Running is bad for old folks like me ...

One thing in the article really puzzled me: "Watch any marathon runner and it’s obvious that his or her body is under a great deal of stress. Temperature increases ten-fold . . ." I don't even know what that means, or what they are trying to say. Strictly speaking, with temperature being a measure of the average energy of the molecules that make up something, to say that a temperature increases ten-fold requires the use of Kelvin. Since the human body is normally at about 310 degrees Kelvin, a ten-fold increase means 3100 degrees Kelvin (or maybe 3410, depending on whether they mean ten-times, or an increase of ten-times). That's way beyond spontaneous human combustion.

What a load of old crap! I had a heart attack in 1995 and ran a marathon in hot humid conditions 8 months later (4:45)and then a hilly half marathon (2:10) in the same weather conditions 3 weeks after that! Add asthma and developing AF to that and I still run with my dogs 3 to 5 miles most days of the week! Doc just smiles and says - "whatever you're doing - keep doing it!"

Hmm...what is the fire point of humans? Or the boiling point, for that matter?

In that study, researchers associated endurance training with temporary spikes in sustained inflammation that was, in some cases, injurious to the heart muscle. That impairment may lead to permanent scarring or ventricle damage, which was seen in 12 percent of cases, or more acute issues like arrhythmia or sudden death, which is what killed runner Micah True in 2012 while running a marathon in Mexico.

A) It was New Mexico, and B) he wasn't running a marathon - he was just running...for some reason I want to say it was a 12-miler. PS, outside of a relative handful of damn fine folks, most people don't know who Micah True was...

In short, exercise is great in small doses, but too much physical exertion too quickly or for too long a period can actually put a person’s heart at risk, especially if he or she is over age 35.

Ye gods, I'm over 35! No wonder why everything is going kaput....it's the running, of course! Now, I must away to my abode, whenceupon my arrival I shall smoke in bed and eat Ruffles dipped in Alfredo sauce (OK, that was over the top, but a fun thought, no?)

sudden cardiac death occurs in about one of every 15,000 joggers and one in every 50,000 runners

I wish she would share the difference between runners and joggers, because she seems to be the only one that knows what the line of demarcation is. Now, that said, using her math, there is between a 0.000067 and 0.00002% chance of up and dying, just like that....I think those percentages are just slightly higher than dying of spontaneous decapitation...

According to Carl J. Levine, M.D., Medical Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Prevention at the Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans, anyone interested in marathon running should undergo cardiac pre-screening tests to eliminate underlying heart conditions. As many as ten different pre-existing cardiac conditions can be detected.

...and Coca-Cola says that Americans should drink no less than 10 gallons of Coke a day to maintain a healthy blood-sugar level...

Yeah yeah heard it all before. The heart is a muscle and muscles need to be exercised of else they get weaker. The body adapts to loads put upon it, up to a certain point.
I assume the cardiologists would recommend not raising the heart rate above 100 and just sit in front of the TV eating fast food and coke. Why don't they draw conclusions between a Big Mac and heart attacks.... maybe they'd get sued. It sounds a bit like freakonomics to me.

Neil

Reactions: Sid
What a load of old cods-wallop and piffle!

These people keep firing shots across the bow knowing full well that eventually one will hit the target and someone will pop their clogs because of running. They can then write a book to justify their claims, potentially putting a lot of older folks health at risk through scaremongering.

Actually it does happen, people dropping dead or having heart attacks during a marathon. That's why everybody must have a medical certificate before buying a starting number and why it's forbidden to resell it on the black market if you can't participate after all.
It also happens that people drop dead or have heart attacks at their work place or in their cars or during whatever else there are doing (with or without partners :D) , depending on the general level of stress in their lives.
Which percentage would be higher: the chance of dropping dead during a run or the chance of dropping dead during any other moment of a hardworking life?

Actually it does happen, people dropping dead or having heart attacks during a marathon. That's why everybody must have a medical certificate before buying a starting number and why it's forbidden to resell it on the black market if you can't participate after all.
It also happens that people drop dead or have heart attacks at their work place or in their cars or during whatever else there are doing (with or without partners :D) , depending on the general level of stress in their lives.
Which percentage would be higher: the chance of dropping dead during a run or the chance of dropping dead during any other moment of a hardworking life?

There is a process of natural selection going on in all our lives, if it wasn't the human species would fail, so sadly some folks just don't make it.
It makes no sense whatsoever to say that a species evolved to run for its survival shouldn't run after a certain age, in the past that would just mean a slow, painful death through starvation!

sadly, many people will take this as gospel as a good reason not to exercise. don't people know no matter what you do you're going to die? exercise just makes the ride better until you do.

These people keep firing shots across the bow knowing full well that eventually one will hit the target and someone will pop their clogs because of running. They can then write a book to justify their claims, potentially putting a lot of older folks health at risk through scaremongering.

...and in other news, studies show a 100% mortality rate in water drinkers...

sadly, many people will take this as gospel as a good reason not to exercise. don't people know no matter what you do you're going to die? exercise just makes the ride better until you do.

...and that's the problem I have with these articles. Someone gets a hold of it and uses it as a lame rationalization to do even less...actually, I take that back: To call that a lame rationalization would be an insult to lame rationalizations; actually, it's complete and utter bullsh!t (or bollocks, to our friends in the UK). It's like the drinking a glass or two of wine per day - folks (OK, Americans) take it to the extreme: If a glass a day is good, then a bottle a day must be better!

Reactions: Sid and NickW
Nothing left on the road and not regrets, if I'm still limping when I'm done then I haven't tried hard enough.

Quoted for total agreement, I want to exit in style not like a damp fart.

...and in other news, studies show a 100% mortality rate in water drinkers...

Ah, the hidden depths of Pirate, that insight pretty much sums it up for me and should be stamped on a T-Shirt, pronto.

Reactions: Sid and jldeleon
You're more likely to die from sex than endurance training.

I so like this!!!
Yup, I am going to drop dead from running one day, I completely agree but damn I will be sure happy doing it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test