Question on barefooting?

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
Does anyone go barefoot out in public besides running? I go barefoot all the time, I like to raise the awareness of the health benefits of going barefoot other than just bfr. It is slowly catching on at the park and other places, not just because of me, but from other people doing it too. Maybe one day it will be normal looking and I will not feel so much like a freak. I don't care what people think I like it because it's more comfortable and it's more relaxing than shoes! ;)

I go barefoot most of the

I go barefoot most of the time outside of the home and always inside the home. If I do wear footwear, it's normally flip-flops. Wish I could wear my VFFs more for those times when I have to wear something, but with the neuroma problem in my feet, it gets difficult after awhile.

I was running barefoot the other day, and this lady was walking near her little baby, just over a year old, who was also walking. The baby was barefoot; she was in flip-flops. I said, "Barefoot, nice." A comment I'm used to hearing a lot. She replied that she always has her children barefoot and that it is good for their feet and their growth. She said that when she does put them in shoes, it's always the soft moccasin-type shoes. I love being "educated" about healthy barefoot living by "the public."

Oh yeah all the

Oh yeah all the time.

Something interesting, I have been told I cannot go barefoot at Wal Mart, Fry's (Kroger) and an outdoor mall (go figure). I never go to or spend money at those places anymore. One store that has never said anything, but I fully expected them to is Home Depot?

Not sure if it will catch on though. I get a lot of comments. So my wife says, I'm hard of hearing so I miss it all.

According to Board, if I'm

According to Board, if I'm not mistaken, Walmart and Kroger, have a barefoot is okay policy.

Wal Mart has no problem with

Wal Mart has no problem with me being barefoot, Krogers ran me out of the store like I was a criminal or something? However some of there employees wear Vibram kSO's. I always go to Wal Mart for groceries and all, Food City ran me off too. The mexican resteraunt doesn't mind bare feet, they are actually quiet fond of me because I go barefoot lol? The grocery stores are the main ones I have a problem at. They even got those untrue posts up about no barefeet by order of health dept, which is not even the case, it has recently been taken down I called City Hall and asked why they were allowed to post lies about barefeet at there front door? I never heard back from city hall but the sign vanished?

Yeah their policy is it is up

Yeah their policy is it is up to the store manager at Wal Mart. I actually gave the manager hell about it at Fry's and he finally relented, but the ridiculous door people give me crap every time. So I don't go to either anymore.

I have never seen a no shoes no service sign in AZ or CO? I saw them all the time when I lived in IL though. I do wear flips to most restaurants and bars. More for the other customers sake than anything. Not sure why I feel that way?

Safeway, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Costco, Home Depot, Target and any thrift store are usually cool with it in AZ and CO, well in my experience. And that is the extent of my shopping.

I went barefoot at school for

I went barefoot at school for a couple days, but of course it happens to be against the dress code. So now I'm wearing my huaraches, which have actually gotten me more crap about "Jesus sandles", "hippie sandals", "handmade shoes", and I will admit they look a little bit crappy, I'm not the best sandle maker. Even if people are going to give me crap for it, my dislike of normal shoes is still obvious, so I'll stick with it. Although I enjoy barefooting much more, I'll generally wear my flip-flops or huaraches whenever I go out, just to avoid getting kicked out of a store or resteraunt.

Don't worry your on the

Don't worry your on the forefront of this trend. I wore my vff's to work once a year ago and I got so much crap. Now everyone wants them. Who knows maybe hurraches will come in style... or maybe not.

Danjo wrote:I went barefoot

Danjo said:
I went barefoot at school for a couple days, but of course it happens to be against the dress code. So now I'm wearing my huaraches, which have actually gotten me more crap about "Jesus sandles", "hippie sandals", "handmade shoes", and I will admit they look a little bit crappy, I'm not the best sandle maker. Even if people are going to give me crap for it, my dislike of normal shoes is still obvious, so I'll stick with it. Although I enjoy barefooting much more, I'll generally wear my flip-flops or huaraches whenever I go out, just to avoid getting kicked out of a store or resteraunt.

I basically do the same as far as wearing flip flops in places I know will give me trouble. By experimenting I have found which places will let me in and which ones will kick me to the curb. It's nice getting to go bare in the ones that allow it. I bet the Hurraches will catch on, anything new to people usually does after some time to get them use to it. Hang in there!

I have only had problems at

I have only had problems at Giant (large regional grocery store) and at the Harrisburg International Airport...had a problem once at Hoss's (A local steak house)....the manager sent out the kitchen guy because she was "scared" to talk to me....after talking with him though, I did not put any shoes on, he just said "Be careful, ok?" LOL....

Maybe he was afraid you're

Maybe he was afraid you're were going to whip his azz too, 'Cuz.

LOL...funny, I don't really

LOL...funny, I don't really think I'm all that threatening ;-)

Looks are deceiving then?

Looks are deceiving then?

Wal-mart has never given me a

Wal-mart has never given me a problem...but then again, there are a lot of mullets in there :)

Kroger in Michigan & King Sooper in Colorado have been awfully gracious (or they don't notice)...the only place I ever got a talking to was at a mall, but malls are the BEST for barefoot walks! The floors are so smoooooooooth!!!

One thing I notice is there are a lot of "No shoes, no shirt, no service" signs at local yokel gas stations. But then again, who wants to be barefoot around gasoline? ...although, I stepped in some gas barefoot once. Didn't kill me but yeah, gross!

Nate, I get "Be careful" a

Nate, I get "Be careful" a lot too. Especially when I was still running Cross-Country and when I ran them the other day. My coach tries to make it seem like he's adressing the whole group, but I know he just means he doesn't want me cutting my foot on something.

barefoot kean wrote:i go

barefoot kean said:
i go barefoot around campus all the time. I wouldn't have ever guessed how many college students would give me crap about it.

People who give remarks (negative) are just those who are not educated on it and don't understand it, so it's crazy to them. I always try to educate open minded people on the benefits of barefooting in general every chance I get. When I was a teenager people in my community went barefoot alot. It was almost a 50/50 barefoot verses shod. It was not an unusual occurence at all! But, when businesses starting putting up no shoes no service signs, the barefooting people went shod and the age of barefooting died. People are too brain washed by the media and what the media wants. I have a problem with the media dictating society.

I remember long ago the local news repeatedly broadcasted that barefooting could cause alot of health issues, it was lies, they only wanted the hippies that were not eye appealing to their customers out of the stores barefoot. That is what the whole thing was over, they didn't like the grunge hippies infiltrating their businesses, so the media brain washed the public! The sad part is people bought into a bunch of lies and let the media tell them what to do, and if you watch national news it happens everyday, their always telling people what they should do and people listen. I realize that media does have good points about alot of stuff, but other things are just media bias to change public opinions. It was really evident with elections. But anyway, enough of me ranting lol.