Road Glove or Bare Access?

Haselsmasher

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I read all these posts of people struggling with which shoe to buy - and now I'm one of them.

I need something different than what I have (aqua socks which are OK-but-weird-looking and Kinvaras - which aren't minimalist). I don't have one iota of fashion sense, but I do have a "I don't want to look weird." streak.

Most of the minimalists, IMHO, fall into the weird-looking cateogry. From a function standpoint the Zems have probably grabbed me the most. They're not quite mainstream enough looking, though, for my taste. That in addition to the seam complaints are pushing me away from them.

So Merrell's Road Glove and Bare Access have made it to my brain. The Road Glove is more appealing from the standpoint the sole seems thinner than the BA. That sole, though, looks pretty narrow. I have quite wide feet. The BA appears to be better suited for wide feet, but the sole is thicker. On the Road Glove it *almost* looks like there is a bit of arch support.

So - does anyone have comments/opinions on the two? I'm heading to a local retailer tonight to check them out, but I'd also like real experiences from people.

Thanks.

Jim

I have no idea about the Bare

I have no idea about the Bare Access, but I tried on the Road Glove a week a go or so and it most definately has an arch despite what anyone may tell you. They say it's non supportive, made only to support the shoe itself, but it really is an arch support. Felt like standing with a rock under each arch. Also, if you have wide feet like I do the Merrells will not be good for you. They are very tight in the midfoot and I wish like hell that they would fix this. Even if they came out with wide and ultra wide versions I would be happier. I also feel very unstable in them, kind of like I am going to roll an ankle. I haven't rolled an ankle since switching to barefoot or minimalist.

When I heard about Merrell

When I heard about Merrell introducing new minimalist shoes, I immediately looked for views of their soles. Merrell still seems oblivious to the shape of the human foot. Their new shoes have the same problems that their previous ones do. They get narrow in places that the foot doesn't (the midfoot and the big toe area).

I recently bought a pair of Altra Adams. They definitely have the Merrells beat on foot shape. The semi-stretchy material that makes up parts of their upper is new to me and I haven't gotten a chance to try them in snow yet so, I don't know how quick-drying they're going to be. That's an issue with the Zems, BTW. Lycra (AKA spandex) takes a long time to dry so, is a bad choice for footwear in my opinion.

I have the Altra Adams too

I have the Altra Adams too Nyah and they are a much better fit for wide feet than the Merrells are. They have less protection, but in a minimalist shoe that's kind of the idea generally. I've walked in them on ice and snow and they were a bit slick to me, I almost fell and busted my butt several times. On dry or just rain soacked roads they are just fine. I have no experience with them on trails so I can't say about that either.

Nyah - not everyone has the

Nyah - not everyone has the same foot shape as you. The Merrells work fine for me - even though the sole outline of the Merrell sole doors not match the overall outline of my foot, the sole does match the part of MY sole that contacts the ground and the upper does fit MY foot

And this is why I'm glad to see a variety of offerings and don't condemn any over another (even when a particular shoe doesn't fit my particular, perhaps peculiar, foot)

Buzzie, I wonder if Nyah just

Buzzie, I wonder if Nyah just would like to see Merrell make one model that is not tight in the midfoot and big toe region. I am the same as Nyah and cannot wear their products, so you could come after me too for acknowledging my displeasure, which I have up above.

I bought a pair of Merrell

I bought a pair of Merrell Gloves about 3 months ago with GREAT reluctance.

LOVE THESE SHOES. I was born with an impressive pair of duck feet and yes, there is some arch support but I'm dealing with PF so they feel nice. The box is a good fit for me and they are very light weight. The laces have to be double tied (or maybe I need remedial tying instruction) but other than that they rock. Mine are lime green.

Just thought I'd point out

Just thought I'd point out that while not available on all models, the trail glove is now available in "wide" widths: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/26531M/0/Mens/Barefoot-Run-Trail-Glove-Wide-Width?dimensions=0

Just discovered this while looking at something else...

Road Glove's print:Access

Road Glove's print:

MRL-WsoleRoadglove-041411

Access Glove's print:

MRL-Rsolebareaccess-10211

Trail Glove's print:

MRL-Wsole35718-060110

Show me a barefoot print which is accommodated by the print shape that the Merrells make.

Barefoot Gentile wrote:NickW

Barefoot Gentile said:
NickW said:
Barefoot Gentile said:
The Merrell Road Glove is a major default of a "barefoot running shoe".

Not sure what you mean Gentile???

Narrow, raised heel, lose of ground feel, arch support, cushy. But I am sure it will sell like hot cakes, it's a runnning sneaker.

I completely agree Gentile. Its got all the stuff that as a barefoot runner I don't want.

I find it fascinating how many people I see on here talking about Merrells shoes and how great they are. I'm not condemning them at all so please nobody take this that way. It's interesting to me that they are so popular despite being so tight in the midfoot region along with all the things you mention. I think it has to do with one simple fact. They look more normal than most of the other minimalist shoes out there.

Barefoot Gentile wrote:I

Barefoot Gentile said:
I have no clue why they are so popular, but I agree about the look. I think they are the best looking minimal footwear out there.

I think part of why they are popular is that you can get them at REI. They only minimal shoes that you can buy locally here (as far as I know) are Vibrams and Merrells.

I think they are popular for

I think they are popular for a couple reasons.

First is the look (which has already been noted). Minshoes are either VFFs or look like a glorified sock (or worse; I have seen many minshoes that would be great if not so butt-ugly!), except for a few notable exceptions including the Merrell line, Vivos and Stems (just to yank a few names off the top of my head). You don't have to look like a weirdo to wear Merrells and I think a lot of people appreciate that.

Second is availability, like Janson said. We have a great running store here in Kalamazoo but for minimal options we are limited to VFFs, the pseudo-minshoe new balance and saucony offerings, altra instincts (not really what I would consider a minshoe, but not too far off) and the merrells. Otherwise you're ordering online and not being able to check the fit of a shoe before buying it. Plus, being the most minimal shoe available locally aside from VFFs, if you can't stand toe pockets (like me) the Merrells are your next best choice (again, without ordering online or having to drive 2 hours to Chicago or Ann Arbor).

I'm hoping to try out some road gloves soon just to see how they compare with my 1 year old trail gloves which I wear to work and haven't run in since march ;) doubt I'll actually buy any, as I am once again getting stingy with my footwear money. ;)

They've (Merrells) been in

They've (Merrells) been in the Dicks here by my house since the Trail Gloves came out. Oddly though they don't keep the Merrells with the running shoes. They have there own display table over by the hiking shoes/boots.

Thanks so much for the

Thanks so much for the various helpful comments. I need to find a local retailer that has them.

I think where I'm at is that, while they don't have a variety of characteristics that make them really strong minimalist shoes, assuming they're not way out of whack for my foot I'll likely get a pair. I'd rather have a sub-optimal pair that gives a reasonable amount of minimalist benefit but looks somewhat normal, than go with real minimalist that makes peoples' heads turn.

Thanks a lot.

Jim

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test