Shoes for when you have to wear shoes

Agnesd

Barefooters
Jan 24, 2012
Lake Stevens, WA
I recently started running in minimalist shoes and was sold on wearing them for everything, but I am still searching for something to wear to work that will last. I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts, sometimes spending the whole time on my feet on concrete floors. I have been wearing my Vivobarefoot Ultras to work and my feet have been doing great, but the sole is already worn out (the heel has lost the little "tread" the shoe has) and also the shoe has holes all over it (not good when you deal with body fluids daily).

Are there any other nurses or medical people out there? Or even anyone that spends that much time standing? Any suggestions for comfortable minimalist shoes that last?

Sketchers Shape-ups of

Sketchers Shape-ups of course. All the cool nurses are weasring them.
steve.png

In your case, and I might get

In your case, and I might get run out of here for even suggesting it, you might need a little cushioning. I recently did two days in a row at Disneyland with the family. I wore huaraches and my feet were killing me.

Not a minimalist shoe, but the Altra Instinct (zero drop and wide toebox at least) and Merrell has a shoe in their Barefoot line that has cushioning. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/26419W/61054/Smoke/J89762?dimensions=0

Rick W.

Rick, I don't know why anyone

Rick, I don't know why anyone would give you flak for suggesting the Altra Instinct. That is a great shoe that is shaped more human like and is zero drop as well. the Merrells on the other hand I'm not to familiar with but in the link you provided the sole does not look like a human foot at all and may be uncomfortable and squish the midfoot region of the foot. Looks like in the midfoot the sole goes in, not just on the higher arch side but on the outside edge as well. Who's feet do that??? Mine just get steadily narrower all the way till you get to the heel.

Anyhow I completely agree with the recommendation for Altra products in general, they are great shoes that are made to fit normal people. I have also heard Stems are good shoes, but I'm not sure how they would do for a nursing job and the limited availibility of colors may be an issue as well.

Thanks for all the input. I'm

Thanks for all the input. I'm not so worried about the padding. I've been wearing the Ultra's w/o in the inserts for about 3 months and have been fine, but they wore out very quickly and that makes me not so interested in getting another pair. =(

I'll check out the ones you mentioned though. Except for the shape-ups. Smarty-pants.
tongue.png
Are those minimalist? Because if there's zero drop in those, my feet aren't shaped like that. I don't know if I could even walk in those things.

I recently picked up a pair of merrell bare access as an "office shoe" and have been pretty happy with them so far. They are 0 drop, but have about 10mm of sole/cushion and are flat across the sole (as opposed to how rounds the soles of say, the trail gloves are).

The cushion is weird (haven't worn cushioned shoes in over a year) but having 0 drop makes it less noticeable.

Smelph I looked at those but they don't have a wide model. I tried them on and they were almost wearable for me but were just a touch too tight width wise. They are more anatomically correct than their other models of minimal shoes.

The Ultras have a much softer sole than other VBF models due to requirements for their one piece molding manufacture. I wear my Ultras causally and the bumpy tread in the forefoot is almost gone after a year, but they are so sweeet otherwise.

I'm an ED nurse practitioner and have been wearing a pair of Black VB Aquas to work for 3 years and the sole looks almost new. I expect if I wore them only at work they would look brand new. Black leather works well in the hospital, cleans easily, and with some black polish and they look like new. The black Lucy would be a good choice.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts