Running backpack advice?

stjohnthegambler

Chapter Presidents
Jun 28, 2010
Oregon
www.johnyohe.com
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a backpack to run with. I'd like to try running to work, and need something to carry my work clothes. I had an old girlfriend who did this, but I can't ask her now, but I was wondering, is there something like this? I've checked out the Ospreys, and have considered just pulling the water pack, but with the models I tried, the waist straps only came around my navel. Do I just need a longer model? Does that exist?

Any advice welcome!
John

Osprey make their packs in at

Osprey make their packs in at least two sizes to fit different backs. Do you know what size you tried on? I still love my Manta after a summer of abusing it, I have a size large and I'm 6'. Once I adjust all the straps it simply does not move until I take it off again, and I don't even tighten the straps that much.

I actually just use a

I actually just use a drawstring bag to haul gatorade and some granola bars on my longer runs (I got low blood sugar once. Not fun. Never go more than 5 miles without carrying calories now. Not that I can go more than 5 barefoot yet anyways.) If you just tie the drawstrings from both sides together it works pretty well. Your work clothes would probably be pretty wrinkled though... And it only works if the drawstrings are a little long, otherwise you can't make a knot.

I had an old girlfriend who

I had an old girlfriend who did this, but I can't ask her now

Huh? Your old girlfriend use to carry your clothes on her back to work for you? Huh? How old was she? Hee. ;-)

I use a 1000 cubic inch waist

I use a 1000 cubic inch waist pack to carry the pants, shirt and socks I need every day at work. There's plenty of space left over for my VFFS when I take them off for the last 5 miles most nights.

The pack cinches down tight around my pelvis so there is rarely need to adjust it as I travel.

I tried doing this and

I tried doing this and nothing really worked. If you only do it a couple days a week, you can just leave what you need there. I run home more often and that's alot easier.

My favorite packs are the

My favorite packs are the Inov-8 Race Pro series. I have a Race Pro 4 and a Race Pro 12. The Pro 12 would be good for carrying your clothes in. The good part about these packs is that the hydration system is easily removable and doesn't interfere with the storage aspect of the pack. The hydration bladder is horizontal and goes on the bottom of the Pro 12 rather than on the backpack portion like in most packs. You can also use the one hydration bladder for all packs in the series, so I only have one bladder for both packs. It's a little steep in price at $80, but it's the best running backpack I've ever owned.

232-10501-1-2T.jpg

Wow, thank you all for the

Wow, thank you all for the advice. I was only thinking off running to work once or twice a week, and it didn't even occur to me to plan ahead!

I'm not sure which Osprey's I tried, but I'm 5'11'' and I felt like a giant. The Manta doesn't sound familiar, though I was checking the tags for one that was described as being for runners. No go.

But I do like the look of that Inov-8! Also, I have an old Mountainsmith waistpack..I'm not sure why I was thinking the shoulder straps were necessary. I guess I'm thinking they'd make things more stable.

And, for the record, I meant that my ex-gf carried her own clothes to work! I'm not THAT bad. I think....

Cheers, John

I have a Lafuma Active 30

I have a Lafuma Active 30 that I use when I run to work. It's very stable thanks to it's motion control system and it holds a ton of gear. I've run to work with my work clothes, shower gear, and a week's worth of lunch materials with no problem.

Can't say enough good things about this. I believe they offer a smaller version if this one is too big.

Shacky wrote:motion

Shacky said:
motion control

Quickly people, get your torches and pitch forks! We have a WITCH to burn! :crazy:

Ok, so thanks again for the

Ok, so thanks again for the advice. The Inov-8s were too far away to check out, so I went back to Bivoac in Ann Arbor and re-checked out the Ospreys. Turns out I was only looking at the smaller versions. The Mantas were on the other side, and yes, they are much longer. Also, the store was only displaying the S/M sizes. I had to ask if they had any M/L. They did, in back. Strange, and also I don't really think the people working there knew anything about these types of packs.

Anyway, I bought a M/L Osprey Manta, and the hip belt actually goes around my hips. Feels very stable, but I have yet to test drive it.

I still think there's value in planning ahead, but this actually works in with my goal for next summer: To run an ultra, when I will need something like this.

The whole design is ingenious. I love the mesh back for air circulation, there's plenty o' room for storage, and I can take out the water part if I want. I have yet to actually try it in action, but looks good.

Thanks again!

John

I highly highly recommend

I highly highly recommend Nathan packs, as they're designed by long distance runners for long distance runners (and they have some mtn bike designs too). For hydration packs, they're probably the most popular on the ultra 'circuit.' if there really was such a thing.

The one I use, perhaps not large enough for your needs, is:
http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/race-vests/hpl-020

The three major plusses of the Nathan packs are:

*Absolutely the lightest packs out there per volume.

*Has front pockets on the shoulder straps that are invaluable: gives you access to food, electrolytes, phone, Garmin GPS, whatever without taking off your pack. I will never buy another pack again without this, and will probably sew something similar on my full mountaineering pack.

*Good stability on your body.

The one minus is that the actual hydration bladder that comes with it, while innovative, will die fairly quickly, so replace it with one from another brand.

Agree with Ken that the

Agree with Ken that the Nathan HPL-020 is pretty much the best thing out there for strictly running but it's carrying volume isn't all that much

I absolutely love my CamelBak

I absolutely love my CamelBak Mule! I can carry everything I need in a long run, and it's comfortable! I've run with a CamelBak since I was in the Marines.

Plus, it's disgustingly pink!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test