Sneaking out of the hotel

Bootstrap

Barefooters
Nov 30, 2012
I'm speaking at a conference in Vegas, staying at the Mirage.

I would rather not be seen sneaking out of the hotel barefoot, since I'm trying to make a professional impression. If I have a car, I can just leave my shoes in the car, but I don't have a car on this trip.

Does anyone have bright ideas for hiding my shoes while I go on a run, if I prefer not to carry them with me? Or a more comfortable, less silly looking way to carry the shoes while I run?

Reactions: Sid
What's not professional about being pro active about your health?
Just look around at all the overweight, smoking, unhealthy so called professionals at your conference and then realize who it is your trying to hide from.
If you fear your job is at risk then that's another matter.
In my experience, if you are open and transparent with people they will be open to you.
There will always be exceptions but i think people are generally more receptive of new ideas than you think.

Steve Jobs openly walked around Reed College barefoot.

steve-jobs-bill-gates-together-1991.jpgSteveJobsQuote.jpg

I would rather not be seen sneaking out of the hotel barefoot, since I'm trying to make a professional impression.
I've found that people generally leave you alone, if you look like you know what you are doing. A BRS shirt would clearly indicate that you're a professional barefoot runner and not merely a shoeless person.

Alternatively, a fancy $60 pro level tech shirt, nice running shorts, a Sweat Gutr headband or fancy tech running hat, GPS watch, armband for your phone, expensive shades, arm and/or leg sleeves and/or KT tape, will also provide a professional appearance, and would also suggest that yes, you can clearly afford shoes, but are privy to some secret that being barefoot is better.

If you have the right attitude and you own it, you can strut straight through the front entrance!

i walk around school bf. i get comments now when i wear sandals. everyone knows my name. i even go shopping bf. no reason to hide.

I go with looking like you know what you're doing.

Nice tech shirt, compression shorts, heart monitor watch (which I glance at frequently - so people understand I'm serious about this stuff). Dressed right, I get asked honestly and in good humor, "Why?".

In swim trunks and a t-shirt, I get curious looks, and crooked necks.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I go with looking like you know what you're doing.

Nice tech shirt, compression shorts, heart monitor watch (which I glance at frequently - so people understand I'm serious about this stuff). Dressed right, I get asked honestly and in good humor, "Why?".

In swim trunks and a t-shirt, I get curious looks, and crooked necks.

Actually, I just thought about this and realised that I'm a little bit disturbed by this. Not a dig at anybody who said it, because it probably is good advice, but does a tech shirt and compression shorts etc really legitimise you as a runner, and why do people think it does? I would challenge that by just running in whatever I normally run in (Which for the OP might be just that).

*I'll admit that I'm a little anti-establishment here, and I'm something of a running hipster in that I refuse to wear anything other than any old pair of shorts and a non-technical t-shirt in silent protest against the idea that runners should spend a heap of money on stuff they don't need to be able to run.

Finally! I've been a part of this forum for 9 months. Its been nothing but pats on the back and encouragement. Finally someone wants to tangle. (I wish there was a tounge-in-cheek smiley.)

Sorry to have "disturbed" you. There are clearly different reasons to run barefoot. I don't necessarily BF to be subversive or anti-establishment, I run bf to run better. I wear compression shorts because they feel good and keep things from getting too bouncy. I wear tech shirts (more in the cold) to stay more comfortable. All that said, look at my profile pic. Just after a run in a free cotton t-shirt I got for giving blood.

Not ALL technology is bad for a runner.

I refuse to wear anything other than any old pair of shorts and a non-technical t-shirt in silent protest against the idea that runners should spend a heap of money on stuff they don't need to be able to run.
I like tech gear because I take care of it and it lasts longer for me. For example, I bought some Patagonia Capilene boxers in 1998, and they lasted until 2010! (The fabric was still good, but the elastic was too stretched out after I lost a lot of weight). I could care less about what other people wear.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW