Strength/Endurance Ratio

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
I have an issue. My weightlifting that I started doing 3 months ago has started working "too-well" when it comes to my running speed. This sounds insane, but, I have to now FORCE myself to run slow because it is SO much easier for me -STRENGTH-WISE- to run faster than I can now breath. Of course, it doesn't help that I now apparently live in a tropical rain-forest with a ton of extra humidity and allergens lurking around in the air, and my lungs. My runs have become pain-staking, lately, because the forced slowness requires an immense amount of effort. I don't know if I should be bothered by this, or happy by this -I'm a little of both. The speed of the first half of one of my recent 5 mile runs (first one on pavement since the weightlifting started) was 8 m/m, which for me is insanely fast. I have to force myself to slow down to prevent injury. It's just such a strange dilemma. Has anyone else experienced this, and did you offset your training with something - like forced "sub-X m/m" runs, or anything? Like, for real, I'm thinking of getting a measuring device that beeps when I start going "too" fast -it's hard to gage it by feel- but in reverse!!!

Ha ha ha...yeah...no. Nice thought though :)

Jen- maybe instead of forcing yourself to slow down you do intervals of run/walks instead. That may help balance out your conditioning with your strength. Maybe something like 4x 10 min run with 3 min walk in between. Just a thought to maybe allow your conditioning to catch up. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test