Running barefoot in Israel

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Running season kicks off in Israel ISRAEL21c
“Running is one of the biggest growing sports in Israel, especially in the last ... Barefoot running – also known as minimalist or natural running – is all ...

See the last section. We don't hear much from Israel, but we did have an International Barefoot Running Day event registered last year, first time.

I was running barefoot in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem a couple of years ago. Everybody seemed to think I was crazy. Maybe they were right :)

I suppose you didn't see any other barefooters at that time?

"Pergamin, a leader of the style in Israel, says barefoot running can correct a runner’s form and usually results in fewer injuries. He says there are about 2,000 Israelis involved in the sport today and that the numbers are growing." Looks like with a population of just under 8 million they have a HUGE % of barefoot runners! Good thing only roughly 20% of the population is Orthodox in their Jewish religious views, the Shulchan Aruch strictly forbids being barefoot for more than a few steps in the morning with exceptions being made only for Yom Kippur and mourning. Secularism Rules!

Wow! Up to this day I thought I'm the only one here :) Although I live in mostly rural part of the country and don't meet many runners at my ways , when visiting TLV or Jerusalem you don't see any barefooters. Running barefoot here, at my region, made me sort of "local celeb"...

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and Sid
Welcome, Pavel. So glad to have you here with us. :barefoot: