Run-walk-run: method or madness?

Yes, IF you stop doing what caused the problem/pain it will go away with time. Backing off is certainly a good idea but avoiding the cause will be key for your future goal of 10+ mile runs. If you are not aware of weight shift now it is very likely that you constantly have variations/inconsistency in your running form that manifests itself as normal the more you run and the more intense that you run.
Yes, I've considered that possibility, but let's start with the simplest, most obvious explanation.
First,
1. Running too much.
Then,
2. Running too much with bad technique.

Once we eliminate the first possibility, we can move on to the second. I don't think it's safe to assume every problem begins and ends with technique, although I certainly appreciate your input.

Lee,

Yes if reducing how much you run fixes the problem by all means do that. You have said you really want to do 10+ miles at a time. The two definitely go hand in hand and can't be seperated.

What the heck does 'lateral weight shift' mean? Haven't run into that before, so a quick
"what it is and why you shouldn't have it" ?

"Lateral weight shift" refers to actively moving ones body weight from side to side as they run during each step. Rather than control the weight to move forward at each step. Lateral weight shift is a big contributor to itbs overuse pain. Some even believe it is the main cause.

"Lateral weight shift" refers to actively moving ones body weight from side to side as they run during each step. Rather than control the weight to move forward at each step. Lateral weight shift is a big contributor to itbs overuse pain. Some even believe it is the main cause.
I would still be interested in knowing what kind of drills you recommend, if you have the time.

Lee,

At this point we are still just making an educated guess that you are shifting your weight laterally as you walk/run. Would be ideal to know more definitively before going into specific drills. Let me see if I can get a short video made to help you determine if you are shifting your weight laterally or not.

Reactions: Bare Lee
speaking of walking... these gals "walk" a 5K about twice as fast as I can run! Dang! But they sure do look silly doing it. :eek:

I have to wonder if there's any kind of risk to hips and other joints with that much hip "twisting" going on.

Reactions: happysongbird
speaking of walking... these gals "walk" a 5K about twice as fast as I can run! Dang! But they sure do look silly doing it. :eek:

I have to wonder if there's any kind of risk to hips and other joints with that much hip "twisting" going on.

Now that's about the stupidest thing I ever watched. Why the hell would that even be in the darn Olympics?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Lee,

As you run do you feel pressure on your feet roll/shift from outer forefoot to inner forefoot? If so, it is a good indicator of excessive lateral shift.

I'll keep that in mind when I next run. Perhaps part of the 'plodding' sensation I experience at slower paces is an index of laterally shifting. Also, the fact that my left foot's mets tend to ache a bit after the longer runs, and are aching more now after last week's runs, also bolsters your hypothesis that the root cause of my ITBS might be lateral shifting, since the mets are the first to absorb impact at foot strike. Perhaps I have been unconsciously attempting to soften the impact with lateral shifting. In any case, I'm debating whether to run tomorrow or take a whole week off, so it may be a while before I report back, but thanks for the food for thought.

I have noticed, however, that you do tend to recommend a change in technique for virtually every malady. Not sure if that is warranted, or if it's a case of you interpreting things according to your professional expertise--coaching, rather than medicine. I've noticed that the Sock Doc, a chiropractor, tends to interpret most injuries in terms of muscle imbalances. All good things to keep in mind of course--and I get that poor technique will tend to manifest itself as injury the more one does something--but I believe a reasonable first course of action would be simply to increase mileage more gradually, as just about anyone would recommend, given my recent running upsurge--going from 5 to 9.3 miles max run and 10-15 mpw to 20-25 mpw, in less than three weeks--and my age. If that doesn't do the trick, then seek alternative solutions.

So, back to 3-5 miles per run, 10-15 miles per week, at a faster 9mm pace, and if that goes well, add a mile per max run every 3-4 weeks, and only do one max run per week. That means the soonest I would be attempting another 10-mile run will be December, if I can manage to hold back and follow my own plan. If I find I still get ITBS during or after this more gradual build-up, I will either entertain other possibilities, starting with your recommendation, or simply resign myself to doing less mileage. You have to keep in mind that I've been very active--cycling, hiking, running, martial arts--for most of my adult life without any knee problems, and so presumably without any lateral shifting. True, I did have a little knee pain when I first began traveling by bicycle, but that cleared up after a couple of months. So I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar is happening now, albeit 20 years hence. Also, the knee feels like more of a strain than an ache or sharp pain, and only occurs during running--walking and stairs are no problem. This appears very much to be the (mild) symptoms of an overuse injury. Just got to give my body more time to adapt to the stimulus, most probably.

Lee,

In regards to overuse running injuries, yes the first place I recommend evaluating is technique. Then how much activity. Fix technique and you can essentially do as much of the activity as you like :)

speaking of walking... these gals "walk" a 5K about twice as fast as I can run!

And they do it while persnickety judges watch them closely to make sure that every single step is a walking step. The rule is that they must have constant contact with the ground. One running step ie both feet in the air at the same time, and they're DQ'd.

The 50k walk is arguably the hardest sport in the Olympics and, yeah, they're faster than most runners ... really bizarre to watch when you're not familiar with it, but it's a highly respected sport in a lot of countries.

Good point about hip and joint problems, too - the sport is pretty brutal.

I have noticed, however, that you do tend to recommend a change in technique for virtually every malady. Not sure if that is warranted, or if it's a case of you interpreting things according to your professional expertise--coaching, rather than medicine. I've noticed that the Sock Doc, a chiropractor, tends to interpret most injuries in terms of muscle imbalances. All good things to keep in mind of course--and I get that poor technique will tend to manifest itself as injury the more one does something--but I believe a reasonable first course of action would be simply to increase mileage more gradually, as just about anyone would recommend, given my recent running surge--going from 5 to 9.3 miles max run and 10-15 mpw to 20-25 mpw, in less than three weeks--and my age. If that doesn't do the trick, then seek alternative solutions.

This is why I tend to solve problems by recommending an increase in alcohol consumption. ;)

We all see the world through our won frame of reference. Not that it's a bad thing, but it is good to keep in mind when soliciting advice. Keeping Occam's Razor in mind is helpful.

And they do it while persnickety judges watch them closely to make sure that every single step is a walking step. The rule is that they must have constant contact with the ground. One running step ie both feet in the air at the same time, and they're DQ'd.

The 50k walk is arguably the hardest sport in the Olympics and, yeah, they're faster than most runners ... really bizarre to watch when you're not familiar with it, but it's a highly respected sport in a lot of countries.

Good point about hip and joint problems, too - the sport is pretty brutal.

Watching competitive walking is how I learned to walk faster in races. Back in the day, I used to be able to get down to about a 9:30 pace... but paled in comparison to their sub-6 paces.

By that logic, if I had perfect technique, I should be able to run as far as I like with no conditioning. Doesn't jibe with my experience.

Don't read to far into every comment. Conditioning is very important and is necessary for injury free running. Technique/skill of running is the most important aspect of running but it doesn't exist outside of our our physical condition.