Saucony Kilkenny vs. Terra Plana EVO - Which is the better winter shoe?

Blind Boy

Barefooters
Jun 19, 2010
So I'm sitting here thinking about my options for winter footwear and right now, these are the two most attractive options so far. The problem is, I haven't tried either of them and I'll have to order without trying them on most likely. Here's where I'm at right now:

The Saucony is cheap and if I get the spike version I can alter the amount of traction I need on a given day, from tiny snow studs or nothing at all to full on spikes. The roads around here usually have a layer of packed snow a few inches thick and it can get quite slippery in the right conditions so any extra traction is welcome. I'm uncertain about the fit though.

The EVO seems to me like the better option since I'm more certain that it will fit. I had wide feet before I started BFR but now it's just plain ridiculous. Also, it is more minimal than the Saucony and, to be honest, I want to support them as a company with their ethical shoe design philosophy. The downsides are the price, I can get two pairs of the Sauconys for the same price, and the lack of traction on ice. I figured I could get YakTrax or similar but still, I'd rather not have to deal with that.

So, those of you who have tried either of them and especially those who have tried both, what should I do? How's the width of the Saucony? Does it stretch at all? How bad is it to run in EVOs and YakTrax? Im guessing it gets pretty annoying to step on the same cord over and over again.

I have not owned either, but

I have not owned either, but I just want to add that it is so important to wear a shoe with a wide enough toe box, so that your metatarsals don't end up compressing your nerves and causing you to develope neuromas; the number one cause of Morton's Neuroma. Look at me, case in point. Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

I thought the EVO's were kind

I thought the EVO's were kind of narrow, too - probably not as narrow as the Kilkenny's but the Kilkenny's have a flexible upper and the EVO's are very rigid. I would probably have the flexibility, but that is a personal choice. The is an EVO's "cons" thread on that other forum.

jschwab, is this the one?

jschwab, is this the one? http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/evos-blow I didn't find that much useful info in it if that's the case. I hadn't considered the flexibility of the uppers though, thanks for mentioning that. I guess I was just counting on them being wide enough so that I wouldn't have to worry about that.

I think they might not be

I think they might not be nearly wide enough for you if that is your main concern - I tried the men's because the women's were too narrow and the men's were still too narrow for me. Are you just looking for winter shoes that look like shoes or winter shoes that have traction and warmth? The other thing I remember being concerned about was I was slipping around on the wax floor of the store where I tried them on. That's not always an indicator of how they would be in snow or anything, but I was a little concerned. The uppers are really like the Lunaracer material if you've ever felt those - there is literally no give at all, not like even a normal running shoe where there is some stretch. As an alternative, you might consider Teva Protons or NB 100's if the EVO's don't work out.

So I ordered a pair of EVOs

So I ordered a pair of EVOs and if I'm in luck they'll be here Friday. It'll be interesting to see if/how they fit, I'll comment on it once I've tried them. Also, I found a rebate code that gave me 30% off so the cost wasn't as high as it could've been.

I hope they work for you! If

I hope they work for you! If they don't work for running, they are just cute shoes you could just wear around. I see all the trendy guys wearing them!

BB, here's another good

BB, here's another good resource for minimal shoes. You can always look into a wider racing flat too. I am looking to buy some shoes for winter running too, not looking forward to it. Right now, I have the Adidas Adizero and they're pretty nice, good ground feel, very light weight etc and fit the pancakes on the bottom of my legs :p Keep us posted on how the Evo's do. I am thinking I'll buy some Jingas (Larry raves about them),

Got the evos today and they

Got the evos today and they seem to fit well enough even with the insoles in place. I'm planning on taking a test run later tonight but so far so good.

Ok, first run done. These

Ok, first run done. These might actually work. Sure, I only ran 1.5 miles and they're on the larger side of acceptable but I ordered one size up to be able to put some thick wool socks on when the real winter arrives. All in all they feel decent enough, very far from barefoot with the insoles left in but that's what I expected. It felt really weird not being able to tell how the asphalt changed underneath my feet especially since I ran a part of one of my usual routes.