Running in the dark

roberekson

Barefooters
Oct 28, 2010
So my main problem with running true barefoot (rather than a "barefoot stride" in Vibrams or Frees), is that my weekday runs are at about 5:00am, when it's still dark out, so I can't always see what I'm stepping on, and my Saturday runs are over 10 miles, which I don't want to rush into barefoot.

Does anybody else here run barefoot when it's dark out and the lighting isn't that great? And if so, how?

The BRS does not recommend

The BRS does not recommend you run barefoot in the dark. Disclaimer over... But I do run barefoot in the dark, that is when I was running. In fact, I enjoyed running at midnight during the hottest part of the summer. It provides a whole new adventure to barefoot running, one you just don't get during the day. If you feel naughty like you're streaking running barefoot now during the day, just try it at night, you'll feel like a criminal! It's incredible!

Most of the time, I did not use lighting, but sometimes I would wear a white light facing forward at my waist and a red light facing backward at my waist. It provides much light, and along with the street lamps, I never had any problems.

My runs usually are in the

My runs usually are in the evening after sunset. Before I got my VFFs and when it was a bit warmer I would start the run barefoot in twilight, when there was just enough light to go barefoot and still spot potentially dangerous objects. The street lights helped alot. I would run into problems in residential areas where there wasn't as much lighting. I usually carried my flip flops for areas where I couldn't see very well. They were nice because I could get them off and on so easily. Not the best to run on though... Now that I have my VFFs I usually start barefoot and transition into the VFFs when it gets to dark. I don't transition back and forth because they take too long to get on.

However, I think I would be more comfortable going barefoot in the dark if I had some kind of light with me. But take my experience with a grain of salt as I only have a couple of months of barefoot running under my belt.

I use a headlamp a lot. 

I use a headlamp a lot. I think I ordered one from LLBean, but nothing beats the thrill/danger/fun of going without any extra light. Other people have said this, but it's like naked feet naturally can see in the dark, even if your eyes can't. It's a little extra incentive to keep your steps very short and light.

But if you're going to do it, use a headlamp. Despite the fact that I've loved the lightless runs, I can't recommend it. I honestly don't know how I've managed to avoid stepping on something bad when doing it.

I almost tend to think that

I almost tend to think that our perseption of the number of "dangerous objects" must be skewed compared to reality. Honestly... of all the runs the last couple months I only remember seeing anything truly dangerous once of twice. Although, this probably depends on the area that you run in. But that fear is always there...

Even though I'm sure its

Even though I'm sure its probably safer not to, I love running bf in the dark. I was really nervous the first few times, but its pretty wonderful now. I think not being able to see what I'm stepping on lets me relax more. If I hit a rock then I adjust for it instead of trying to avoid everything. I really think my dark runs have made me a better bf runner. In the light I have to remind myself to relax, but I never have this problem in the dark. I certainly feel your pain on the long runs though. Not really any way to speed that along.

I think for me it's been two

I think for me it's been two times in the past two years that I have seen something possibly dangerous.

I heart my speech recognition software, except when it logs me out when I say...okay let me type this...TJ!

This reminds me of something

This reminds me of something I noticed earlier this year when walking on gravel. I was really inspired by Ken Bob's workshop here in Chicago. He makes gravel look so easy. So I started walking on the gnarly gravel in the alley behind my house. Ouch, ouch, ouch. However, when I closed my eyes, my feet did much better. For some reason, looking at the gravel resulted in a lot of pain. Closing my eyes or looking up, resulted in my feet just feeling my way down the alley.

Somehow, I think this relates to running in the dark.

Matt, one word describes my

Matt, one word describes my reaction to that "whoa!"

I'm have to try this!

ajb422 wrote:Even though I'm

ajb422 said:
Even though I'm sure its probably safer not to, I love running bf in the dark. I was really nervous the first few times, but its pretty wonderful now. I think not being able to see what I'm stepping on lets me relax more. If I hit a rock then I adjust for it instead of trying to avoid everything. I really think my dark runs have made me a better bf runner.

+1.

I do it. It's probably not smart but it's pretty fun, you feel like you're on the edge. I tend to go on streets and trails where (even though I can't see nearly anything) I am already familiar with the KIND of stuff that might be there. So I'm not shocked when I step on an acorn, or two teens making out. :| It's odd there haven't been more surprises.

There will always be a

There will always be a risk, but if you know your course, it is probably limited.

When I ran shod, I would log about 90% of my winter kilometers in the dark. My usual Route is along the Rhein in Bonn. Most of it is partially lighted, but there are big stretches that get pitch black. Even the lighted portions are not light enough to see the small objects that I might avoid in the light. I have run the are so often, I know every centimeter by heart. But, what I will never know, is whether someone has freshly disposed of a beer bottle in such a way that no one will ever get the 8 euro-cent deposit back.

With winter approaching, I face the same dilemma. So far, I have tried running once in the dark barefoot. As far as sharp objects are concerned, it was no problem. Luck? I did hit a slightly skewed up cobblestone with my mid-foot. It left a handsome bruise in the center of the foot, but it doesn't hurt a bit. Funny thing is, even if I had seen it, I would not have thought to avoid the stone, since all the of stones in that stretch are skewed. I am thinking about a headlamp, but I doubt that it will light the way enough to avoid sharp things.

Give it a try, if you know your course well. Take along some tweezers and liquid band-aid. You'll never rule out the risk. But, if you can't relax while doing it, it is probably not worth it.

I am with TJ and the others on the pleasures of running in the dark. Some of my fondest memories of shod (minimalist) runs are a good 10km, in the dark of the winter night, about 5º C, no one else around, and nothing but the sound of the river and the tap, tap, tap of my own two feet.

Cheers,

Jamie

I used to take regular runs

I used to take regular runs along the Rhine too! Only I ran in Mainz/Wiesbaden. I miss that! Very picturesque!

I run on a very dark but

I run on a very dark but paved trail early in the morning. I bought a Peltz headlamp from LL Bean. They have a good selection. I first tried my sons LLBean headlamp, about a 30 dollar model which worked very well. So I ordered one that was twice as expensive, but really they both seem to give the same amount of light. I'm really thrifty that way! To justify the extra money, it does have a band that goes over the top of the head and uses 3 - AA's for longer battery life.

From my experience, the LED's light my path enough so that I can avoid obstacles, but the color light that they shine does not giive good contrast to smaller dark colored rocks, etc., on a back top type surface.

I still enjoy the quiet dark runs and think it worth the time and money to get a lamp.

Hope this is helpful.

Per

It always throws me off just

It always throws me off just for a moment if I'm running in the dark and a car comes along with its headlights pointed in my direction. It forces me to look down while I am running, to look away from the light. It forces me to see the debris in my path.

Streetlamps are a good thing.

Streetlamps are a good thing. I prefer to do my running at night, partially because I think people can't see me, and partially because thats when its convenient. I have never run over gravel in complete darkness, but I have with very, very little light, and I've found that my feet bascially have the force. I can run over a 50 foot long stretch of gravely dirt without actually stepping badly on any of the rocks. I have no idea how. I'm sure there are some dangerous things that you need to see, but honestly I don't think my day-light runs have been any "safer" than my night runs. I also find night runs more relaxing, just because I feel like I'm more alone. However, the same is not true for bike-rides, I almost crashed like 20 times last night because I couldn't see where any of the lips on curbs were.

Before transitioning to

Before transitioning to barefoot, I used to do most of my runs on trails at night with a headlamp pulled over my waist. I loved those runs! I've been hesitant to run barefoot at night, though, but after reading this thread I might give it a try. Probably not a trail run, but at least around the neighborhood.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS