Running tights--worth the $?

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
Last winter I was a brand new runner, and just used loose cotton workout pants (sweatpant/yoga pant-types) for my runs. This winter I'm trying to find some better options with more wicking capabilities. I also like stuff that's more form-fitting.

So what do you all think of running tights? I like the idea of the compression they offer, and they're sleek and honestly I think they look cool. 8) But they are pretty pricey. Are they worth it?

I think running tights are a

I think running tights are a must. The problem with loose long pants is that the cold air goes up the legs. It doesn't happen with tights, and as a result they stay warmer. Also, like miker said, they are a long underwear substitute. I run in tights in the 40s, and I put a pair of long winter running pants on over them when temps hit the 20s.

Thanks to both of you! My

Thanks to both of you! My dad's advice is to get tights too.... Looks like a lot of people feel they're worth it.

RoadRunner Sports had some men's tights on their Daily Deal yesterday for a really good price. Time to put some women's ones up now!!

I can't speak on pants as I

I can't speak on pants as I never run in them no matter the temp. I have never been able to feel comfortable in anything other than shorts but I will sport some compression shorts under my running shorts for warmth and if you get some of the better ones out there now you can also help boost muscle performance while you're at it. The running world has come a long way.

I got some cold weather

I got some cold weather tights at Wal-mart for ~$15. I don't think you need to spend lots of money if you're looking for warmth, not performance. I also wear them under long pants.

So, Beth....Here's the

So, Beth....

Here's the deal. Are you wearing underwear, and what's your mileage going to be? Personally, anything over 6 for me, and I risk chafing if I happen to be wearing anything that's not made specifically for running.

I get my running clothes at Sierra Trading Post - they'll have closeouts and you'll be able to pick stuff up on the cheap. I typically get my tights in the late spring and my summer clothes in the fall, but you can occasionally find in-season deals.

And, yeah, since they are tight, they actually make better long-underwear than long underwear. Mine fit under most of my jeans. But since you live in Texas, I don't think you'll need that.

I love my wool tights. I wear

I love my wool tights. I wear them skiing too.

I wonder if wearing "man

I wonder if wearing "man tights" puts one at the precipice of a fashion slippery slope to... well this?
2604807512_587314c8a7.jpg

Oh well... I'm in...

I'm thinking about getting some for skiing. I've got several races on my slate for this winter and I am tired of looking like a schlub.

Thanks Pimp, now I need

Thanks Pimp, now I need this:

ed821465-e69f-4c12-945a-0ea20fa01477.Medium.bmp

SillyC wrote:Are you wearing

SillyC said:
Are you wearing underwear, and what's your mileage going to be? Personally, anything over 6 for me, and I risk chafing if I happen to be wearing anything that's not made specifically for running.

I'd usually probably be wearing them alone--but the type of running tights that are designed to be worn alone, not just as a base layer. I did have a few times last winter where I wore multiple layers on my legs but not often. Mileages will vary a lot, hopefully up to a half marathon at least.

Eye bleach--HA!!!!!

Eye bleach--HA!!!!!

SP, if I get to that, I'm

SP, if I get to that, I'm pretty sure even the dogs would quit running with me! ;) Heck, and to think I was struggling with how I would look in huaraches...

Absolutely worth it!   If you

Absolutely worth it! If you plan on running outside, all winter, which I do you need them. I ran a 20k race in Feb. and it was 4 degrees out, with a slight wind. I just wore my running tights, with running shorts over them, and was comfy. Forget cotton, get the good stuff.

I run all year outside, so one thing I don't do is skimp out and by cheap winter running gear. Get quality gear, it might be pricey, but so worth it.

C. Beth Run. wrote:SillyC

C. Beth Run. said:
SillyC said:
Are you wearing underwear, and what's your mileage going to be? Personally, anything over 6 for me, and I risk chafing if I happen to be wearing anything that's not made specifically for running.

I'd usually probably be wearing them alone--but the type of running tights that are designed to be worn alone, not just as a base layer. I did have a few times last winter where I wore multiple layers on my legs but not often. Mileages will vary a lot, hopefully up to a half marathon at least.

Yes go with one base, layers are terrible to run in. Go to a local running store if you have one near you to get them.

You don't need underwear with winter tights, I don't wear any underwear with mine. But I don't wear underwear at all when I run. On that 20k race in 6 degrees, the plums were starting to feel a chill towards the end.

I don't wear underwear for

I don't wear underwear for running either. That's what the liner in my running shorts is for (and presumably the tights have some sort of extra "protection" there too.) Why would I put on non-wicking underwear underneath sweat-wicking shorts?!

It took me a while to come

It took me a while to come around as I didn't want to concede to tight wearing. I eventually got a pair at an outlet clearance sale and tried them out for long cold trail runs (where no one could see me). They are amazing and I look foward to cool temps all year so I can wear them. There is an Adidas tent sale at the outlet malls near me twice a year. I just scored 2 pairs of the supernova tights, normally $60+, for $5 each. I go from shorts and no shirt until it hits the 40's. Then I move to tights and a T-shirt. Counting down here in VA for cooler temps :)

Oh yeah, they kinda make you feel like a superhero too :)

EW!I love my tights,

EW!

I love my tights, although in Georgia I don't wear them a ton. If you are in Texas (right?) and the temps are more variable like here, you might want to invest in capris. I just bought for a million dollars the skirt sports capri, and it was way worth it! And I second Sierra TP; they are great and just make sure to check for coupon codes so you can get 20% off every now and then.