runamoc

Jimmy, are you on it?

Jimmy, are you on it?

Those look interesting. Not

Those look interesting. Not sure I like the sheep skin for running though.

I think the sheep skin is

I think the sheep skin is too much insulation. Even in the coldest temps I'm out in VFFs with Injinji socks and I'm fine. I like the idea of the suede Runamoc that is advertised on the Softstar website better. I think the warmth there would be fine.

you guys had any problems

you guys had any problems with ice cold water and slush? I went walked Lassen pk last month and when going through streams and icey water I had to put on waterproof socks.

I know that's not running, but I want a shoe to wear walking around in the ice cold wetness and not get frostbite.

I agree the sheepskin is prolly overkill.

kitsune: Have you tried

kitsune: Have you tried smartwool socks? I swear by them ever since I was a paper boy. I wore them in normal running shoes with a coolmax liner and I never had cold feet even though I regularly stepped in deep puddles of ice water. The wool actually feels even warmer when wet.

hmm, I don't have any

hmm, I don't have any smartwool (i've been planning on buying some for a while now), but I do have some REI wool socks, I'll try those next time... also, if the wool makes the ice water tolerable, won't the sheepskin lining do the same thing?

Thanks blind boy.... now i'm wondering (other than the sheepskin thing) what use the winter runamocs are....?

well, actually I do think they look cool=)

It's not the brand that's

It's not the brand that's important, its the wool itself. Personally, I plan on trying the wool Injinjis this winter along with either the compression socks or the liner model. I'm undecided on shoes at this point though but I'm leaning towards a pair of EVOs.

The thing with the sheepskin, I think, is that it would make them hold water. The same thing with Gore-Tex, if you have a shoe that doesn't drain you'll eventually become cold no matter what if you step in something. They do look promising for non-running purposes though.

Thanks for the post.  Looks

Thanks for the post. Looks like too much Moc in general for my likings. When I was running with foot covering I loved the Run Amoc's. They would have a hard time keeping your feet dry and warm under certain conditions. I am going to try these this winter with socks http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1344. You can always put some mink oil or other leather conditioning product to help keep the moisture out of something like these. Soft stars have more than enough room IMO for whatever toe splay you are looking for. KSO's and Trek's even with socks just was not enough for me. I also tend to be more comfortable in the winter wearing mittens on my hands instead of gloves. I think my feet are similar. I might have a bit of Reynaud’s syndrome. Although I have had some wonderful winter runs as a whole winter running is starting lose its luster the older I get.

Hey guys, Why not take a

Hey guys,

Why not take a waterproof sock, and glue a piece of leather to it? I used a regular sock this last winter, but it got gross when wet. I guess I never thought about the existence of a waterproof sock.

It's really easy. If you want to know the best way to glue leather to socks, let me know...I've experimented. I have a lot of free time. :)

I think Soft Star is off the

I think Soft Star is off the wall with those sheepskin moccasons for winter running. Thirty minutes wearing those things in cold, snow, and slush and you're lugging around 3 pounds on each foot. They need to get out in the real world. For winter, they need to develope a shoe with a nylon upper and a goretex liner. It would probably be less than 4 onces per foot.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS