Protecting yourself...how?

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
My inlaws especially, are always worried about me getting attacked, raped, mugged (as if they'd want anything I had on my while barefoot running) etc. There have been a few asaults with female runners over the last few mos. I am always alert to my surrounding, usually run in broad daylight, run on more trafficked areas, so now I'm thinking what could I do more to protect myself?
Carry a shotgun on my back? LOL a billy club dangling from a water belt? :p

For now, sounds silly, but I always have a chopstick stuck through my hair...not super weapon worthy but it could do some damage if need be. no? How do you protect yourself out on your runs? Do you worry about it?

I don't worry about it. But

I don't worry about it. But my town is in an odd little super-religious bubble, so violent crime is quite low. In larger areas, I'd probably do more to look for running partners. (pepper spray would also be on my to-buy list; I grew up in a rough-ish neighborhood, and used to carry it all the time, on a keychain)

I like running in the dark,

I like running in the dark, barefoot. I don't worry about it. I should though, I know. I'm going to get pepper spray when I get back to running. It's small, portable, light-weight, and very effective.

A few tips I've heard that

A few tips I've heard that make sense to me:

1) Don't run with music. You won't hear someone coming, and you lose situational awareness. I think it also makes you an easy mark.

2) Don't run the same route at the same time every day.

3) Never approach a vehicle while by yourself. You hear about vehicles associated with abductions - a person was dragged into a "white chevy corsica" or something, and you wonder how it happens. Once, I was walking with a friend when someone tried to drag her into a van (We got away). It's easy, and will happen before the neighbors notice.

I want pepper spray for the dogs, but it's illegal in Massachusetts.

Good thread. A couple of

Good thread. A couple of things I tell my daughters is to keep a cool head and remember to use what they have. Feet, nails, teeth and especially lungs. Do not yell help or rape etc. If someone is bugging or what have you, yell FIRE. That tends to make people look. Like someone else said, I run during the day and alternate my routes.

I keep thinking about pepper spray myself. Used to have a keychain might have to get another. So far I haven't worried about it much other than to just be aware because I live in a small town where stuff like that just doesn't really happen. However, I will be moving next month to a larger city so it is something I have started to think about more.

from a guy's perspective this

from a guy's perspective this never crosses my mind. it's surprising, even though it shouldnt be, that this is such a concern for you ladies. perspective is everything in life i guess but wow. just remember to work the groin area if all else fails. it lasts longer than a swipe at the face. a scratch to the face will frustrate an attacker but may not stop them or even slow them down. a shot to the crotch will pretty much always work if you connect. dont shoot for the spot right in between the legs at the front but try getting your shin all the way underneath and all the way through where your foot would come out the back side. the nerve bundles in that area will almost certainly drop a man for long enough for you to get to safety.

studies have also shown that if you are running you are less of a target than a walker because you are more difficult to get to from a car trying to scoop someone up. the prime targets are slow walkers and someone standing still.

JimmyHart - it isn't just

JimmyHart - it isn't just perception or unreasonable fear. Start asking women you know how many of them have had an incident with a man they didn't know. For me, there was the incident I said above about the van. When I was 12, an older man followed me into the stacks at the public library and groped me.

And a near miss... I used to run in Inwood Hill Park, and several times a month, I ran past this guy. I moved away a few months before they think he murdered a runner that looked upsettingly like me. Anyhow, I recognize him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/07/nyregion/07inwood.html

So that's 2 1/2 incidents for me.

I have pepper spray, although

I have pepper spray, although I don't usually carry it. I've been knows to carry a gold club (on my mother-in-law's orders), but mostly I run with my dog. Granted, "Poodle" doesn't stike fear in most hearts, but she is 45 pounds and very protective (just ask hubby what happens when he tries to tickle me, LOL.)

viciousnostick.jpg

Wow Silly, that is 2 1/2 too

Wow Silly, that is 2 1/2 too many incidents!

Thanks for the tips everyone, have to admit that occasionally I'll find myself feeling a little more vulnerable barefoot because I may not be able to dash off and run as fast on any given surface if need be. Though I guess endorphins would get me through that stuff.

One of the best things you

One of the best things you can do, besides just being VERY aware of your surroundings, is to carry a small HIGH LUMENS LED tactical flashlight...you can get a fairly good one at Lowe's for under 30 dollars. If you have it on you and find yourself in a dicey situation, it will work better than pepper spray and have less possible detriment to you.....shine it directly into their eyes (with high lumens, this is just as effective in the day time). If they can't see you, you have many options, including running....but what is also nice about them, is that some of them have a bit of serration on the light-edged side, and it's great for slamming it into their eye. Gaurantee that they will not be following you or harming you at that point. When I do women's self defense classes, this is the one piece of equipment I urge them to get. If there is a slight wind in your direction, pepper spray can get in your eyes too.....but shining this bright of a light directly into someone's face is not only painful, but gives you plenty of time to either escape or attack.

This is a great one (note the serration on the edges) but pricey...http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tactical+flashlight&cid=10986832130656497150&ei=PjUBTMTpL6K22ATsncXJCQ&sa=title&ved=0CCkQ8wIwBzgA#p

you can get away easily with something much less expensive...they fit into the palm of your hand, and obviously have more uses than just self-defense.

Incidentally, a groin shot

Incidentally, a groin shot is not the first place we tell people to attack, because it isn't always effective, depending on the guy, it's not immediately debilitating, and many guys can take it.....if you do go for the groin, the goal is to break the pelvic bone, not hit the junk....so even if he can withstand pain, if the pelvic bone is broken, he won't be able to walk....first line of attack is the EYES....gouge those babies...not "scratch them" but thrust your fingers as hard as you can into them.

Thanks Nate, great piece of

Thanks Nate, great piece of advice. How would you recommend carrying it other than in hand? Is there a case that could be put on a belt?

Yes, often they come with

Yes, often they come with cases (which, if you are me, I run in board shorts, so I have no "belt"....) but they also come with straps that you can just hang around your neck...just be careful not to hang yourself on it :)....if you have pockets, it's great in them...or for those of you who run with water-bottles, they are very light, so fixing the case onto your water bottle with a strap of velcro is also an option. I probably wouldn't put it in a "fanny" pack, if people still use them, too difficult to get at, but those little outside pockets on camel backs would work. The thing is though, if you can't get at it quickly (like mace) it's not going to do you any good...but unlike mace, you could easily run with one in your fist and not be worried that it'll go "off", they are no bigger than your palm if it's closed like a light fist...then it's right there if you need it. Hell, you could get two, one for each hand and treat them like a double edged light-saber against the Dark Side :-D. Now, come to think of it....it might fit nicely in the crease of your sports bra :)....but I don't know if it would cause chaffing ;-)...try it out, let me know!!

I don't actually run with anything, but I'm not a woman, and I have other skills to use....that being said, when I'm actually "dressed" one is always in my front pocket. And I've had many uses for it, just handy to have, besides self-defense ;-)

Last time I fired one of

Last time I fired one of those, I nearly went flying on my hiney! Fun!

I just had an awesome vision

I just had an awesome vision of barefoot runners everywhere running with double shoulder holsters, packing heat under each arm....and that brings me to visions of Lara Croft....I bet she would be hotter without the boots.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts