Return of Top of Foot Pain

My doc, like a good mechanic, wanted to fix the malfunctioning machine and prescribed a pill that would bring the pressure down.
Doctors work and are trained in a specific paradigm, where most patients struggle in their ability to intervene on their own behalf. Hence, most docs treat their patients like passive machines, which need fixing. Part of it's training, part of it is the culture of "fix me doc". Part of it is the healthcare insurance system with 15min visits. This isn't good, but it's reality.

Looking back, I can see that it wasn't very clear why I made my initial posts, which was to try to consolidate information from podiatrists about TOFP. I apologize.

What is also obvious, is the generosity and willingness of those on BRS to help others in need. (Thanks Nick, Mike, and Lee!)

It seems that we now have a quite bit of information about TOFP from Podiatry Arena and BRS wisdom (and my own woes due to improper sitting) all in the same thread (along wih a bit of discussion!), so hopefully this might be helpful for others in the future. Thanks, everyone!

i believe all drs are starting to agree that sitting is bad for you. bad thing is how much they make you sit in school to learn how to take care of people. with their machinist, systematic point of view.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Hobbit
Update: So it's been about 4 months since my initial post. The TOFP lingered for a while, but now is completely gone.

I think that alternating swimming and running every other day has helped. I also don't sit in that position anymore. I think that my improving my toe extension flexibility has helped, too.

This is a great thread, all!

I am glad you are doing well, Sid.

Reactions: Sid
sid,

after reading your post yesterday i did some cross fiber friction on the top of my feet. a lot of crepitus in there. i need to work on my extensors too. i have a lot better control over my left hallux than my right. my 2 & 3 mets aree kind of bound pretty close together and could have small neuromas in there. yesterday my MT, who works for Dr Mclanahan selling correct toes, posted a video on getting rid of neuromas by yourself. it's on youtube. sorry,, ipad doesn''t let me link easily. i can barely look at FB. let me tell you if you think FB is a big time waster you should use my ipad. i waste so much time just trying to look at FB, i can barely see anything on it.

i think the video will be under either Correct Toes or NW foot and ankle on youtube.

Reactions: Sid
Update. My TOFP has been much better. However now, it has been intermittent. Plantarflexing the foot offers some temporary relief. Though, I discovered that my other foot (without TOFP) had more ROM.

So, I started looking at the extensor hallucis longus and extensor digitorum longus, the muscles that Nick had mentioned which run lateral to the shin bone. Definitely, tighter and sore on the affected side.

About 45 minutes later, I got it loosened up. TOFP seemed to feel better. I don't recall those muscles being a problem when I first started this thread. Refently, I've been working on toe extension and splay. So, it's possible that this contributed to the extensor problems. Interesting...

Update. Now, that I think more about it, I've really been overemphasizing extend and and splay. I think that's the source of my recent problem.

It would seem that TOFP can be caused by bone or muscle related problems. Apparently, I was lucky enough to have both! :D

Reactions: Bare Lee
Update. Pain is gone. No further issues with the muscles, either. I do some Yoga stretching routines after each run.

I also came to the realization that I am right side dominant. Some of it may have been due to the bunion on my left toe, which is now a lot better. Although, my right forearm was also having problems during swimming.

I've been more mindful to try to keep both sides balanced.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11