Protein /energy bars early in the morning.

The purpose of the carb backloading for me especially before my ultras is to increase glucose stores pre race. I think that artjcle above makes mention of something like that.

Thanks Sid.

I don't know what to believe anymore!

Bottom line: eat what I want, when I want it!
As long as it's a healthy choice:hungry:and don't argue about it:singing:

Reactions: Bare Lee
As long as it's a healthy choice:hungry:and don't argue about it:singing:
Well, there's no universally agreed upon definition of "healthy choice," especially now with all the Paleo talk, who've joined the fray with the vegans, and all the rest.

Basically for me, healthy means whole/unprocessed, but I am enjoying my highly processed protein bars and use protein powder in my smoothies.

Anyway, thanks mostly to Sid's links, along with a desire to run pretty much every morning, I've decided to keep my st workouts in the afternoon, when I have 3-4 meals in my system (breakfast, brunch, lunch, and an optional linner (the aforementioned smoothie, which gives me a quick infusion of carbs and protein right before an afternoon lifting session). For longer morning runs, I've been having a banana and a protein bar, and that seems to work pretty well, but for morning runs of an hour or less, I just go out fasted. I still don't bring any water with me, but make sure that I'm fully hydrated before heading out.

On my 14-miler Saturday, I felt a little hunger around mile 9 or 10, but it quickly passed, no bonk, so I think my mild hypoglycemia episode has been taken care of. Dama Beija-flor will be glad to hear I ate rice and beans along with my sea bass the night before. That really set me up well.

I would still like to lose 10-20 pounds, but lifting and running are going so well for me these days that I'm not willing to mess with my diet too much. I'll just keep to what I've been doing, and if the weight comes off, fine, if not, well, it's probably hiding some wrinkles, so there's that.

Reactions: NickW and zapmamak
Basically for me, healthy means whole/unprocessed, but I am enjoying my highly processed protein bars and use protein powder in my smoothies.

Dama Beija-flor will be glad to hear I ate rice and beans along with my sea bass the night before. That really set me up well.

I would still like to lose 10-20 pounds, but lifting and running are going so well for me these days that I'm not willing to mess with my diet too much. I'll just keep to what I've been doing, and if the weight comes off, fine, if not, well, it's probably hiding some wrinkles, so there's that.[/quote]
That's what am I talking about and then there's that. :yuck:
That's how you do it:hungry:
Don't worry about the weight it's ALL muscle
Nice run on Sat BTW.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Nice run on Sat BTW.
Thanks, ever since you and Dutchie talked me into signing up for the half, it's been on my mind. I'm glad I was finally able to run that distance continuously, but I did get tired towards the end, so the new goal is to run that distance comfortably. The same way a 6-8 miler feels right now. After that, I'd like to try one or two 17-milers before winter hits, and then I have a cool 20-mile run planned that will take me from my house way out to Stillwater, on the St. Croix River. I'd like to have my family meet me out there afterwards for lunch or something. That'll probably be next year, late spring or summer. Meanwhile, there's always pace to work on.

Thanks, ever since you and Dutchie talked me into signing up for the half, it's been on my mind. I'm glad I was finally able to run that distance continuously, but I did get tired towards the end, so the new goal is to run that distance comfortably. The same way a 6-8 miler feels right now. After that, I'd like to try one or two 17-milers before winter hits, and then I have a cool 20-mile run planned that will take me from my house way out to Stillwater, on the St. Croix River. I'd like to have my family meet me out there afterwards for lunch or something. That'll probably be next year, late spring or summer. Meanwhile, there's always pace to work on.

Running long is very addictive and enjoyable isn't.
What helped my when increasing distance was to run the same distance three to four times so my body will adapt to the new long run and increase the distance again, rinse and repeat.
Have fun with it.

Running long is very addictive and enjoyable isn't.
What helped my when increasing distance was to run the same distance three to four times so my body will adapt to the new long run and increase the distance again, rinse and repeat.
Have fun with it.
Yah, that's generally been my approach, take a step up, stay there, then take another step when it starts to get easier. Works for weights too. Over the last few weeks I've kind of violated my protocol and have jumped up more quickly than I probably should've, but I kind of had to find out if I was ready to run the HM distance. I felt it, and I was tired of being hyper-cautious. Now I plan to mostly stay there, one long run per week, and it's a good distance time-wise, at around two hours or two and a half. Then once in a while go on an even longer run, which will feel like a bit of a struggle just like the HM distance does right now. I think it's good mentally to have to run tired once in a while, but I don't think I'll want to do it once or twice a week like I have been doing.

The best thing about running long is the different sense of time, distance, and geography it gives you. Six miles into a 14-mile run feels so different than six miles at the end of a six-mile run. And I love how I can now visualize parts of my city from a running perspective. Just like it was a revelation to me when I began traveling by bicycle and could really soak up the landscapes and get the full range of sense stimulation. With motorized transport, everything buzzes by too quickly, becomes a blur.

Being a protein bar junkie, I had at least one or two Quest bars a day for about 6 months while losing weight. I bought them in bulk, direct from the company at a discount. Nope, not an energy bar. Completely bonked during a strength workout, then read the label. Then realized that it was good for low carb weight loss, and used them as such.

Where'd Bare Lee go anyway? He hasn't responded to the thread at all. For AM strength workouts, I've tried protein bars, fruit juice, bagels, and maltodextrin. They were ok, but my weird schedule now bumps weight training to hours after cardio, which means my post-cardio bagel and protein powder gives my body a bit of time to refuel.
Bought some Quest bars yesterday. Definitely better than the Pure Protein bars I had been eating. But twice as much . . . probably worth it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts