Running with back pain

Agnesd

Barefooters
Jan 24, 2012
Lake Stevens, WA
I've hurt my back in the past, but never when I was doing any running. Last week I slipped on a step and hurt my back again. It felt like and ice pick in my back with each step walking, and I didn't think I'd be able to run for quite a while. It still hurts with certain movements, but as long as I keep my spine neutral it's quite a bit better.

So today I decided to take a chance and go for a run. I was able to run 3 miles, not very fast, but with hardly any pain. Without the heel strike of walking (no matter how light I made it), running was actually better. I'm just amazed at what form can do for you.

Reactions: jldeleon
I was going to say, a back injury is definitely one way to make you focus on your form, isn't it? Not that I recommend anyone hurt their backs to try it out. ;)

I tend to have chronic back pain, and sometimes running aggravates it and sometimes not. Sometimes it helps to switch directions on my route (which switches the camber), sometimes I need to bend my knees more and straighten up ... it's always trial and error. Foam rolling my back every morning seems to help, though.

I wonder if trail running would be as neutral or therapeutic as flat surface running. I find my form is even better when I really have to work at it on an erratic surface. Just a thought...

I wonder if trail running would be as neutral or therapeutic as flat surface running. I find my form is even better when I really have to work at it on an erratic surface. Just a thought...
I completely agree with that, I only run on pavement for convenience- it's outside my front door. I like trails better because I prefer nature, but also because it's so varied I have to pay more attention to what I'm doing, where I'm stepping, form, terrain, etc. Its a much better workout for my feet, legs, and core I think. Way better than flat surface for me.