Protein /energy bars early in the morning.

What was your goal, again? Energy for AM strength workouts?
That bodybuilding link that I posted shows that they consume 3 things:
Easily digestable carbs and caffeine for energy.
Protein to aid recovery.

Quest bars are low carb, so scratch those.
Pure protein bars are okay. Not the highest quality ingredients, nor the cleanest food without additives, but they're okay.

As an approximate to the bar, I would personally have half a bagel and wash it down with some protein powder. The bagel is quickly digested into sugar and burned off during the workout. Personally, I think caffeine is for weenies. People need to sleep more.
I don't think pure carbo will do it for me first thing in the morning. I need some kind of protein to slow the burn of blood sugar. After college I passed through a couple of years of mild hypoglycemia. My family doc told me to eat nuts or something else with protein at every meal to slow down the dispersal of sugars into my blood stream. That's pretty much worked ever since then, although sometimes when I was traveling I ate very little protein and still did OK. I got a hypoglycemic reaction for the first time in a long while last week, while running 12 miles before I had replenished my energy reserves, after having a stomach virus for a few days. My wife suggested candy or something high-carbo, but that would just set my system off and cause a visible tremor as the sugars rushed into my blood stream. Instead I ate too hefty hamburgers. An hour later I felt close to normal again.

So, for the early morning carbo element, I think I prefer a good old fashion banana over a bagel or something more processed like that.

What I was really looking for is the protein element, I now realize, when I first posted this thread/inquiry. My stomach doesn't like exercising right after eating something like a hard-boiled egg, so I probably need some processed crap like a protein bar that I can easily digest. I normally eat mixed nuts and dried fruit for breakfast, but nuts are also something that takes a little time to assimilate.

Do you think the Quest bars have higher quality ingredients than the Pure Protein bars?

The most important thing still is just to eat a lot the night before, but I've gotten into a habit of just eating animal flesh and veggies at night, with very little carb. Helps keep the belly at bay. During the day I eat lots of fruits and veggies. So I get almost no grain-type carbo in my diet any more, besides IPAs of course.

The Bodybuilding forum was trippy by the way. A different kind of animal roams those grounds, that's for sure.

Caffeine does help with the early morning workouts. I've tried it a few times, but it's completely unnecessary I agree.

I've been making a smoothie with a scoop of vanilla protein powder, frozen mango, frozen strawberry and almond milk. Its a pretty hefty breakfast and easy enough on the stomach. Or you can use coffee instead of milk. Not as tasty but effective. I do get hungry a couple of hours later though and then usually eat a bowl of oatmeal or my lunch.

I got a Oster smoothie operator in my office now.
31AI7hCJinL._SY450_.jpg

Now that I've doubled my weekly mileage I get hungrier, and it's a good snack, and I make it with frozen fruit, protein powder (I bought the NutraBio Brand Sid recommended) and almond milk, just like you. I could get a separate machine for the garage gym I suppose. I've thought about it, but anytime I spend money my wife feels compelled to spend some too.

Reactions: Sid
Yah, unfortunately the kitchen is close to bedroom. Whereas the attached garage is pretty insulated. I wake up 2-4 hours before the rest of the family. It's a mid-20th-century house, very open, and the architect had more aesthetics than functionality in mind when he designed it.

Same here I just fill it up in the kitchen and carry it into the garage to blend. Then I drink it while I'm working out or just before.

I hate bars so I'll do anything to get around eating them.

Reactions: Bare Lee
My stomach doesn't like exercising right after eating something like a hard-boiled egg, so I probably need some processed crap like a protein bar that I can easily digest.
Hmm, I don't know. This is what Google shows on eggs and digestion.
I think we're all different. I can do carbs or carbs+protein, but only protein before an AM workout, doesn't sit well with me.

Hmm, I don't know. This is what Google shows on eggs and digestion.
I think we're all different. I can do carbs or carbs+protein, but only protein before an AM workout, doesn't sit well with me.
Um, that was about babies Sid. What are you saying?

A fried or scrambled egg would probably work, and be cheaper than a protein bar, but I don't want to spend the time cooking. I want to wake up, take a dump, have quick snack, and then get down to business. A hard boiled egg could be prepared the night before, but it would probably have me farting up a small cloud within 20 minutes of eating it if I went straight to my workout.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal. Usually for runs up to two hours I can run OK on an empty stomach. On yesterday's run I popped a protein bar just in case, because of my hypoglycemic episode last week. For the ST, I can probably get by without it too, and anyway, I still prefer to do the st at the end of the afternoon. Actually my preference would be mid-morning, but that's not practicable for me. It has to be first thing in the morning or just before going to pick up the kids. So I'll probably continue doing the protein bars and a banana before early long(er) runs, and whenever I can motivate to do an st workout first thing in the morning as well. Or make smoothies at night and store them in the fridge.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Reactions: Sid
I've thought about it, but anytime I spend money my wife feels compelled to spend some too.
As she should and you CAN'T say anything ha!

Here's the adult version
I doubt those young, unfertilized eggs are willing participants.

You continue to amaze me with your well-readedness on these issues. I may give the egg thing a try next early morning st. I don't think I'll risk it before a run though until I see how it goes with the st.

Hey, while we're on the topic of nutrition, what's your take on flax seeds? I tried putting them into my smoothies, but they don't get ground up as much as they probably should. Might be better off with straight mastication.

Yah, one extra smoothie operator for me will certainly justify her buying a 100th pair of shoes.
I hate it when you women support each other.
Haven't you heard the phrase "Girl power!!!" That's us!! and we are surely dangerous when we group up:nailbiting:

Hey, while we're on the topic of nutrition, what's your take on flax seeds? I tried putting them into my smoothies, but they don't get ground up as much as they probably should. Might be better off with straight mastication.

The best is to grind them in a cheap coffee grinder and then add them. They are a natural thickener ground an dmixed with liquid, so your smoothies will get dense and bubbly if you add them and let it sit for a while. I prefer them on oatmeal than in a smoothie, but they are good in either.

I never got into flax seed.
www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Why-not-flaxseed-oil.shtml
www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/science/27qna.html

I started taking a fish oil supplement, when I got tired after a few months of eating a lot of wild salmon. However, most supplements give me fish burps. I finally dropped some coin on these. Pricey, but they claim to be pharmaceutical grade, and no fish burps (for me).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002CQU564/

50 cents a day is still cheaper than a salmon steak a day.

I usually eat mixed nuts & dried fruit with OJ for breakfast, but the nuts take a while to digest. I tried protein powder, which I use for recovery, as Sid has suggested, but it doesn't seem to deliver enough energy right away.

Thanks.

Yo. Dude. I'm wondering if maybe the glycemic index on your breakfast is pretty high which might be causing some of your bonking issues. Not sure how it would work for your relatively short workout, but I know that getting the branched chain amino acids (only found in foods like eggs whites and protein powder) helps endurance athletes go longer and get deeper into their fitness before bonking. I've been experimenting with low glycemic applesause (no sugar added) with a couple tablespoons of protein powder mixed in (or I'll mix the protein powder into my coffee) before my ultras. I also used the applesauce trick during my 100 miler to get my fats/protein in a easy digestible and fast form. I'm thinking maybe the OJ along with the dried fruits (which are also high glycemic index) could be too fast of a burn for lifting. Maybe finding a lower glycemic food with a little added protein would help. Just a thought...

Yo. Dude. I'm wondering if maybe the glycemic index on your breakfast is pretty high which might be causing some of your bonking issues. Not sure how it would work for your relatively short workout, but I know that getting the branched chain amino acids (only found in foods like eggs whites and protein powder) helps endurance athletes go longer and get deeper into their fitness before bonking. I've been experimenting with low glycemic applesause (no sugar added) with a couple tablespoons of protein powder mixed in (or I'll mix the protein powder into my coffee) before my ultras. I also used the applesauce trick during my 100 miler to get my fats/protein in a easy digestible and fast form. I'm thinking maybe the OJ along with the dried fruits (which are also high glycemic index) could be too fast of a burn for lifting. Maybe finding a lower glycemic food with a little added protein would help. Just a thought...
I think that's exactly right. However, I have the nuts and dried fruit and OJ after my workouts. In this thread I was looking for pre-workout nutrition ideas. But since posting this thread, I've developed a little hypoglycemia post-workout, so your suggestions are very relevant.

In my latest breakfast mix the dried fruit to nuts ratio is higher than usual. Didn't do a very good job of judging the weights at the grocery store bins. The dried fruits are just to add flavor, but in my current mix they're almost 30-40 percent of it. I think I need more protein in the morning, and more carbs at night. I eat a normal dinner with my family, but I usually pass on the potatoes or rice and just eat the animal flesh and veggies. But I recently jumped up from 20-25 mpw to 30-35 mpw, and I seem to be burning a lot more calories (I'd like to lose a little more weight, but through exercise, not dieting). More carbs at night will set me up better for the following day, and more protein in the morning should help disperse the blood sugars more slowly and evenly throughout the day. A family doc told me this very thing when I first experienced some hypoglycemia after college. But then it kind of went away on its own, so I haven't paid that much attention to these things for a long while. Thanks for your input. I didn't have any OJ this morning because I ran out, but I should probably eliminate that first thing in the morning, or at least have less.

Reactions: zapmamak
I think that's exactly right. However, I have the nuts and dried fruit and OJ after my workouts. In this thread I was looking for pre-workout nutrition ideas. But since posting this thread, I've developed a little hypoglycemia post-workout, so your suggestions are very relevant.

In my latest breakfast mix the dried fruit to nuts ratio is higher than usual. Didn't do a very good job of judging the weights at the grocery store bins. The dried fruits are just to add flavor, but in my current mix they're almost 30-40 percent of it. I think I need more protein in the morning, and more carbs at night. I eat a normal dinner with my family, but I usually pass on the potatoes or rice and just eat the animal flesh and veggies. But I recently jumped up from 20-25 mpw to 30-35 mpw, and I seem to be burning a lot more calories (I'd like to lose a little more weight, but through exercise, not dieting). More carbs at night will set me up better for the following day, and more protein in the morning should help disperse the blood sugars more slowly and evenly throughout the day. A family doc told me this very thing when I first experienced some hypoglycemia after college. But then it kind of went away on its own, so I haven't paid that much attention to these things for a long while. Thanks for your input. I didn't have any OJ this morning because I ran out, but I should probably eliminate that first thing in the morning, or at least have less.
Interesting. We do something called carb backloading at my gym. I try and do this before my races where we eat all our carbs during the evening, which is usually post workout for me, and stick to our low carb healthy diet during the day.

Interesting. We do something called carb backloading at my gym. I try and do this before my races where we eat all our carbs during the evening, which is usually post workout for me, and stick to our low carb healthy diet during the day.
That's exactly what I do when running a Marathon the diference is that I do carbs throughout the day also and not only at evenings.

Yah, I read somewhere that one's body is most efficient at turning carbs into fat at night, when the body's at rest. That's why for weight loss eating carbs less than 4-6 hours before bedtime is a big no-no, but for active people burning a lot of calories, it's good practice. I've been concerned with weight loss, but now with the higher mileage, I think the weight loss will take care of itself, and I need to make sure I'm getting enough calories to maintain my routine.