REVIEW OF CHABOCHI SANDALS JUNE GIVEAWAY PRIZE

Yann2104

Barefooters
Jan 6, 2014
I had the pleasure to read Paul Beales' email end of June, telling me I was the lucky winner of the June contest. The gift is a pair of Tarahumara “Chabochi” sandals.

I received them early in July. They come with 2 pairs of straps, one soft for the beginning and one harder. The sole is made of truck tire (you can still see the brand mark!), and there is a nice and sweet leather on top of it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The first run I made (on the same day I received them), was a 8km run in the woods of Louvain-La-Neuve (Belgium). I followed the strapping method from the recommended website. The issue I had is that the heel strap slipped, especially downhill. I also had a small blister on the second toe, due to the strap.

For the strapping method, I received advices from Gregorio, the Spanish dealer of the sandals. Actually, the strap needs to go under the heel strap before tying off.

3.jpg

4.jpg

I made a second run (7km) a few days later, and with the new strapping method, no more issue on the heel.

The feeling is nice, the sandals are quite heavy but you don’t feel it exaggeratedly once running. The sole is thick, so you don’t have any issue with rocks, trail paths, etc.

I made another attempt during my holidays in France. A 10km run, under the heat of Provence (~30°C). The feeling was good during the run, but again, I had blisters, at the crossing of the straps on the heel this time (and at both feet).

5.jpg

6.jpg

In conclusion, these are nice sandals, but my feet still need to get used of the leather straps. I will try again soon, for sure.

And anyway, for a runner who came to barefoot/minimalist run thanks to Chris McDougall’s “Born to Run” book, having the pleasure to run with real Tarahumara sandals is an honour!!

I will post my progress here in the coming months.

Yann2104