"So, why barefoot" and related questions....what's your answer?

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I've been getting this a lot lately, and feel like a broken record explaining myself :p So, what's your response?

Here are mine

1. why not?

2. it's humbling, empowering and liberating all at once

3. some rely on watches, gps and other fancy gadgets...I rely on my soles

4. I like that I don't have to rely on the cushioning of a shoe to get me to where I want to go

5. I've been able to connect to my run on a level that which I was never able to reach when running in shoes, I've always strived to run strong and run wise and this way of running seemed to "fit the bill"

6. It's a gentler more natural approach to running in a way that reduces the risk of injury and increases the enjoyment of the experience. Who doesn't want to feel like their 5 and running barefoot through a field of dandelions? (which I did the other day on my long run...I was about to start a count of the dandelions I'd collected between my big and second toe)...tearin 'em down...one dandelion at a time with my own barefeet.

7. I no longer feel aches and pains in my knees and hip after a long run, which I used to experience after a long run no matter what shoe I was wearing.

8. You learn a lot about yourself when you put yourself out there, vulnerable to the surfaces of the Earth..although you are focusing more on what is in front of you, you become more intune and connected to the Earth/your surroundings.

Reactions: KTR
right on Mokie! That it is. I

right on Mokie! That it is. I dread the fall/winter when I HAVE to put shoes of some sort on in order to run. Sigh, cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose.

Don't forget about a plain

Don't forget about a plain old pair of socks. As long as it's not wet outside, you can run in them down to the 20s.

I'll have to give the socks a

I'll have to give the socks a try TJ, though I run down to single digits...thinking socks might not make the cut.

It's the cheapest sport there

It's the cheapest sport there is and it is sexy! Well according to my wife.

I usually say they are the best teachers you could have. Speaking of which Ken Bob likes to call them his two running coaches.

Ken Bob always says the best

Ken Bob always says the best stuff.

This is always a

This is always a difficult question for me. I wish I had some magical mystical reason why I wanted to run barefoot but don't have one. I am almost envy the people that run barefoot because they were getting injured with shoes. I ran shod for 20 years with no injuries.

So my answer is because it seemed cool to do, that's it. Just something different to try, another dimension of running.

I remember seeing my first barefoot runner back when I did my first 5k, I was 9 years old, so that was 1979! wow... That image always was with me and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Strange it took me 30 years to finally give a go.

This is always a

This is always a difficult question for me. I wish I had some magical mystical reason why I wanted to run barefoot but don't have one. I almost envy the people that run barefoot because they were getting injured with shoes, they have a great excuse. I ran shod for 20+ years with no injuries.

So my answer is because it seemed cool to do, that's it. Just something different to try, another dimension of running.

I remember seeing my first barefoot runner back when I ran my first 5k, I was 9 years old, so that was 1979! wow... That image always was with me and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Strange it took me 30 years to finally give a go.

Silly, was thinking that the

Silly, was thinking that the other day feeling grateful that I don't have to buy a new pair of running shoes any time too soon (well, when winter comes) AND the amount (or lack there of) baggage needed to run. I can pretty much just get out and run wherever whenever (theoretically) and not have to limit myself because I don't have shoes

Don't you just love walking

Don't you just love walking right out the door, not having to put on socks, shoes, and lace up?

Don't you feel a little naked, in a non-shameful way?

Don't you feel you're getting away with something, and you're just waiting to get caught?

Reactions: Tyler J L
TJ, your so right. To me it

TJ, your so right. To me it feels like I'm a kid again and my mom is yelling at me to put my shoes on, or stay out of that mud puddle...your feet will get all dirty. LOL

Maybe I'm also a bit of a closet exhibitionist. Now that I race barefoot, people always want to see the bottoms of my feet before and after the race.

We do get over the guilt,

We do get over the guilt, don't we?

well, I just got back from a

well, I just got back from a trip to the bank, the video store and the beverage center, in that oder, and I just left my flip flops home, heck with it. Where I live, people will do a double take but then quickly look away and wait until you're weeeeelllll out of earshot to say anything.

If someone does ask, I'll say, "ich vertrag keine Schuhe", meaning essentially that I just cant wear shoes. Leave it up to them to interpret what that could mean. It's kind of a standard answer for things here. Don't wanna eat your MIL's mushy green beans? Say, "Ich vertrag keine Bohnen", works like a charm.

Specifically for running, I have had people call out, "Barefoot???" as I passed them by. I just smiled and said, "Yup" and kept on trucking...

Haven't been MF/BF to a race yet but I'll likely do a local 10k end of June in my Huaraches, or maybe even BF if I'm up to it. Then, I don't know, I'll probably just give the "yup" answer again and try to run in a way that'll shut up the critics, and maybe win a few converts :)

You crack me up, Willie! 

You crack me up, Willie! :lol:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test