Processed Foods

And I do 'process' my own foods, but minimally so, and from better ingredients. For example for lunches at work instead of always getting sandwiches in the cafeteria or the crappy liquid sodium stuff they call soup, I made a few batches of soup & chili that I canned. But I use all whole good ingredients, and simmering and then pressure canning is the only processing. Most of the veggies are my own, organic and non gmo when possible. My own deer of course, which was never handled by another sole except me from field to table, and I even made my own stock this year (didnt even use any salt) from the bones. It was a lot of work for an entire weekend, but 40 some pint jars and a couple dozen freezer containers full of soup make an easy meal once or twice a week at work for half a year or more and all I have to do is pop the top and dump into bowl and shove into microwave. And its probably the most homemade thing you can get!

Wow - good for you on that. I've toyed with doing some preserving, but canning is a-whole-nother thing. I do try to make batches of food (the least amount will give me one days leftovers; the most up to four days) and freeze them - helps when I come home and I'm tired and all I need to do is nuke something pre-made instead of going after the junk....

Of course, some days are better than others. I had a really good day today, but when I got home, my housemate bought a pallet of oatmeal/raisin cookies from the Safeway Bakery. I initially was able to stay away - I had a good dinner (leftover veg stirfry w/tofu) and even had a bunch of dates for dessert, which were plenty sweet, but...they weren't cookies. So, I had six. Oiy. Well, at least I ran tonight so it limited some of the damage done. I'll probably make my own baked stuff tomorrow night (either black bean brownies, or vegan chocolate chip cookies, which are not nearly as bad as they sound).