Shamrock Run

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
So I ran today in the World of Beer Shamrock Run 5k/10k. Was accompanied by my friends Amber and Beau. Amber and I went for 10k while Beau who is just getting back into running did the 5k. It was her first and only my second ever 10k, though I have also completed a half last year so not like the distance is new to me. And my first 10k was 2 years ago while I was still shod, and I actually made a wrong turn so dont have accurate time (my GPS had me about 50 minutes at the 10k point though I added an extra mile overall).

It seems I have been plagued with problems the last few runs and this one was no exception. Last weekend I got a sore throat and though I only felt bad for a day, I had lingering congestion, sneezing, coughing, and lost my voice for a couple days this past week. I probably should have cancelled but since I got a couple of my friends to run, was the one carpooling, and already offered food and drink after, well I was committed. Oh I'm a bit stubborn too! Well the last few days I felt pretty much fine just had this cough still. As long as I drank hot tea and honey I seemed fine. I drank a lot of hot tea and honey the last couple days! On to the race...

I was really planning on barefoot, temp was suppose to be up to 50, but as the event grew nearer the forecast plummeted. I think it was around 34 when we left for the race. I could do it but I knew my toes would go numb so hoping my luck with my Bikilis from last time would hold up, I decided to run in them again:

IMG_4658-800_zpsd0078d7b.jpg

They did pretty good, but a little over half way I did start getting a little bit of arch cramping that has plagued me this winter (mainly while minishod). By that time I was pretty exhausted and slowing down anyhow, I took it a bit easier for a little bit after feeling the twinges, and tempted fate and tried to alter my form just so slightly to the outsides of my foot. It helped, I never had the cramps get bad like they sometimes do.

And finally, across the finish line with 46:43 for a pace of 7:31 not to bad for being sick, and I think only about 15 seconds slower pace than my last 5k. 13 out of 127 in the 10k was pretty good for me! And my friend Amber made her goal of beating an hour for her first 10k by a few minutes. After the race we got a commemorative beer glass and a free beer, though all they had left when the three of us went in was Yuengling Light, but good enough for recovering a few carbs. ;)

WOB10k_2013_zpsd219b407.jpg
Garmin lined right up with the official times.

Oh, and I was representing with an appropriately colored BRS shirt (well a custom one I threw together atleast):
IMG_4661-800_zps84274ed0.jpg

The place was so packed though that we gave up trying to have a drink or get any food and went on to find a slightly less packed place. A few appetizers, sandwich, and a Great Lakes Alchemy Hour really hit the spot! We all had a blast!

No medal with this race, but thats fine by me. This I can actually use...
cheers.gif

IMG_4668-640_zps95629e0f.jpg

Nice! I love the shirt. What's on the front. And the beer looks yummy too, and I don't even drink beer! Ha! :matey:

And it looks like you were doing something else there, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Nice job on the race Tristan.
Congrats!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test