Stiff ankles

Twisty

Barefooters
Jul 23, 2012
Its been 8 weeks since I done my first barefoot run. I've got myself up to 2miles last week, everything was feeling fine till last week. My last couple of runs my ankles where really stiff, sore and I felt a little pain on top the right foot. Had 5 days off went back out tonight and cut back to 1.5 miles, but I'm still feeling it.

Has anyone else suffered from stiff ankles?
Think I'll take a week off and cut back to a mile.
Should I be looking at my form????
Any info or pointers will be much appreciated.

Sounds pretty much like your bog-standard development during transition.
Does the discomfort ease up after a few minutes walking or is it there all the time?
Taking things easy worked for me.

It sounds like your lower leg muscles might be tight and pulling on the tendons in your ankles and feet. Try massaging your lower leg muscles, front and back, with a stick (see my recent reviews in the gear forum) or try trigger point therapy. Also, stretch out the foot good. This has worked wonderfully for me. Look up the tofp on Jimmy Hart's gobarefooting site for an explanation. Hope this helps.

Sorry Lee would foam rolling be any good?
I think so, but using a stick, either spiky or marathon, might be easier. I also have a Knobble on the way as an aid for triggle point stuff. There's a section in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572243759/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
on lower leg trigger points, but I don't know if it's necessary to buy the whole book just for that. When you hit the right spot you'll know, as you'll feel immediate relief in the areas of 'referred' pain or ache. With my own tofp, resting never helped that much. It would always come back.

4"x24" pipe from a big box store works much better and is cheaper than foam. my ankle locks so i roll it and it pops constantly. it gets a little stiff but surprisingly has more range of motion than the other that doesn't pop or lock up. i do one legged dips and heel raises to help strengthen my ankles.

I used The Stick for months. It worked ok, though not for deep tissue points for me. When first starting out, I used the FootWheel to work on the plantar soreness. I still use the TriggerWheel occasionally when I don't want to fire up the massager.

The RumbleRoller is nice enough and can hit deep tissue, but is a bit unwieldly for me, as I usually work on the sore spots while watching tv in bed.

The massager is nice because it's heated. It's self-powered. It gets into deep tissue. I can use it while watching tv in bed with little effort. Win-win.

I used The Stick for months. It worked ok, though not for deep tissue points for me. When first starting out, I used the FootWheel to work on the plantar soreness. I still use the TriggerWheel occasionally when I don't want to fire up the massager.

The RumbleRoller is nice enough and can hit deep tissue, but is a bit unwieldly for me, as I usually work on the sore spots while watching tv in bed.

The massager is nice because it's heated. It's self-powered. It gets into deep tissue. I can use it while watching tv in bed with little effort. Win-win.
Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience Sid. This massaging stuff has been a lifesaver for me. After a little more two weeks of using the stick and stretching out my feet, my tofp is pretty much gone. I ordered the TriggerWheel this morning, and may fork over for the RumbleRoller and heated massager too. Yesterday I was able to run close to 8 miles with no tofp issues, so it's worth it.

Reactions: Sid
Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like its gonna be trial and error to see what works for me!

Flammee, I really only go about in my bare feet. Wear my inov8's when I need to and unfortunately I also wear big clumpy work boots on the building sites for work. Don't know if health & safety would be to impressed with me cutting around the sites with no heels?????? (that sounds like I wear the wife's heels to work!)

Migangelo, 2" pipe that's pleasing on the wallet!

Lee & Sid, Sticks and massagers is what I need to look at!

ya, meant to say 4"x24". i just edited it but looks like i was late. again.

As Chris said, and it seems you believe, bog standard developmental soreness. (I can use the term "bog standard" legally because my wife's a Brit.) I went for months doing ankle check / foot loosening movement for 5 minutes before getting out of bed. I figured it was just getting used to BFR and being 50 something. It never got acute for me but kept me very conscious of the changes going on. Keep running and developing the new "hardware."

Reactions: Bare Lee
Looks like its gonna be trial and error to see what works for me!

it always is ... and in a couple years, you'll be the one answering newbies' questions for them, telling them "what worked for me was ..."

And, it's all good advice up there (especially the part about this being completely normal - when you start going BF, your lower legs suddenly get activated and have to do a LOT of the work, instead of being pampered in the orthopedic boots that most people run in).

You can add ankle flexibility exercises to your routine as well. Just before, in the middle of, and right after your runs, and any time in between. Easy-peasy: Just stand there, move one foot somewhat toward the front, raise and lower the heel (keeping the big toe on the ground) a few times. Then, instead of a linear up-and-down movement, turn it into a circling motion - When the heel is being lowered, aim it toward the outside and when you lift, to the inside. Keep knee/hip nice and loose, too. Start slowly, but play around with the speed, try it really fast. And reverse the direction sometimes, too.

And massage your feet/ankles every chance you get ...

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thanks Willie_g.
Will try that out, I've been looking at ankle exercises. When I was going to the physio when I was running shod, she did say I didnt have alot of motion in the ankles.
I hope I can answer "newbies questions" when I get to know my body better. Read lots on here just don't feel I can input on things just yet.