songs for cadence

In his race report, St. John the Gambler wrote:

I'm practicing my fast barefoot pace, getting right cadence, lifting the feet to the tempo of the song “Turning Japanese” (thanks Jason for that tip, though please can we think of a better song?)

Argghh! now that's in my head for the rest of the day.

BTW, you can measure the cadence of any song with this handy tap-calculator: http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

Here are three that are around 180bpm:

"Lose yourself" by eminem (slightly slower).

"I'm like a bird" by Nelly Furtado (almost exactly 180 but the beat is hidden, you need to listen carefully to find it)

"Get along" by Mike Doughty (slightly faster).

Actually, Jason got that idea

Actually, Jason got that idea from one of the ladies at "that other forum" a long time ago. It was either PeaceKaren or KittyK. I think it was Karen, and he thanked her for letting him use her idea. And yes, we already complained to her about it, but the damage had already been done. ;-)

I created and used a 180bpm

I created and used a 180bpm click track tempo and put it every other "song" on my play list when I first started out. I tended to be a little faster than that when it came down to it, but the iPod didn't last long anyway. Some where in my first 3 weeks I ditched the music and no longer care for it. I love the silence of my own thoughts and pace while BF running.

BUT, it did really help me in the begining and if anyone is interested in a 1 minute long 180bpm click track mp3 that you can play on your digital music device while running, send me an email and I'll send it along. [email protected] It's easy to use and you can drag it in as many places as you want on your playlist so it can keep coming on to keep you on track every song, 2 songs, or wherever you choose!

Rock

I don't like listening to

I don't like listening to music when I run. Recently I started listening to a 180bpm metronome track. It doesn't distract me from surrounding sounds but I can use it to adjust my cadence when I need to.

It's probably similar to what Bruno created. I downloaded mine from http://nuspieds.net/blog/public/2010/metronome-180bmp.mp3 but you can find others by googling "metronome 180 bpm".

sloutre, i'm not talking

sloutre, i'm not talking about listening to music. Just finding a song to have in your head to help confirm your cadence. That's why it's got to be catchy and instantly singable in your mind. Just not "Turning Japanese". :<

My ears, my ears!  My mind,

My ears, my ears! My mind, my mind!

That is a great metronome

That is a great metronome link!

I'm delighted to find that Dancing Queen (when you count by half beats) is just over 200 bpm! Yeah!!! I knew there was a reason I loved that song so much! ...other than the fact that it reminds me of everyone dancing at my wedding...lol.

:D

Singing songs in my head

Singing songs in my head doesn't always work very well for me because I can slow them down, haha. I really need to work on my tempo, because I tend to get lazy and drag down to 160-170.

I love listening to music

I love listening to music while I run. It inspires me. Tried that link where you tap to get the BPM, but I couldn't get it to work. Damn! Seems like a cool idea though.

Hmmmmm. Did some

Hmmmmm. Did some experimenting today to see what my favorite songs were that helped me keep the cadence I've been running and my favorite song for running was about 175BPM. Rihanna's Lemme Get That. Should I be having a quicker turnover and faster cadence?

Personally I think 180 is the

Personally I think 180 is the minimum and music in that range isn't exactly common so I'd look at half tempo stuff, say in the 90-100 range.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090