Running Frequency

Kudzu80

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I'm not new to running, but what I am new to is enjoying it and actually getting benefit out of it. Before BFR/VFF it was a, make myself do it/endure the pain/try and see if I can stick with it this time, thing.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about how often a person should run. Everyday? Every other day? Light run one day, heavy run the next? Or is it just a listen to your body/do what feels right thing?

I don't want to hurt myself, but I want to improve as much and as quickly as possible. My only physical training was in the Army and it was always bigger, better, faster, harder, suck it up cry-baby, training. I'm certain that this is not the appropriate approach.

Thoughts?

I would run everyday if I

I would run everyday if I had time but work/family etc keep me from that so I get in whatever I can anywhere from 3 - 7 days depending. If your new to barefoot running I think its easier on your body to run less distance per run and more often than less often and more distance per run, thats what I prefer anyway. This is something with no right answer its whatever you figure out for yourself just take it slow and easy with a gradual buildup when your first ramping up.

Right now I am struggling to

Right now I am struggling to get at least 3 runs in a week - work and family take up most of my time. When I first started out, I was a little too gung-ho and ended up with a 2 week hiatus due to TOFP. So, depending on how long you've been running barefoot/minimalist I'd say be more cautious in the beginning and then increase your distance gradually. Let your body (mainly your feet) tell you what is enough. The issue I had was that I felt great, but my feet were not strong enough for the distances my body wanted to run. I feel like I have so much more energy when I'm running barefoot than I ever had running with shoes.

With the California weather being so crazy lately - hot then cold, I've had a little motivation trouble. I'm ramping up now for a half marathon in May, so I have to stay focused. Up to 5 miles now. Going to try for at least 6 this weekend.

During the best parts of the

During the best parts of the year, I run about 5 times a week. My favorite non-training distance is 10 miles.

I run every other day with

I run every other day with two days off after a long run... This usually equals 3 days a week... I do a geat deal of cross-training and may increase in time...

However, in my 10 years of running in shoes, it was very hard to stay healthy... Or I should say I was almost never 100%.

So, BFR/MR has opened a new door... I have high hopes that running can be more enjoyable...

Indeed, it already is....

I'm in the same boat as SSH. 

I'm in the same boat as SSH. I tend to run about every other day in non-winter weather. I also do a lot of crosstraining (weight training stuff.) My training is always focused on long runs which usually happen on the weekend. Weekday runs are usually much shorter, though usually faster.

As far as the best method for new barefoot runners, I think running every other day is ideal. First, it gives your body time to heal from the adaptation process (strengthening of bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles.) Second, it gives you an opportunity to accurately assess injuries. Soft tissue injuries sometimes take a day or two to appear.

In theory I run 3 days a

In theory I run 3 days a week. But in practice, I run a little here and there when the kids are in school and the weather is holding out and I don't have to be at my parents' house to help move something heavy and I don't have a meeting.

My schedule depends on what

My schedule depends on what I'm working towards. Whe I was going for a good HM time, I was running 5 days a week, when I was adding endurance for a full, I was running 4 days a week, but longer runs. I agree, until you are really comfortable with barefoot running, ever other day is best. Once you have developed your feet enough, you can increase it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks for all the advice. It seems that the consensus is every other day to start, so that is what I will do, or try and maintain anyway. I have two bad habits that are incredibly contradictory. I'm an awful procrastinator, have a difficult time completing personal projects, but when I do get on the ball I want results NOW. When I don't get it I get discouraged.

I'm doing better in keeping at this than I ever thought I would. I've given myself a goal of competing in a local 10k fundraiser at the end of next month. I'm hoping that keeps me focused. We shall see!

haha Norm, isn't that the

haha Norm, isn't that the truth ;)

I run 3 days a week, occasionally 4 and cross train 3-5 times a week.

I agree with others, it really depends on your barefoot experience, how your transition is going and the advice your feet gives you. Run when it feels good, take it easy when it doesn't, don't run when it feels BAD. During transition, I think it's wise to give your feet/legs a days rest between runs. GL

I agree that every other day

I agree that every other day is most prudent. But sometimes I just have to be opportunistic and grab whatever days during the week I can run. I try to run 3-4 times a week and do pilates 3 times a week as well on top of walking to work most days. On days where I do run back to back, I try to make sure that the runs aren't too taxing. And then I usually end up with a couple days off before I run again. If I feel any pain after the back to back days, I don't run until it's gone.

At this point, I've only been running minimalist for about two months. So far, so good.

You sound very fit, AK.  How

You sound very fit, AK. How is the weather up there? Is everything in full bloom like it is here in Georgia? Is it still cold there?

Thanks TJ. I'm searching for

Thanks TJ. I'm searching for the fountain of youth and may have found it in VFF running and pilates.

It's still cold in Alaska. We even had a few inches of snow last week. My daffodils are trying to come, but
more snow needs to melt from my yard before we'll green up and welcome spring. We're still dipping into the twenties and thirties.

I'm actually out of state right now, helping with my grandmother. It is very much spring in Massachusetts. All the flowering trees are in bloom. It's quite lovely. I've been able to squeeze in a few runs to help get grounded. Over our long winter, I forget how nice it is to run not all bundled up. It should be nice at home too when I return.

So how are you standing your oppressively good weather?

I'm standing it pretty well,

I'm standing it pretty well, thank you. It is so beautiful here. All the trees are in bloom. The colors are brillant and beautiful. There's so much pollen, I've seen actual green dusty clouds blowing past through my neighborhood. The other day it looked like a fog day, but it was all green. Awesome. Have a good trip home, AK.

Running with minimalistic

Running with minimalistic shoes (Feelmax Osma or Panka), is to me subtitution training. Mostly I'm training CST (Circular Strength Training). I'm running 2 - 3 times a week 3 - 5 miles at time.

I'm using 7 x 4 principle in my training. My training is divided 4 days micro cycles (no intensity, low intensity, moderate intensity and high intensity)...these micro cycles I drive 7 times (totally 28 days) - and absolutely hardest training day 28.

Intensity of these days follows intuitive training which in simple is: on a scale 1 to 10 I log my subjective effort of trainging, 10 being hardest training ever.
  • No intensity day effort between 1 - 2
  • Low intensity day between 3 - 4
  • moderate day between 5 - 7
  • High intensity 8 - 10
I'm using these principles in my training and I think this is very good way to secure your progression, when you programme your training like above. It let you work hard enough, but at the same time secures your restitution after hard training.

Henri

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts