running indoors on a track that's 1/16 mile long! Spring is JUST AROUND THE CORNER, though.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts