State Parks

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Bidimus, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    So I run state and community parks a lot. Often on paved pathways. Some are more barefoot friendly than others. Some times I'll run from park to park for an urban tour.

Is anyone interested in a group run that's outside the Portland area? I'm thinking Champoeg (BF paved trail), Silver Falls (NBF for running), or Stub Stewart (NBF) for starters. For the NBF parks I recommend thick sandals or equivalent to prevent injury.

I'm always out there running somewhere so if anyone is interested I'll try to schedule something in advance.
  2. NickW Guest

Maybe Champoeg as I'm out in Canby now. Depending time of day I could be able to meet up.
  3. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    Awesome. Champoeg is a special case as it's practically in my back yard. I can do that one most afternoons in addition to the weekends too. Any particular day better than any other for you?

Oh ya. On the subject of the state parks, I highly recommend getting the year long day pass if you want to make a regular thing of it like I do. $30 for the year good at all Oregon state parks. All three I listed above do have day pass fees. The trade off is the state parks in Oregon are really nicely kept up imo.
  4. NickW Guest

I have some sort of park pass I get, but it only works at certain parks. I'll have to figure out where it works exactly. Monday, wednesday, fridays, and Saturdays are my best days for now, but that may be changing soon. What time in afternoons work best for you?
  5. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    Weekdays I can typically make it to the park by 5:30pm if I rush, 6pm is easier. The only weekday I don't normally run is Monday but that's flexible. Weekends are much more open unless something is scheduled that weekend so say any time after 9am on Saturday. Want to shoot for Wednesday or try to set something up for Saturday?
  6. jldeleon Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Nick, you're not new! Get out of here! ;)

7. NickW Guest

Um, Jen, this particular post says group runs.... The other post was the newb one....
  8. NickW Guest

Saturday might be best, I've gotta check with the wife for schedule for this weekend.
  9. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    Lol he's right Jen. This is for all skill levels. I'll run as little or as much as anyone who wants to go. The other thread is geared more at new people or those who just want some advice/help. This one is more about group runs, good company, and our beautiful state parks.
  10. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    K, so we'll shoot for Saturday. Once you can find a time I'll work with Jen to get it on the calender and Facebook to see if anyone else want's to join.
    paulbeales and jldeleon like this.
  11. NickW Guest

Sounds good man. Hopefully we can get together for a run this weekend. Have you ever come running out this way? Canby I mean? There's a great little park that has some nice wide trails, single track, mud, and also paved trails. Lot's of fun. I really like living so close to it.
  12. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    I haven't. Are you referring to Molalla River State Park? I've noticed it on the maps but haven't been there yet. I've run Memorial Park across the river in Wilsonville a few times which is a wonderful park.

I'm a little weird among barefoot runners in that while I love puddles and mud, I'm prone to slipping and thus running in mud scares me a little. Anything that can result in an interruption to my ability to run is taboo so you won't find me on Wild Wood on or after a rainy day for example. That said, if it's not slippery out there I'd love to come check it out. :)

What sort of distance were you thinking of or if you weren't, are you capable of? And were you interested in barefoot or minimalist? I ask because there is a section of trail there that's paved but I consider it too uncomfortable for barefoot running but the rest of the trail is BF pavement. There is also a gravel road at the east end of the trail that takes you to a small town with a market which I'm told has ice cream. I've always wanted to continue down the road and check it out. The road is not barefoot friendly though and I'd recommend sandals or similar for that.
  13. NickW Guest

It's Eco Park, which is off the old Molalla Logging Road/Trail. It's mostly fairly easy running but I like running it better than on pavement. I can even push the stroller on it if I stick to the wide parts of the trail and just zig zag between the wide trails.

I'm not really sure what distances I am capable of right now, I seem to be really improving in my running ability lately. 2 weeks ago I ran my first nearly 31 mile week and last week due to a race I took it easy and did 23-24 miles for the week. I have run up to 10.55 miles at once and I am pretty confident if I bring right fueling I can run much more than that. I am thinking that next year I may also try my hand at my first 50k, which may be in Champoeg park. I guess they do 5 each 10k loops. I hear it's really flat and should be fairly easy (for a 50k that is), and if I find out I am not as ready as I had thought it would be fairly simple to bail.

I really don't consider myself a barefooter anymore even though I do still occasionally run barefoot. I mostly run in my Luna Mono's and I am currently on the hunt for a hybrid type shoe that is decent for road as well as trail since I found the trails here in Canby. The hard part is finding shoes that are acceptable for my wide feet yet retain some minimalist features that I prefer. I'm contemplating maybe even some road shoes since I am ok with running trails in my monos which have pretty much zero traction.
  14. jldeleon Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon
    2. Presidents

Message Count:

I plan to do this one for my first ultra, next year. You should check it out! It's beautiful and flat. :) http://defiance50k.com/

15. jldeleon Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    OK, boys, if you want me to post this, I need an actual time and a link to a map/address by the end of tomorrow. Please (or else). :)

16. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    Wow that one looks like fun Jen. I just might be there with you. :)

Nick, it sounds like distance won't be an issue at all. The trail is about 6 miles round trip so perhaps we'll pick up some ice cream while we're out. lol I have plans to do an ultra but I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm also running in my Luna OSO's more often these days. It give me the freedom to run places that were questionable before. I still run barefoot when I can and I'm quite passionate about it but I'm also practical. These days it depends partially on distance and how well I know the trail. I do love my Luna's though.

Pick a time for Saturday and we'll get that posted. I'm free this Saturday so whatever works for you.

Let's see if this link works for a starting location. The park has two day use areas.

https://goo.gl/maps/GxEHE
    NickW and jldeleon like this.
  17. NickW Guest

I forgot my son has soccer Saturday morning. I should be free around 11:30 or so if that's alright. I want to double check that though.
  18. jldeleon Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    :chicken: Right Jim? ;)

19. Bidimus Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

Message Count:
    11:30 works great. We can go latter if you need too. :)
  20. jldeleon Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I'm waiting for the "double-check".