Southport, CT 5 Mile Turkey Trot

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
The Southport, CT Turkey Trot has been a family tradition for many years now. My sister, Heather and I were trying to figure out the numbers, and we think this was our 22nd year running this race. It’s just a nice, fun relaxing run on Thanksgiving morning. I wanted to run with my sister, but she insisted that we just run our own races. Heather was the first runner in the family, she is the one who actually got me into running, she would drag me along for a run during vacations, or when we younger around the neighborhood. And she is the one who introduced me to this Turkey Trot as well. I couldn’t tell you the number of times I have run this race extremely hung over, or still drunk from the debauchery the night before the race, Thanksgiving eve is always a big night to go out. Those were the days, but don’t miss them at all. You can always smell a tinge of alcohol in the air from fellow runners during the race, believe me I wasn’t the only one.​
Thanksgiving morning it was a cold one 28 degrees and dry ground. This race was also my first barefoot race I ran 5 years ago since transitioning to barefoot running, so far I have run it barefoot every year and wanted to keep the tradition going. The plan was to wear my Soft Star Run-a-mocs and slip them off right at the start and just carry them. The plan worked perfectly. Results: 41:20 with a pace of 8:16​
My Sister and I​

Good memories.