stinky barefoot shoes...

blacksheep40

I have stinky NB minimus trails and I can't take it anymore... I'm not sure if a washing machine would be good for them but I am hoping to see what you guys do to keep your shoes fresh? thanks

I've read that washing them in vinegar gets the funk out. :stinkyfeet:

Well, if you have insoles that can be removed, you can always get new insoles, or just leave them out for a more minimalist feel.

My KSO's get like that. I just wash them out real good and air dry them outside. I don't wear socks in my work boots, and they got sooooo nasty and my feet soooo stinky, that my wife and kids demand that I wash my feet immediately upon entering the house after work! No sense of humor!!

My VFF's I just throw in the regular wash....My Merrells and my STEM's I wash by hand and air dry. I also spray them down with that scent elimination spray designed for deer hunters sometimes.

Moving this to the Gear & Footwear forum with a redirect that will expire in one day.

What I've done with VFFs and Merrells:

Fill a bucket or small sink with hot tap water
Put your shoes in
Put one or two efferdent (denture) tablets in each shoe
Let them sit for an hour (or more)
Take antibacterial soap, like softsoap or something similar and an old toothbrush and scrub the footbed
Rinse
I would throw them in the washer after that but I think you'd still get a good result if you skipped the washer part.

I've tried almost everything with limited success, before I came up with a process that works for me. I hand wash the dirt, grass, etc. off my VFFs with a mild soap and warm water, then I clip them to a coat hanger with a couple of clothespins, toes pointed down, hang them in the shower, and pour a half a cup of listerine into each shoe. I leave them there overnight to drip dry and the "funk" is gone come morning.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ