Skin tears on big toe after improving bunion

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
I haven't seen this described anywhere, so I'm sharing my experience. I've been working on improving the bunion on my left foot. There is now more flexibility, range of motion, and strength in that toe and foot.

Also, it seems that the skin is undergoing changes as well. The callus on the medial edge of the toe has been reduced. While previously, the skin was toughest on the edge of the toe, the skin is now becoming more conditioned on the actual pad of the toe. I see this as a positive step and an indication that the toe is becoming more properly aligned.

However, it seems that there is more is going on with the skin, than just toughening. Somehow, the skin is also being subjected to an expansive force, and the skin is tearing across the toe. As you can see, there is a crescent-shaped tear near the lateral edge of the toe. This actually started as a straight, approximately 8mm, tear on the medial edge. The tear is actually progressing, over the past several months, across the pad of the toe. As the skin heals, it never tears in the same place again.
uploadfromtaptalk1400448123873.jpg
Running speeds up the process, but it happens during walking, too. It's a bit uncomfortable, but I don't see any way around it. I've tried trimming down the excess skin when it tears, and filing it down as well. I try to limit activity until it heals, but this only delays the process. The skin isn't catching on rough surfaces. Rather, it seems to be more related to walking on hard surfaces. It even happened yesterday while I was at a water park with smooth surfaces!

I think that the tear is basically caused by the improvement in the bunion and alignment, which is finally allowing for proper engagement of the big toe. The toe is now able to engage the ground through the pad, rather than the edge of the toe. However, the skin on the pad is not conditioned for this, and is going through a process of adaptation. I'm hoping that this process almost done!

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test