Running barefoot is odd behavior that police should investigate

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. I've always considered the possibility that someone may find my barefoot running so unusual that it would need to be reported to the police. However, I figured it was just my overactive imagination.

But now, a neighbor of mine pointed this out to me. It is a letter submitted to the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/265764381.html?page=2&c=y

In this letter, the writer speaks of a friend of his who was stopped by the police while running barefoot. Apparently, someone had called the police out of "concern" for the man's safety.

I've been pulled over by the police for running barefoot but I didn’t take it as an insult to my “freedom”, people don’t know what we are doing and is normal to think that they are going to be curious, older people most of all, nothing that cannot be solved with 10 seconds of explanation.

And for you all to know, the police pulled me over, because they thought I was having problems, that I were mugged or that I escaped from kidnappers.

The comments about the constitution were unnecessary, I rather a police that responds quickly that a Police that doesn’t.

Regards…

I've been pulled over by the police for running barefoot but I didn’t take it as an insult to my “freedom”, people don’t know what we are doing and is normal to think that they are going to be curious, older people most of all, nothing that cannot be solved with 10 seconds of explanation.

And for you all to know, the police pulled me over, because they thought I was having problems, that I were mugged or that I escaped from kidnappers.

The comments about the constitution were unnecessary, I rather a police that responds quickly that a Police that doesn’t.

Regards…

I could agree with this more if police actually did respond quickly to more pressing matters, but they don't. I'd be annoyed if I were approached by the police about running barefoot. I don't care if a few seconds of explanation could solve the situation. It just seems ridiculous that people so often come to harm from slow, or no response from the police, but, they have time for this.

Reactions: happysongbird
I guess we are running an illegal organization here then.

That makes me wonder if I'd get stopped by the MPD if I decide to run on any of the paved trails around the Chain of Lakes (Calhoun, Isles, Harriet, Nokomis, etc) or along the River Road...

Reactions: Bare Lee
Where I run (France) I sometimes get stopped by friendly people who think that I'm in need of help - maybe running away from a wife beating husband or something like that - and sometimes they offer to phone the police or even to give me a lift in their car to a safe location. It is interesting to note though, that this concerned behavior ("how can I help this shoeless person") comes mainly from british tourists and not from my french neighbors, who might give me an odd look but generally have better things to do than questioning other peoples' strange behavior...

Most people have no notion of barefoot running,

There is nothing wrong with people showing concern, . . . .
Many people are confused by bicycle travel as well, and show similar concern. Must just be human nature. Many times, while fully loaded with gear and supplies, I would get asked by truck and car drivers, slowing down to talk to me, if I needed a ride, as if my car had broken down and so I got out the bike from the trunk to make it to the next town. South Africans were the most concerned about me needing a ride, and when I refused, they would give me directions to their homes/farms in case I needed a place to stay. I took up those offers a few times . . .

Never got stopped by the police here in the Twin Cities though, and I often run in the wee hours of the morning. It's true though, most people think you're performing some superhuman feat, so I guess concern is a natural reaction.

Anyway, thanks for the article link Moose, I had missed that. My friends and family got a kick out it.

Most people have no notion of barefoot running, including the police, so to them is could seem like an injustice or human rights issue.
There is nothing wrong with people showing concern, no matter which social or ethnic or work group they are from, it just shows they care.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I don't want someone's carelessness, misplaced and ill-thought-out concern to result in having the cops stop and question me. I don't care if a few moments of explanation could clear things up. Being stopped by the cops is a big deal, especially if I'm not doing anything that could cause concern to a reasonable person. If you don't think so, ask yourself what would happen if you told the cops to mind their own business. Once a cop decides to stop and question you, you are in a whole world of uncertainty. If there is no clear and present danger, think things through before you call the cops on someone.

Reactions: migangelo
Once a cop decides to stop and question you, you are in a whole world of uncertainty. If there is no clear and present danger, think things through before you call the cops on someone.
Well I think there might be a difference between american cops (which I have never encountered - and from your description I suppose this is probably a good thing) and the ordinary french, british (their friendliness is legendary) or german cop (at least in rural areas): I've been brought up (in Germany) to turn to the police if ever I need help - and this conditioned my whole attitude towards cops: they are not my enemy but my helper, paid by my taxes. My safety (barefoot or not) is actually their business. And even if they stop my car, ask to see my licence and check the wheels, I know they do this to ensure general safety on the road. So I always give them a big smile and they are always courteous with me.
Of course, there are also some black sheep inside the police in my country, but the occasional encounter with an a$$hole does make life interesting after all...

This has happened to me multiple times in both Kansas City Missouri and Louisville Kentucky. I don't fault the police for responding to a call to "check" on me. In all cases they have acted OK. I do wonder if a private citizen is so concerned, then why not just ask, rather than waste police effort. Maybe they were scared, I don't know.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I don't want someone's carelessness, misplaced and ill-thought-out concern to result in having the cops stop and question me. I don't care if a few moments of explanation could clear things up. Being stopped by the cops is a big deal, especially if I'm not doing anything that could cause concern to a reasonable person. If you don't think so, ask yourself what would happen if you told the cops to mind their own business. Once a cop decides to stop and question you, you are in a whole world of uncertainty. If there is no clear and present danger, think things through before you call the cops on someone.

What you're talking about is taking control over peoples perception of you, something that will never happen unless you are prepared for open dialogue.

I got on a train once with my pet German Shepherd and I had sunglasses on at the time, next thing i know the ticket collector was asking someone older than me to vacate his seat for me.
Long story short he thought i was blind, his perception of me was wrong, so when i told him i had 20/20 vision we all laughed, but i still got a seat because my pup was sooo00 cute.

Any cops amongst our barefoot community? I know people in such professions are often bound by gagging laws on the net, but it would be interesting to hear a different perspective.

Reactions: Hobbit
What you're talking about is taking control over peoples perception of you, something that will never happen unless you are prepared for open dialogue.

I got on a train once with my pet German Shepherd and I had sunglasses on at the time, next thing i know the ticket collector was asking someone older than me to vacate his seat for me.
Long story short he thought i was blind, his perception of me was wrong, so when i told him i had 20/20 vision we all laughed, but i still got a seat because my pup was sooo00 cute.

Any cops amongst our barefoot community? I know people in such professions are often bound by gagging laws on the net, but it would be interesting to hear a different perspective.

I'm not trying to take control of people's perceptions of me. I'm expressing an opinion of how I feel about people's behavior. I don't expect people to change, but I reserve my right to express my annoyance when I think people act foolishly. We disagree on this issue. Fine. I'm OK with that.

Reactions: Sid
I have to agree with TD Moose on this - i lived in Minneapolis for a while and have seen some of the oddest things prompt a timely police visit, while other things that should get a faster response, don't. i think part of that comes down to the 911 operators and dispatchers, which is a whole 'nother (and potentially unpleasant) discussion...

That being said, if a person calling the police about a barefoot runner sounded panicked or gave the dispatcher the impression the runner was hurt or in potential danger, then I could completely understand a timely police response.

Reactions: dutchie53
I'm not trying to take control of people's perceptions of me. I'm expressing an opinion of how I feel about people's behavior. I don't expect people to change, but I reserve my right to express my annoyance when I think people act foolishly. We disagree on this issue. Fine. I'm OK with that.

Dude i'm not seeking you're approval, just sharing my thoughts and a personal experience in an open forum.

Sometimes people with certain mental conditions when off their medications will walk around sans shirt and shoes, even in winter. The police just want to make sure that is not the case by talking to you and seeing how you respond. They just want to make sure everything's OK.

Brother-in-law is retired cop.

I've had cops drive by me, especially when doing the Winter Challenge! They loop around and drive by again. I just wave and they continue on, usually with a look of shock and awe on their face.

I've had cops drive by me, especially when doing the Winter Challenge! They loop around and drive by again. I just wave and they continue on, usually with a look of shock and awe on their face.
I assume this is bound to happen this winter for me as well seeing as a few cops live in my neighborhood.