Sneaking out of the hotel

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Bootstrap, May 5, 2014.

1. Bootstrap Barefooters

Message Count:
    I'm speaking at a conference in Vegas, staying at the Mirage.

I would rather not be seen sneaking out of the hotel barefoot, since I'm trying to make a professional impression. If I have a car, I can just leave my shoes in the car, but I don't have a car on this trip.

Does anyone have bright ideas for hiding my shoes while I go on a run, if I prefer not to carry them with me? Or a more comfortable, less silly looking way to carry the shoes while I run?
    Sid likes this.
  2. Sid Barefooters

Message Count:
    I use a waist/fanny pack to carry shoes, when I need to do so.
  3. migangelo Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California -...

Message Count:
    you speaking to podiatrists or something? be bare and proud. it shows crazy and intelligence at the same time.

4. Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    I'm with Mike - it would make a great conversation starter if you're chatting to people during the breaks.

"Hey, aren't you that guy...."
    skedaddle likes this.
  5. skedaddle Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Message Count:
    What's not professional about being pro active about your health?
    Just look around at all the overweight, smoking, unhealthy so called professionals at your conference and then realize who it is your trying to hide from.
    If you fear your job is at risk then that's another matter.
    In my experience, if you are open and transparent with people they will be open to you.
    There will always be exceptions but i think people are generally more receptive of new ideas than you think.

6. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
    Cheap flip flops from wal mart then stash them somewhere unseen. If you lose them no big deal.
    RockyMtn and happysongbird like this.
  7. Bill B Barefooters

Message Count:
    When I need to, my VFF EL-X's tuck nicely in the waistband of my shorts in the small of my back.

happysongbird likes this.
  8. El Yuca Descalzo Barefooters
    1. México

Message Count:

I agree, but also understand your point Bootstrap, some social circles are not ready to understand the barefoot movement, may be you can use some flip flops as Abide says.
    RockyMtn likes this.
  9. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Steve Jobs openly walked around Reed College barefoot.

steve-jobs-bill-gates-together-1991.jpg SteveJobsQuote.jpg

10. Sid Barefooters

Message Count:
    Perhaps, hide in plain sight? Wear a BRS shirt. Surely, no one will make the connection that the barefoot runner and esteemed speaker are one and the same!
  11. JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania
    2. New Jersey

Message Count:
    Hey, that's Vegas you're in, not Yonkers! It takes more than Bare Feet to register even a blip on their crazy meter.

12. Sid Barefooters

Message Count:
    What if you use the exit though the self park garage, instead of the lobby? http://goo.gl/maps/T7S4d
    Satellite view indicates a entrance for the events center, but it seems you want to avoid that?
    Barefoot TJ likes this.
  13. Sid Barefooters

Message Count:
    I've found that people generally leave you alone, if you look like you know what you are doing. A BRS shirt would clearly indicate that you're a professional barefoot runner and not merely a shoeless person.

Alternatively, a fancy $60 pro level tech shirt, nice running shorts, a Sweat Gutr headband or fancy tech running hat, GPS watch, armband for your phone, expensive shades, arm and/or leg sleeves and/or KT tape, will also provide a professional appearance, and would also suggest that yes, you can clearly afford shoes, but are privy to some secret that being barefoot is better.

If you have the right attitude and you own it, you can strut straight through the front entrance!
  14. migangelo Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California -...

Message Count:
    i walk around school bf. i get comments now when i wear sandals. everyone knows my name. i even go shopping bf. no reason to hide.

Barefoot TJ and skedaddle like this.
  15. RockyMtn Barefooters
    1. Colorado

Message Count:
    I agree with getting cheap flip flops and stashing them.

If you are going to run on the strip, set aside about 15 extra minutes to clean your feet when you are done.
  16. OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Missouri
    2. Illinois

Message Count:
    I go with looking like you know what you're doing.

Nice tech shirt, compression shorts, heart monitor watch (which I glance at frequently - so people understand I'm serious about this stuff). Dressed right, I get asked honestly and in good humor, "Why?".

In swim trunks and a t-shirt, I get curious looks, and crooked necks.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  17. Robbi Barefooters
    1. South Africa

Message Count:
    VFFs in my pockets are not uncomfortable. I have Bikilas, though, so they're pretty flexible and light.
  18. Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Actually, I just thought about this and realised that I'm a little bit disturbed by this. Not a dig at anybody who said it, because it probably is good advice, but does a tech shirt and compression shorts etc really legitimise you as a runner, and why do people think it does? I would challenge that by just running in whatever I normally run in (Which for the OP might be just that).

*I'll admit that I'm a little anti-establishment here, and I'm something of a running hipster in that I refuse to wear anything other than any old pair of shorts and a non-technical t-shirt in silent protest against the idea that runners should spend a heap of money on stuff they don't need to be able to run.
    Bare Lee, bfsailor, Sid and 3 others like this.
  19. OneBiteAtATime Moderator
    1. Missouri
    2. Illinois

Message Count:
    Finally! I've been a part of this forum for 9 months. Its been nothing but pats on the back and encouragement. Finally someone wants to tangle. (I wish there was a tounge-in-cheek smiley.)

Sorry to have "disturbed" you. There are clearly different reasons to run barefoot. I don't necessarily BF to be subversive or anti-establishment, I run bf to run better. I wear compression shorts because they feel good and keep things from getting too bouncy. I wear tech shirts (more in the cold) to stay more comfortable. All that said, look at my profile pic. Just after a run in a free cotton t-shirt I got for giving blood.

Not ALL technology is bad for a runner.

20. Sid Barefooters

Message Count:
    I like tech gear because I take care of it and it lasts longer for me. For example, I bought some Patagonia Capilene boxers in 1998, and they lasted until 2010! (The fabric was still good, but the elastic was too stretched out after I lost a lot of weight). I could care less about what other people wear.
    Bare Lee and NickW like this.