running post abdominal surgery?

khyricat

Barefooters
Jan 14, 2011
the surgeon told me I'll be cleared to run and do other exercises the second week in Oct. I figure I need to start easy. I'd like to run the 5K Turkey Trot in Detroit on Thanksgiving. Does this sound realistic as a goal? I have been walking at least that far already, but I can just walk and after 8 hours at work and a 40 minute drive each way (I walk 2-4 miles per shift depending on the day) I am utterly exhausted. Surgery was 8/26. Has anyone else done this and does it sound reasonable? Any advice besides start slow and listen to my feet AND my belly?

What he said^what's the rush?

Reactions: Bare Lee
I am walking more than that distance during my workday and before I went back to work last week on my own.. but I know me.. if I don't have a race goal I tend to slack at running... even though I enjoy it.. I'll keep the distances short unless I'm training for something.. thus the thought of a race as a goal. that and a bunch of friends (non barefooters) are meeting up down there that I haven't seen in ages.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I am walking more than that distance during my workday and before I went back to work last week on my own.. but I know me.. if I don't have a race goal I tend to slack at running... even though I enjoy it.. I'll keep the distances short unless I'm training for something.. thus the thought of a race as a goal. that and a bunch of friends (non barefooters) are meeting up down there that I haven't seen in ages.
well then is your call I guess.

I was thinking that.. just a goal for distance, not worrying about speed... worst case I can walk part of it.. I may be doing it with the med director from work and my facility admin too... who I have been encouraging to get going with running (her first 5K practice run was this weekend and her first 5k race is the 20th)...

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts