Shoe Advice for my Wife

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
My wife will be running outside this winter and has only run true skin to the ground barefoot so far.
She knows she'll be running in temps colder than her personal minimums so is looking for min shoes.
I recommended Feel Max Pankas, water shoes, or socks since all of her runs will be 5K or less, and even then only a couple of times a week.
Problem is.........she's a woman. So when cruising through Zappos site she gets sucked in by "cute" and as long as a pair is described as zero drop or lite she forgets about all the other factors that allow a shoe to function closer to barefoot-like than is typical.
She knows better............one of our sons purchased Merrell True Gloves when they first came out, and she realizes there is not much at all "barefoot" about them with exception of the name.
He put a total of three miles on them on a dusty trail and they've been in his closet ever since.
If anybody wants them.........U.S. men's 8 1/2 .
So..............
Any suggestions on a shoe that is maybe just a notch above something like a Feel Max Panka but looks like a woman's shoe? I'd hate to have her blow out her knees again all in the name of stylin' for her students.
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Thanks Sid.
The Lucy Lites seem to fit the bill, but I'm guessing she won't like the "look". She's out cycling right now but I've bookmarked the page on Vivo's site for her. I'll read Dr. Mark next.
Oh, we ordered Zems when they first came out......WAY to narrow for both of us, we sent them back.
Edit: The look may not be as unacceptable to her as I thought. On the site I only saw it in plain black, on Dr. Mark's site it is shown in other brighter colors.

Reactions: Sid
I think that the Lucy Lites are widest ones that Vivobarefoot makes. The Aqua Lites are good for my wide feet. The original Evo and Neo were a bit narrow, and the soles were a bit stiff for me. I love the Aqua Lites.

They also make several other models for women in different styles and widths. You can get a fairly good idea of the widths from the photos of the bottom of their shoes. Their website typically only shows this season's models, so Zappos and Amazon and their NY store may have ones not shown on their website (and sometimes at cheaper prices).

Reactions: Longboard
I'll see what Zappos has, their return policy is excellent including free shipping both ways. Also $25 instant credit for signing up for their Visa card.

I bought Pankas four years ago, wore them ONCE outside for a 35 degree wet & windy 5K race.
Then I bought Altras two years ago thinking I would wear them for sub-freezing cycling and walking, they still have zero time on them. The Zems were too narrow so I returned them. If I could just move far enough south this whole thing would be a non-issue for myself as well as my wife.

Merrell's Vapor Gloves are very minimal, and come in bright colors if that's your wife's thing. I ran with them last winter on really cold days, together with some smart wool socks or DryMax cold weather socks, and was happy with them. The traction isn't great, but a bit better than the Aqua Lites, and fit a bit snugger and are cheaper. For snowy days, I like Vivo's Neo Trails. They have less groundfeel than the Aqua Lites or Vapor Gloves because they have good lugs for pretty good traction.

For me, the RunAMoc's that I had "custom" designed serve me for running in the coldest, most wet conditions. My are a medium dark brown, but with a fun pink flower on them. I get all kinds of compliments on them from "normal" folk, who think they look both cute and comfy. If she is interested and doesn't see anything on their website about fun features like the flower, she should just contact them. They are very nice to deal with. My other main pair of winter foot wear is their boot. http://www.softstarshoes.com/running-moccasins/runamoc/original-runamoc-suede-chocolate.html

Reactions: NickW
I ordered the Lucy Lites for her from Amazon via Road Runner. If they're a no- go and sent back for return I'll have her look at the Run A Mocs.
Hard to believe I'm checking out shoes for her after all these barefoot years together, but it's easier than relocating I guess!

I wouldn't consider anything currently available other than the Altra Adams or Eves. If the reason you haven't used yours is because of the reported issue with the location of the front strap anchor, I can assure that this problem is solved by having the shoe one size larger than what the foot is measured as (the proper way to have shoes anyway, for cold weather, in my opinion). I chose my size that way and have been functionally happy with them so far (still haven't really had enough snow, for which to test their drying speed).

I wouldn't consider anything currently available other than the Altra Adams or Eves. If the reason you haven't used yours is because of the reported issue with the location of the front strap anchor....

The reason I've never run in mine is they are the Instinct and are WAY too thick and massive for me. I purchased them thinking I would cycle in them in the winter but never have, I wore them once in Chicago during Thanksgiving when the wind chill was 17 degrees F for walking. Still felt like shoes though. I ordered a pair of Aqua Lites a few days ago and a pair of Lucy Lites for my wife, we'll see how that goes.

$65 for the Aquas including free shipping, I couldn't resist. Did have a hard time finding both of them though, that would explain why.

I have the Merrell Vapor Glove Black and Pink - way more flexy then any of the others I've tried lots of room in the toe box - and they have some fun girl colors!
I haven't actually worn them too much for running but they live in my fanny pack all tucked in and are ready when my feet can't handle an area.
Perhaps winter will bring them out more.
Designed in Michigan!

0mm Drop /2mm Cush / 5.5mm Stack Height

Lucy Lites came yesterday. She hasn't RUN in them yet, but so far......She likes them!

Lucy Lites came yesterday. She hasn't RUN in them yet, but so far......She likes them!
Your wife also liked those Merrells too though, right?

Shoulda gone with the Altra Adams.

It was my son that got fooled by the Merrills. We'll see what happens I guess.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts