Concurrent Strength Training & Running 2015: Eight-Week Workout Cycle I

I usually force myself to drink a protein shake in the morning but I have no problems lifting or biking and running my normal commute on an empty stomach. For races I usually put down 1,000 calories pre race though and it really does help. Other than overloads I personally don't think timing has much affect on me so skipping meals in the morning will probably be my strategy and then cutting things slowly like beer and portions will be my next step. Its a fine line though when I am doing this much activity. I might even be ok with 20 pounds if a significant portion is fat.

How's the injury any better?

I usually force myself to drink a protein shake in the morning but I have no problems lifting or biking and running my normal commute on an empty stomach. For races I usually put down 1,000 calories pre race though and it really does help. Other than overloads I personally don't think timing has much affect on me so skipping meals in the morning will probably be my strategy and then cutting things slowly like beer and portions will be my next step. Its a fine line though when I am doing this much activity. I might even be ok with 20 pounds if a significant portion is fat.

How's the injury any better?
Yah, I guess as in all things, we have to translate the elite protocols. I think all that nutrition nitpicking about ratios of nutrients and timing and whatnot probably only matters if you're trying to set a record or something or want to get on a stage in a bikini bottom and show off your veins. I wonder if it matters much for us? Like even if I followed the T-Nation ideas on pre- and post-workout nutrition, over a year, would I reach my goals that much sooner? Best to eat a normal, healthy diet with a slight calorie deficit. Beer is fat though, no way around it. I don't think it's a problem though if drunk with a meal and fully oxidized or whatever it is that happens, before going to sleep. I think it takes an hour per drink. So one or two shouldn't be a problem. This is more intuition than science though.

In any case, I'm with you. This year weight loss and running fitness are reasserting themselves as worthy fitness goals, after a year of focusing too much on strength gains. Gotta find the balance . . .

Yeah, the injury has me in a reflective mood. But it's been good insofar as my fitness OCD has greatly reduced while laid up. Still, this week I'm finally starting to notice some improvement, so I'm thinking a bit more about how I should approach things once I'm able to do the lower body lifts again. I'm hoping a combination of a more gradual plan, more warm-up, better sequencing, using squats as a deadlift limiter, and greater sensitivity to early warning signs, will be enough to keep me out of trouble. This happened 15 years ago too, so there is some kind of weakness there, and I don't want it to become chronic.

Yesterday the pain was worse. I thought I had massaged and stretched enough, but it was a little painful while going on my walk. Then I woke up at 3am with pain. Need to do a better job prepping everything before bedtime with a thorough massage and stretching session.

I might try to do my first lifting in two weeks this afternoon. Gotta do something. I'm starting to feel real soggy. I also drink more beer when I'm in pain, in violation of the above-stated principle . . .

well, i am in imprisoned in jetlag central. going out was basically fine, but the return is not really working. and that means that the workouts and running have not happened. hopefully, today i will be able to do at least a short run and a light-load thing.

i'm glad to hear that you are healing up, lee. may the enthusiasm continue to be at the appropriate level!

well, i am in imprisoned in jetlag central. going out was basically fine, but the return is not really working. and that means that the workouts and running have not happened. hopefully, today i will be able to do at least a short run and a light-load thing.

i'm glad to hear that you are healing up, lee. may the enthusiasm continue to be at the appropriate level!
Thanks BA! Feels good to be back in the game. I was starting to get pretty soggy.

I'm doing my best to restrain myself. It ain't easy, but I think the pain I experienced this time around has convinced me of the 'go-slow' approach's merits. I have a loose plan charted out on an Excel doc. This week I'm keeping the squats at 85, then next week I'll start adding weight in ten-pound increments. Once I get to 125, I'll start doing light deadlifts I think. I'm also thinking of only doing deadlifts once a week once I'm fully rehabbed, or else do them pretty light two out of the three weekly workouts.

I was happy yesterday that I could run a bit without any issues. I think this injury has rebalanced my enthusiasm between running and lifting, and I'm kind of psyched to bring up the mobility/plyometric component as well.

Where did you travel to?

Abide, have you ever heard of Steve Justa?

http://ironstrong.org/index.php/topic/818-steve-justas-singles-routines/
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/29397/

Might be something to try in a future cycle . . .

I have heard of him before but had not delved that deep into his ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Iron-Steel-Book-Strength/dp/0926888072
$12.99 for the kindle!

Yeah maybe it would be interesting. I probably couldn't make the 7 days a week plan but the other ones seem doable. The 70% number is kind of where I am at right now and it feels good.

I've been seeing some good results on the squat. Had 90kgs on there today and they went up very easy. Doing the 5 x 2 works well for me. Although I am thinking I might need to change things up one of these days?

i was in "incredible india". so an 11 1/2 hour shift, stay six days, then an 11 1/2 hour shift back. so that messes with you pretty badly. and the super-awesome 15 1/2 hour flight from abu dhabi to o'hare is useful for only one thing: bragging about your misery like i am doing now.

while i was there, it was obviously much warmer that where i live, but i wasn't running much faster. i guess the travel fatigue, jet lag, running in darkness, and dry/polluted air tended to slow me down. by the end of the week i was going more like i would like, but then it was time to go home. and even though i've been home for a few days, i'm still messed up. hopefully today, though.

I have heard of him before but had not delved that deep into his ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Iron-Steel-Book-Strength/dp/0926888072
$12.99 for the kindle!

Yeah maybe it would be interesting. I probably couldn't make the 7 days a week plan but the other ones seem doable. The 70% number is kind of where I am at right now and it feels good.

I've been seeing some good results on the squat. Had 90kgs on there today and they went up very easy. Doing the 5 x 2 works well for me. Although I am thinking I might need to change things up one of these days?
So what's the overall plan? Keep at everything 70% max then move up when it starts to get easy?

One of Steve Justa's every other day singles plans might be worth a try, with some modifications to allow for all six basic movements. I dunno though, that's a lot of sets and therefore time. It's interesting you've been getting good results with squat doubles though. I wonder if I should consider always doing squats and deadifts in the lower rep ranges? This injury I got, and I think last fall's strain too, came after several reps had already been completed. Maybe its fatigue that sets me up for injury? I'm still convinced it was mostly a lack of warm-up though.

i was in "incredible india". so an 11 1/2 hour shift, stay six days, then an 11 1/2 hour shift back. so that messes with you pretty badly. and the super-awesome 15 1/2 hour flight from abu dhabi to o'hare is useful for only one thing: bragging about your misery like i am doing now.

while i was there, it was obviously much warmer that where i live, but i wasn't running much faster. i guess the travel fatigue, jet lag, running in darkness, and dry/polluted air tended to slow me down. by the end of the week i was going more like i would like, but then it was time to go home. and even though i've been home for a few days, i'm still messed up. hopefully today, though.
I once took a 15-hour flight from Qatar to Houston. Got to watch a lot of movies and eat pretty good food. It was cramped though and you're taller than me. Still, better than a 15-hour 3rd World bus ride.

Anyway, good luck adjusting back.

I'm not sure I have been keeping the weights pretty steady with the typical 6-7 lifts a day we developed last time. Been swamped at work and haven't had any time to work with my lifting file. But the plan will be to work things up very gradually in the future on your advice. Plus an injury at this point would be very frustrating as I put together a rather ambitious race schedule over the next 8 months... here's a link in case you are interested, I stole the name from our plan https://6movements.wordpress.com/race-and-event-calendar-2/

I like the doubles more from the mental aspect. Squats have always been a motivation sapper for me so usually I try to knock out all 5 sets during one song. But I do see my self reverting back to 5 reps eventually once I get past this mental block and start seeing good returns. I am at the point where I don't hate them anymore.

I do think the loads need to be significantly less for a 5 rep set vs. a 1 rep set and the 87% of the 1RM seems like a good starting spot for them. The main thing I notice is the first 2-3 reps are probably good at your 80% range but once the 4th and 5th rep your fatigue level changes and all the sudden you are problem lifting closer to 90-95% max at that point.

Or you could simplify and take 70% of your 1RM which is the same thing...

Yeah about warmup's since you had your issue I do three sets of everything now to make sure I include a light warmup set, and I always do my jump rope, swings and body weight squats first thing to get an overall temp raise. If one good thing came out of your injury it's that I learned a lesson, not that it makes you feel any better, sorry.

Although on today's run I now have a foot issue like tofp and my traps are killing me. I have no idea what's going on? Thinking about reverting back to my five fingers next week for my road runs to work.

I'm not sure I have been keeping the weights pretty steady with the typical 6-7 lifts a day we developed last time. Been swamped at work and haven't had any time to work with my lifting file. But the plan will be to work things up very gradually in the future on your advice. Plus an injury at this point would be very frustrating as I put together a rather ambitious race schedule over the next 8 months... here's a link in case you are interested, I stole the name from our plan https://6movements.wordpress.com/race-and-event-calendar-2/
Wow, that's ambitious. Are you going to try to do all those races before Leadville, or is it more a list of possibilities?
I like the doubles more from the mental aspect. Squats have always been a motivation sapper for me so usually I try to knock out all 5 sets during one song. But I do see my self reverting back to 5 reps eventually once I get past this mental block and start seeing good returns. I am at the point where I don't hate them anymore.
It's funny how squats are so off-putting at first, but they grow on you. I wonder where I'd be if I had been squatting and deadlifting as much as I've been benching all these years. Probably a lot stronger.
I do think the loads need to be significantly less for a 5 rep set vs. a 1 rep set and the 87% of the 1RM seems like a good starting spot for them. The main thing I notice is the first 2-3 reps are probably good at your 80% range but once the 4th and 5th rep your fatigue level changes and all the sudden you are problem lifting closer to 90-95% max at that point.

Or you could simplify and take 70% of your 1RM which is the same thing...
Yeah, I think actually doubles and triples feel best for me, but I'm trying to limit my intensity. I don't know though, maybe 3x3 is the way to go. For the time being, I'll stick to five reps on 'Volume' Day, and probably 'Density' Day too.
Yeah about warmup's since you had your issue I do three sets of everything now to make sure I include a light warmup set, and I always do my jump rope, swings and body weight squats first thing to get an overall temp raise. If one good thing came out of your injury it's that I learned a lesson, not that it makes you feel any better, sorry.
Ha, maybe I need you to learn my lesson first so I can copy you. In any case, hearing you and BA take this stuff seriously helps me take it seriously too. That and the fricking pain I experienced.

I have to admit, I'm in a decent place mentally now, but I can hardly wait for the day when I can start pushing things again. As my Chiro said, both times I was given a warning. If I had stopped immediately, no harm would've come, so I'm hopeful I won't have to hold myself back too artificially in the future. That is, I think after that area regains its strength, I should be able to reintroduce a little intensity. As long as I go super gradual, I don't think this will be a lasting issue. Fingers crossed.

I dunno if it's here or reading too many meathead articles, but I still really like the 1000-pound goal of 400 DL, 320 Squat, and 280 Bench. If I can do that and get down to a 8mm aerobic pace, I'll be very satisfied. I'll feel golden, to use one of Rudy Blagojevich's favorite terms, but without the fantastic hair.

I like the idea of going a little lighter even if it means meeting my goals later. It would make the workouts a little easier and faster to get through. I'm getting tired of thinking about strength training and all the possibilities. Hopefully by the end of this cycle I'll have settled into a workable version of the Texas Method and can just coast for a cycle or two, let the gains come to me . . .
Although on today's run I now have a foot issue like tofp and my traps are killing me. I have no idea what's going on? Thinking about reverting back to my five fingers next week for my road runs to work.
I get tofp a little still, once in a while, but rolling my lower leg with the stick and my arches with my foot roller always takes care of it. It's strange your traps are bothering you since you haven't been going so heavy on the deads. Are you doing upper body mobility stuff?

No I signed up for all of them as training opportunities for Leadville, but now looking back some of them are ambitious. The 65k with 4000m elevation climb should be fun.

Yeah I do the yoga stuff still almost daily but I am wondering if the trap issue was from me holding posture strangely on my run it started right after that this morning? Maybe even my headlamp?

Thanks for the roller tips I'm gonna try them later.

I think the punch the clock mentality might be a good practice, just set slow growth goals and if you have that good day go for it but don't adjust every day after that based on a good day. Now you have me wondering if doing squats and deadlifts 3 days a week the 2-3 rep range might be optimal? Something to think about I guess? Maybe even a regular variation 5-3-2? Maybe I'll try that next cycle. I like the 2 x 5 at increasing weights so maybe a natural progression for next cycle will be a ascending weights and descending reps.

Alright gotta go update my log.

No I signed up for all of them as training opportunities for Leadville, but now looking back some of them are ambitious. The 65k with 4000m elevation climb should be fun.

Yeah I do the yoga stuff still almost daily but I am wondering if the trap issue was from me holding posture strangely on my run it started right after that this morning? Maybe even my headlamp?

Thanks for the roller tips I'm gonna try them later.

I think the punch the clock mentality might be a good practice, just set slow growth goals and if you have that good day go for it but don't adjust every day after that based on a good day. Now you have me wondering if doing squats and deadlifts 3 days a week the 2-3 rep range might be optimal? Something to think about I guess? Maybe even a regular variation 5-3-2? Maybe I'll try that next cycle. I like the 2 x 5 at increasing weights so maybe a natural progression for next cycle will be a ascending weights and descending reps.

Alright gotta go update my log.
Good luck with the training. I will be fun to see how it all unfolds.

Yah, I could see how the headlamp might be the culprit. I tried a headlamp a few times but it didn't feel comfortable, and I could see how it might subtly influence one's posture.

I think there might be a general formula that says the more muscle mass you use, the lower the rep count should be. Maybe upper body stuff should always be 3-8 reps, and lower body 1-5?

Trying to find a little variety, but with a punch-the-clock approach, that's why I like the idea of the Texas Method, or some bastardization of it, because it schedules in some variety in the basic parameters--volume, frequency, intensity, density--but without being overly complicated. In bare form, Volume day (Monday) is simply lower weight, more sets/reps. Intensity Day (Friday) is higher weight, fewer sets/reps. Rippetoe has Recovery Day (Wednesday) in the middle, but I'm calling it Density Day, and will do a hodgepodge of assistance lifts, some plyometric stuff, bodyweight exercises, and some mobility stuff I think. All light weight so it qualifies as a recovery day, but I don't really see the point of doing the same six-seven lifts I did on Monday and Friday as recovery. I think the basic blueprint of Medium/volume, Light/recovery, and Heavy/intensity, is all that matters, and will hopefully keep me from overtraining.

I uploaded the latest permutation along with my cycle goals. The first and second cycle numbers are off now with the injury, but hopefully sometime by the third cycle I'll be more or less back on track. I've tied the deadlift weight to the squat weight at a 5:4 ratio. If all goes well, by the end of the year, I'll have met the 1000-pound goal. If not, next year. Each cycle can be adjusted according to the results of the previous one. These are just potential projections.

Of course, it's always tempting to go back to my old, naive method of simply lifting by feel, then adding weight when it starts to feel easy.

Attachments

• ST 2015-Cycle 1.15.02.01.pdf
    291.1 KB · Views: 3
-- week 4: january 25-31 --
monday: 49 pullups (+0lbs)
tuesday: 56 pullups (+0lbs)
thursday: 85 pullups (+0lbs)
friday: 38 pullups (+8lbs)
Pullupalooza!
Inv Rows - 2 x 7/6/5

Went for a light easy workout as my back is still bothering me.
How do you like those inverted rows?

Hope your back heals up quick. Is it just tightness or does it feel like a pull or a sprain?

Pullupalooza!

more like jet-lag-a-palooza! so that is the only exercise i've been able to fit into my non-schedule. when i spring forth out of bed wide awake at 3am, i can't go workout because my "gym" is in my bedroom and i have to slide the bed over to get a place to stand for the squats/press/rows/deadlift. i don't think my wife would appreciate the ride nor the intermittent clinking that would wake her up right when she had just fallen back asleep. my chinup station is downstairs on a different doorjamb.

i think i may finally be getting close to being coordinated with those around me. so today, i will probably try to get the lifting in during the day in case my evening ends up horizontal again. and hopefully a run in the giant yet mild snowstorm that is currently dropping flakes on us (i'm thinking moccassins because all that wet snow will just suck the heat out like none other...).

more like jet-lag-a-palooza! so that is the only exercise i've been able to fit into my non-schedule. when i spring forth out of bed wide awake at 3am, i can't go workout because my "gym" is in my bedroom and i have to slide the bed over to get a place to stand for the squats/press/rows/deadlift. i don't think my wife would appreciate the ride nor the intermittent clinking that would wake her up right when she had just fallen back asleep. my chinup station is downstairs on a different doorjamb.

i think i may finally be getting close to being coordinated with those around me. so today, i will probably try to get the lifting in during the day in case my evening ends up horizontal again. and hopefully a run in the giant yet mild snowstorm that is currently dropping flakes on us (i'm thinking moccassins because all that wet snow will just suck the heat out like none other...).
Ha, and I thought I had it bad in my cramped space in our attached garage. I can't workout too early because there's a bedroom right above. It also kinda sucks on really cold days because it's only heated by the surrounding house, with no direct heat and a garage door that doesn't get the best seal. When the high temp outside is below 20s, I never really get that warm while working out. Still, I love how efficient my set-up is now; the workouts really flow nicely.

Ahh yeah its healed just fine, I am not sure what it was I think possibly it might have been the sick bug going around?

I like the inverted rows a little better than db rows. I can isolate the lats a little more with them.

Was able to get an easy five of 140 up the other day. Overall feeling pretty good about the lifting. Wish I could get my running up to snuff, I have a 65k Saturday I'm gonna fail at...

Ahh yeah its healed just fine, I am not sure what it was I think possibly it might have been the sick bug going around?

I like the inverted rows a little better than db rows. I can isolate the lats a little more with them.

Was able to get an easy five of 140 up the other day. Overall feeling pretty good about the lifting. Wish I could get my running up to snuff, I have a 65k Saturday I'm gonna fail at...
I'm just about healed up now too, and feeling good to be exerting myself again, and experience the next day DOMS too. Would be 100% if it weren't for this stubbed toe, but I should be able to run again soon. In another month or two I should have my squats and deadlifts back up to speed as well. A workout just doesn't feel complete without them. The light deadlifts feel ridiculously easy, but I'm trying to be patient. Maybe I can already safely switch to a 5:4, DL:Squat ratio though. The 1:1 ratio may have already served its purpose. I'm doing pretty deep squats, so it will take a while to build the loads back up, but I like the idea of taking this period of rehab to really hone the technique. As I think BA noted, the Squat is just as much a range-of-motion exercise as it is a strength exercise, so mis' well maximize the ROM and not get too caught up in load numbers.

My bench press technique is also coming along. Almost no soreness now in the left shoulder after lifting.

I'm still trying to figure out the right combo of rows--Cable, Dumbbell, Inverted, and Barbell. I don't think I'll try any barbell rows until my t-grip bar comes, if it ever does. The other three rows I like equally well, so I suppose I could just spread them out over the three weekly workouts, maybe make the inverted row my row on intensity day, since that's the day I measure progress on, and the inverted row is the most objective row I think, in terms of being able to maintain strict form. So maybe 1-arm bentover dumbbell rows on Monday, Volume Day, and cable rows on Wednesday, Density Day? That might work. I could also do (assisted) pullups on Intensity day instead of pulldowns.

My dad says he doesn't use the Concept II rowing machine I gave him anymore, so I'll start using it for my warm-up. It's a really good fullbody warm-up. Just need to find some space for it.

Good luck on the race! Don't know how you do those things so casually.

What's your thinking on the 400lb/180kg deadlift these days? Are you just going to take it as it comes, or have your penciled in a new goal date? With this recent mishap, I'm aiming for the end of this year, so you have plenty of time to beat me.

These deadlifts strains have got me thinking gradual again. It was fun pushing things a bit last year though. It was good to find out the potential is there, just have to build in a little more restraint. Not only for the deadlift, but I realized I could get a lot stronger on the squat and bench press too. I've never lifted consistently for more than 2-3 years, so I've never had a real longterm perspective, but now I see this as multiyear project. And this last week it's been so satisfying just to be lifting again, I think the patience is become more instinctual, like it was before.

And intellectually, having all the cycle gains charted out for the year helps too. When you can see where you'll be over time if you just add 10 or 5 pounds each cycle, it's a lot easier to let go of the 'now.' As Rippetoe says, "exercising" is about your workout today, "training" is about meeting a future goal, with each workout serving a purpose in getting you there. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-rippetoe/exercising-training_b_4597039.html

I'm definitely sore after Monday's volume day. Doing four sets of Squats and OH Press at five reps taxes you differently than doing two sets with somewhat heavier loads. Now I wonder if intensity day should always be 3x3, volume day always 4x5, and density day always 2x5, and screw the singles?

OK following up on the last post's last paragraph, I've drawn up a chart, with everything based on either my 1RM for the Squat or for the Bench Press. The Deadlift, for example, is tied to the Squat at a 5/4 ratio, while, derivatively, the Power Clean is 50% of my Deadlift, and other lifts, like the Farmer's Walk, Russian Twist, and Back Extensions, are percentages of the Deadlift too, since they use similar muscles or movements. The Presses are all tied to the Barbell Bench Press, as well as Pullovers and bodyweight exercises like Dips, Inverted Rows, and Pullups. It's coincidence that right now my 1RM Bench Press is close to my bodyweight. As I lose weight (fingers crossed) and gain strength, these exercises will have to be done weighted, or for higher reps.

The logic behind tying everything to either Squats or Bench Press is that, in the case of the Squats, it provides a good limiting factor for the less technical Deadlift. Likewise, by tying in the Deadlift's assistance lifts to its 1RM, I'm ensuring that the Deadlift is well-supported as I go up in weight. That is, I won't raise the Deadlift weight until my Back Extensions, Russian Twist, Farmer's Walk, or Power Clean have gone up as well. I think this is a good way of establishing a good foundation of stabilizers and secondary muscles to support the big lifts. Right now the percentages are kind of arbitrary, but as time goes on I should have a better idea of what they should be. Besides preventing me from overtraining the Deadlift, this system should also help me develop well-balanced strength.

Likewise, by tying most of the upper body lifts to percentages of the Barbell Bench Press, I'm trying to make sure everything is relatively well-balanced. I've been impressed with how greater attention to rows has helped alleviate my shoulder issue. Hopefully by extending the idea of bench press percentages to the upper body assistance lifts I'll continue to keep everything relatively well-balanced.

The rep-counts are also determined by percentages. I'll start off working with the simple percentages of 95%, 90%, 85%, and 80% for 2RM, 3RM, 5RM, and 7RM, respectively. The assistance lifts would still be done on Wednesday, Density Day, since it only took me twenty minutes to get through most of the main lifts at 7RM.

This system lends itself to a somewhat simplified chart and implementation of my version of the Texas Method, which in turn should make the workouts flow even better. All the percentage formulas are hidden in the Excel doc, and then rounded to the nearest integer of five (pounds). The chart includes both my current loads, and the projected loads by the end of the year, if everything goes well. I'm starting off pretty light on the Squats, as I rehab this sacroiliac injury. I've also taken the Bench Press down so that my rows and other upper body stuff can continue to catch up and keep me well-balanced.

Volume Day will be done at 5RM, or 85%. I'll do more sets, probably four, of my weaker lifts, which are ordered at the beginning of the workout--Squat, OH Press, and Pulldown/Pullup. The other lifts I'll just do 2-3 sets.

Density Day will be done at 7RM, or 80%, for two sets, and will include assistance lifts done at 2x5, or maybe 2x7 as well. I may take the percentages for the main lifts down even further to 75% or 70%, to make it more like a recovery day, as Rippetoe recommends.

Intensity Day will be done at 3RM, or 90%, for three sets, but I may also do five sets of doubles from time to time.

Attachments

• ST 2015 Percentages 15.02.05.pdf
    192.8 KB · Views: 4
lee, i think those are good ideas. i'm in favor of most anything that will keep you out of the hospital. your plans seem to be working toward getting everything to move together rather than all herky-jerky (although i'm not sure i've ever seen that word written out; it seems like one of those "spoken only" words).

and apparently, i need to start doing more than pullups. that travel really messed me up and now i've blown off about 4 weeks; so it will be back to the beginning for me, i suppose. in related news, i've been sleeping through the night and having normal days for a couple days. so maybe today!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090