SCAR TISSUE FROM NEUROMA SURG

frank reda

Barefooters
Nov 11, 2014
Hi. I had neuroma surg on my left foot on july 31st of this year. I am now dealing with a scar tissue issue in the exact spot my neuroma was. I have started phys therapy for it at three times a week which includes massage, cold laser, A-Stim, stretching, and ultra sound. I read that some people were going through this a few years ago on this website so I was wondering how it worked out for them. This is stressing me out and making me regret getting the surgery. Will phys therapy help resolve this? How long will it take? Etc...

Graston or instrument assisted soft tissue is quite effective in a situation like this, but I am wondering if the neuroma was a symptom rather than the problem. I have seen neuromas mostly due to faulty gait patterns, asymmetry, short first toes, flat feet, core problems, restricted fascia in the lateral leg, etc.

One problem I always have with the diagnosis of this condition is the obsession with the site of pain, rather than the functional reason behind it. If you remove a neuroma, and the functional reason still exists, you will likely have the problem relapse. Sometimes a foot orthotics with a mortons toe extension and a metatarsal pad helps those who are asymmetrically built, and they can be used in a minimalist shoe so the shoe if desired in most cases.

I am not sure if that helps but my book, Cheating Mother Nature, what you need to know to beat chronic pain has a section in kinetic chains you may find quite helpful. Most people unfortunately, are uninformed about why things hurt and are hoping the professional they see are looking at their problem the right way. Unfortunately, unless you are knowledgeable, you may not get the result or see the practitioner that looks at you, and not just your symptom, the neuroma. You can get the book through Amazon and other booksellers but you should consider reading it.

I hope that helps

Reactions: Sid
Thank you for responding to Frank, Dr. William.

I have to add... Studies (pretty much all of them) show the number one cause of MN is the types of shoes we wear.

You may be dealing with scar tissue from the surgery or an actual stump neuroma has developed, meaning it has grown back.

Hi Frank - I often see patients post-neuroma surgery who continue to experience pain - or now experience scar tissue pain.

In these patients sometimes the scar tissue is more superficial (from the incision) vs. deeper where the neuroma actually was. And sometimes as TJ mentioned it does grow back.

What I would suggest is:

- steroid injection to break up the scar tissue
- repeat MRI to r/o stump neuroma / scar tissue
- accupuncture

If the neuroma in fact has returned on these patients I then resume the EtOH injections to try and shrink the neuroma again. As well as doing entire connective tissue release work. However if you are doing soft tissue release work to the bottom of the foot be mindful of the area where the neuroma is.

And finally, if you have an underlying bunion or tailor's bunion then the pain may persist as these structures make the foot wider and creates excess pressure on the area when in shoes.

I hope this also helps!