Running on camping trips

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
My husband has twisted my arm to try camping again. Short story, I grew up camping and backpacking and we camped many times during the years our kids were growing up, so I'm no stranger to it. He says we will still be able to go on training runs while on the trips, but he likes to camp in very remote, non-populated places. There will be only gravel roads. I might try the short runs barefoot, but I don't know how much of the long run I can handle barefoot. The good news is he says he will run with me to protect me from bears and wolves. May have to carry a gun. He has been followed by mountain lions before. Accepting all moral support.

Goosh! Sounds like interesting places to camp! I have never ran barefoot on a camping trip like that but I think it would be wise to carry a gun just in case. Last year we camped at some state parks where I ran barefoot every day. These had asphalt roads with some loose gravel on top but were not as bad running on as originally expected. May have to carry some minimalist shoes just in case you run out of bullets! Ha Ha! Oh and who is the faster runner you our your husband? ;)

Oh and who is the faster runner you our your husband? ;)

Definitely my husband, but he always takes care of me, even when he takes me wading in potentially crocodile infested rivers in Costa Rica or on hikes in Zambia through the elephant grass where venomous snakes live. I think I have been a very good sport, even if not always a happy one. Once, he took me walking at deep dusk to show me the bats flying around. He threw a rock to get the bat to radar-in, but he misjudged and the rock and bat both appeared about a foot in front of my face. Yep, I'm a good sport.

I don't do a whole lot of car camping but suppose that would depend on the trails/roads and what the kids are doing, but I've never run while camping yet. Usually my camping is backpacking - and I get quite a workout already. The last bit trip (<<<my current avatar) I wasn't getting back to the tentsite until an hour after dark as it was.

Please don't venture into a wild animals territory and then shoot it for being wild.

Please don't assume that the woods are only for the wild animals or that we intend to shoot willy-nilly just because we leave open the option to protect ourselves when necessary. :)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Please don't assume that the woods are only for the wild animals or that we intend to shoot willy-nilly just because we leave open the option to protect ourselves when necessary. :)

My initial comment was a plea, I think you know what I meant by it. ;)
I'm not assuming anything, you mentioned guns and wild animals in the same sentence and i responded in kind.
I will put myself in harms way and then protect myself from harm with potential violence doesn't make sense to me, especially if one of the big clawed, toothy, fluffy critters could get one in the face and two in the chest just for following their instinct or protecting their homes and families from a perceived threat.
I know there are cultural differences in my thinking, but in my culture we have no wild animals left.

My initial comment was a plea, I think you know what I meant by it. ;)
I'm not assuming anything, you mentioned guns and wild animals in the same sentence and i responded in kind.
I will put myself in harms way and then protect myself from harm with potential violence doesn't make sense to me, especially if one of the big clawed, toothy, fluffy critters could get one in the face and two in the chest just for following their instinct or protecting their homes and families from a perceived threat.
I know there are cultural differences in my thinking, but in my culture we have no wild animals left.
I don't want to argue with you. I do think you are assumiing territorial boundaries that we don't think apply. Going out doors involves wild animals from the moment I step out my door, to varying degrees. I have birds in my garden, foxes and hawks stalking my chickens, deer at the lake five miles away that I hope never find my garden. Larger animals show up in the city fairly often. We have wolf packs establishing in the foothills bordering neighborhoods. Most of the animals are pretty bold about taking what they can. Some want to eat my food. Some will try to eat me given half a chance. The mountain lions don't seem to be aware of the boundaries whrn they come down into people's yards and eat their dogs or attack their toddlers. Not so cute. So at what point do we decide not to use or enjoy the outdoors because we might cross paths with some animals? Why is it looked at as unreasonably putting ourselves in harm's way to be out in nature. That is like saying we are intentionally putting ourselves in harm's way driving. It has risks, but there is benefit, too, so we do it carefully. All of life is like that. As for comparisons of getting attacked while running, I have had issues with local dogs, too. Cars can be dangerous to a pedestrian, too, and I am still going to try to go out and run. Basically, it's not safe out there. Being in unfamiliar places is required for exploring the world around us. My husband likes to explore the nooks and crannies of his environment. We will take precautions to keep ourselves safe as we engage in life, and sometimes that means having a gun handy. We value and enjoy wildlife, and we will keep our distance when possible, but we are not going to concede that the forest is just for them.

The reason animals are encroaching on your space is because their habitat is getting smaller and smaller as people think they have the right to take what they want, i also don't want to argue with you or stomach another Nick likes this.
I thank you for considered words though, i absolutely don't agree but at least you had the courage to engage on a difficult subject. You don't have the right to go anywhere you want, the fact that you need a gun to enter these places is proof of that, some habitats need to be set aside for other species that share this planet.
To be honest I don't think i'm good for this forum anymore, i've got issues, and it's not fair on TJ for me to express them here so i'll bid my farewell and wish you all good health and happiness.

The reason animals are encroaching on your space is because their habitat is getting smaller and smaller as people think they have the right to take what they want, i also don't want to argue with you or stomach another Nick likes this.
I thank you for considered words though, i absolutely don't agree but at least you had the courage to engage on a difficult subject. You don't have the right to go anywhere you want, the fact that you need a gun to enter these places is proof of that, some habitats need to be set aside for other species that share this planet.
To be honest I don't think i'm good for this forum anymore, i've got issues, and it's not fair on TJ for me to express them here so i'll bid my farewell and wish you all good health and happiness.
Basic differences in perspectives on life. It has been known to happen. Don't have any problems with discussion, but we do need to recognize when we are at an impasse. No need to bid farewell to the forum on my account. I can be friends with people I disagree with to the degree allowed by all our own choices. Just have to choose my level of engagemnt best suited to each relationship at a given moment. Hope to see you around. Shake hands?

Basic differences in perspectives on life. It has been known to happen. Don't have any problems with discussion, but we do need to recognize when we are at an impasse. No need to bid farewell to the forum on my account. I can be friends with people I disagree with to the degree allowed by all our own choices. Just have to choose my level of engagemnt best suited to each relationship at a given moment. Hope to see you around. Shake hands?

It's not anything to do with you songbird, yours just happened to be the thread that toppled me. I need to engage with people on issues but i feel there is just an abuse of the like button going on.
It may be all in my head, who knows but there is never smoke without fire and for some reason I'm becoming afraid to express an opinion which isn't good.
If someone agrees or disagrees with me then engage with me in conversation, much like you have just done songbird, that will always have my utmost respect and attention.
I need to here peoples views and opinions to form my own, selfish i know, but isn't that what a community should be all about?
This F****ing like button is taking away the voice of a generation and is the most haenous invention of our age. The opposite of like is hate and that's the flip side, you can't see it, but it's there and working hard behind the scenes.

So like i said I've got issues about all sorts of things which are out of the scope of barefoot running so this probably isn't the right platform or forum for me to express myself. I respect T..J.s hard work too much for that.
Sorry i derailed your thread songbird, i wanted to air my views, and still stand by them, but just felt very uncomfortable in doing so, but not because of you.

The badgers in my country are spreading TB amongst the domestic cattle so they are being shot with a suggestion from our own Princess Ann to gas them. Where do you draw the line? This wouldn't even be a problem if it weren't for indiscriminate farming methods that have ravaged most of our natural habitat, destroyed ancient woodlands. We can't keep taking and expect there not to be consequences. This way will surely bring the wolves to your door.
Our ancestors knew how to live along side nature, they understood it, lived in it and revered it. There was a healthy fear and respect that allowed for healthy and flourishing partnership, but there is no profit in this way of thinking so along with the indigenous people these traditions and skills were wiped out.
An urbanized human with a gun and a bit of a grudge against wild things is not a healthy path to understanding or even experiencing the wilderness. Conservation and education is a much more rewarding path as it will bring you closer to your surrounding and ultimately your true nature.
I know you asked for moral support, and i suspect that was driven by a little fear of entering a potential hostile environment, so my suggestion would be to seek out those that have lived off the grid, get educated, read 'into the wild' and grow a Mohawk ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee and Abide
I think this thread has been seriously high-jacked. :rolleyes: Well, so be it. But in that case, I will say that there are a lot of assumptions out there about why people are doing or enjoy certain things. It is very popular to complain about technology. I'm not in that group. Now, I'm off to tempt fate by working in the yard while the bees are out and the sun is shining on me. Hope the cranky neighbor doesn't come out to yell and harass me. If only he would stay on FB to vent.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
I think this thread has been seriously high-jacked. :rolleyes: Well, so be it. But in that case, I will say that there are a lot of assumptions out there about why people are doing or enjoy certain things. It is very popular to complain about technology. I'm not in that group. Now, I'm off to tempt fate by working in the yard while the bees are out and the sun is shining on me. Hope the cranky neighbor doesn't come out to yell and harass me. If only he would stay on FB to vent.
They complained about the printing press when it first came out too. Fears of mass literacy and diminished calligraphy skills.
In yard work solidarity, I should mention that I'll be doing some weed-whacking this evening, after my st, bike ride to pick up the kids, and dinner. BTW, I ran a mile this morning, and my stubbed left toe seems good-to-go. Another mile in a few hours, and if it checks out, three miles tomorrow morning. Good lord, life stinks without running, camping or otherwise (how's that for gently returning the hijack to topic?)

P.S., I for one would greatly miss Ske's presence on this site.

They complained about the printing press when it first came out too. Fears of mass literacy and diminished calligraphy skills.
In yard work solidarity, I should mention that I'll be doing some weed-whacking this evening, after my st, bike ride to pick up the kids, and dinner. BTW, I ran a mile this morning, and my stubbed left toe seems good-to-go. Another mile in a few hours, and if it checks out, three miles tomorrow morning. Good lord, life stinks without running, camping or otherwise (how's that for gently returning the hijack to topic?)
Excellent news on the toe and progress running. Thanks for the thread re-route (attempt?) :D