Sockwa X8

Smogz

Barefooters
Feb 4, 2013
I preordered the new Sockwa X8 today, in black. Hopefully the look good enough to wear to work.

Pretty minimal anyway with only 1,2 mm sole and very breathable upper.

uploadfromtaptalk1371073770610.jpg

Vill give a short review after I have worn them for a time.

My Sockwa X8s arrived and I can you tell you all, THEY ROCK!
Just superb. I got black ones and wore them to work. No one noticed (no one I didn't point them out to :) ). Ground feel is awesome, as usual. An example being, walking to the tea machine in work. There are air vent grates on the floor, I could feel every ridge on the grate! I normally avoid walking on them (in an OCD, might fall through it kinda way) but have taken to walking on every one of them because I can feel the ridges. Lol.
The new breathable upper is superb! I have a pair of G3s, which I love, but they do get very clammy inside, very quickly. This new upper solves that problem.
The cuff at the top of shoe is much better than the G3s. Slightly tighter but still comfortable.
If you're thinking about getting a pair, go right ahead and buy them, they're great.
I use to think you couldn't get any better than VFF EL-Xs but these have taken the new top spot.
Buy em! :)

Even socks are restrictive and have shape. It usually just doesn't work so that upper stretches to allow toes to splay. If socks are narrow or wrong shape, they cause problems, just like shoes. For example, seal skinz -socks were just like that, too narrow and tight. And I tried running with normal socks once, it was just worse than most minimalist shoes.

I have the G3 model and after a little time to get use to the feel I really started to like them. A great backup for the winter runs. As previously mentioned, they do not breathe well so I have not used them at all this summer. I look forward to trying this new model, but I will have to wait for a promotion or sale, the price is a little steep.

Even socks are restrictive and have shape. It usually just doesn't work so that upper stretches to allow toes to splay. If socks are narrow or wrong shape, they cause problems, just like shoes. For example, seal skinz -socks were just like that, too narrow and tight. And I tried running with normal socks once, it was just worse than most minimalist shoes.
I have pretty wide feet but have had no issues with these. You can't flex the toes out wide without touching the sides but what minimalist shoes can you do that in. Even in my super wide toe boxed Vivos I can't do that. The material used is super light and stretchy so even when I do deliberately stretch my toes wide the material gives. No issue when when walking, no restriction I notice at all, and I'm fairly sensitive to being couped up.
The amazing ground feel more than makes up for any potential short comings, of which I can't think of any. For times when you just can't go barefoot (like work, for me) these are superb. These, for me, are the perfect minimalist shoe.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I have the G3 model and after a little time to get use to the feel I really started to like them. A great backup for the winter runs. As previously mentioned, they do not breathe well so I have not used them at all this summer. I look forward to trying this new model, but I will have to wait for a promotion or sale, the price is a little steep.
Well worth it Rick. I have G3s too. I know what you mean about them not breathing well but the X8 has taken the G3 and perfected it. Made it breathable and with a better cuff round the ankle.
I recommend them.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
I am excited to read this cuz I have been thinking about trying these for awhile!

My soon-to-be fall running trail is a mix of gravel and super choppy asphalt with a little teensy bit of dirt here and there. The soles of my Moc3s (2mm of...leather???) are a bit too thin for that much gravel. But, if the bottoms of these Sockwas are made out of actual plastic, that should provide better protection!

I am used to the warm, wet feel of my Moc3s -which really don't have much air ventilation, either. So any additional breathability is a step above those!

Reactions: Darkand
I am excited to read this cuz I have been thinking about trying these for awhile!

My soon-to-be fall running trail is a mix of gravel and super choppy asphalt with a little teensy bit of dirt here and there. The soles of my Moc3s (2mm of...leather???) are a bit too thin for that much gravel. But, if the bottoms of these Sockwas are made out of actual plastic, that should provide better protection!

I am used to the warm, wet feel of my Moc3s -which really don't have much air ventilation, either. So any additional breathability is a step above those!
They're great, you'll love em. It's one 1mm of really flexible plastic. There's very little protection from them, I've bruised my soles a few times on the trails. They really are very close to being barefoot. Just be aware of the lack of protection if your planning to trail run in them.