price of minimalist footwear rising fast

pattymlt

Barefooters
Jun 26, 2010
Part of the reason I started barefoot running in the first place was because I hated how the price of shoes was so high, and I loved the idea of freeing myself from paying for all of that useless engineering. Returning to barefoot running seemed like a way to 'come back home'.

I'm disappointed in how the shoe companies are trying to cash in on our enthusiasm. Sometimes I need a minimalist shoe, and even these are just as expensive as the engineered shock absorbing shoes are!

Yeah, I'm gonna drop some bucks for the new Merrells (because I need something for winter), but I'm not too happy about it.

Patty I am fighting the

Patty

I am fighting the $150 minimal shoes with dirt cheap alternatives. The new shoes entering the market are great news for the health of the foot.

For me it is hard to beat the $10 water shoe or the thin leather moccasin for road feel, flexibility and toe wriggle room. The moccasins are my latest addition. They come with an insole which I removed through a small cut near the heel.
walmartrunningshoes.jpg

Hi there,I picked up some of

Hi there,

I picked up some of those water shoes (rock fishing shoes) about a year ago for $7.50, now that is a far better price for a minimalist shoe.

I do agree though that the price of these new minimalist shoes are as badly priced as the ones they are trying to edge out.

I bought a pair of Vibrams about 14 months ago but would not buy another pair just out of principal.

If I wasn't prepared to pay $150 for my old Asics why should I pay more for a minimalist shoe. Luckily I can get through the year without it getting to below freezing so I can be barefoot for the entire year.

Neil

I would agree - for brand

I would agree - for brand names. I can't see myself ever buying VFFs again, or New Balance minimus, or Merrell trail gloves, or even Zems for that matter. You just have to find what works for you. I have $10 water shoes and $80-some suede soft stars. I like that my shoes can be used for bumming around now too! I couldn't go anywhere with my old trainers for fear I would wear them down. There's nothing quite like not replacing them at 200 - 500 miles anymore.

My next purchase will be a luna kit for $40+ ... I'm looking forward to bumming around in those too!

Totally agree. I'll be

Totally agree. I'll be aquiring a pair of trail shoes from some rip off vendor but I need some traction as bare feet and huaraches slip in the wet clay.

I am fairly happy with my home made huaraches. 4 pair just over $40 with materials beats $120 for 1 pair Name Brand something.

seriously!  why does less

seriously! why does less shoe cost more?

i suppose it's basic capitalism. "it's the price the market will bear"... meaning there are lots of people out there who are willing to pay >$100 for the privilege of being "barefoot".

i'm not one of them, however. i like barefoot running to actually be free. Though my feet only come in two unfashionable colors.. regular and muddy. :)

After running in both options

After running in both options ($6 shoes and $$ VFF's) I am all for better space age fabric minimalist shoes. I really appreciate having better quality materials that wick and dump water. So far, my cheapo shoes have had the best fit/least blisterage/most ventilation, but they just don't last.

I am still on the "I don't

I am still on the "I don't get what the big deal is" boat. I have a pair of VFF Sprints that I got over four years ago and have put well over 1,000 miles on them. They cost me $85 so if I do a break down on that I paid $21.25 a year for them during those four years and I believe this summer that drops to $17. That's getting into water shoe price range and like Schwab said about hers, my water shoes haven't ever held up that well and for me they haven't been as comfortable.

In my mind these minimal shoes are more durable than conventional shoes because they don't have materials that break down and change the way the shoe performs. That means they are typically lasting longer so the price is then well justified: in my book.

I agree with Jimmy.    For

I agree with Jimmy.

For next winter I will be buying the Merrells as well. I think they will be totally worth the money, I constantly read people experimenting and struggling all winter long to find that "perfect" minimal footwear. That to me sounds costly and frustrating. Paying the money for Merrells you are going to get a quality shoe with quality material. Im only in footwear for about 2 1/2 months of winter, so if you break it down the Merrells will last me for many winters.

When I first started this barefoot/minimal journey I used to complain as well, but I have become more educated and less ignorant to the price of minimal footwear, there is a reasoning behind it.

Well, I caved last night when

Well, I caved last night when I saw the new Merrells. They are a nice shoe. I hope I like them because they feel kinda strange on the feet but then so did VFF's and I like my KSO's big time.

The sole material is Vibram, they have great tread for trail, that is why I wanted them and the only downside I can see is the inside is just like the VFF so they are going to stink, there is no doubt about it. I think LPJ already addressed the stank.

I bought them a little big since the 12 was tight side to side and the 13 felt a little big in the toe length. 12.5 would have been nice but nobody makes a 12.5 and they haven't figured out yet that barefoot runners feet get wider, D width just isn't going to always work anymore. I wish we would just convert to the Metric system here in america and take the few months hit on the learning curve. Being able to buy 45-46-47 is a much more refined system.

Well, Maybe I'll get in a trail run today ;)

Jimmy,It's not a big deal,

Jimmy,

It's not a big deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning, since not everyone has the means to spend that kind of money every few months. Since I'm just starting this barefoot/minimalist thing, as with any new endeavor, an initial investment needs to happen. What you are saying is that once I figure out what shoes I need to have to effectively run this new way, they should last me a while. You do have a point in that these shoes can be worn for years, which effectively brings down the price.

I ordered some Merrell Pace Gloves and should be getting them in a few days. I wore a hole in the little toe of my VFFs (I've had them since May), and I can probably wear them much longer if I can figure out how to patch that hole. Since then, I've been a little more cognizant of my stride. I don't mind the VFFs, but I needed something that I could wear socks with, hence the Merrells.

My husband says that I've bought more shoes since I started barefoot running! Really, no, but it's kind of ironic, and he draws laughs with that statement. /sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/smile.png

One thing I've also been

One thing I've also been realizing as I've groaned about cost....

Traditional running shoes are bigger, but one of the main reasons is all the cushioning. And honestly...I doubt cushioning is very expensive. Same with the rubber on the bottom of them; it wears out way faster than Vibram material does.

So while minimalist shoes are lighter, they probably don't have less EXPENSIVE material than traditional running shoes. In fact, with technology, lighter materials are often more expensive--think carbon fiber bicycles vs. aluminum, desktop computers vs. laptops, etc.

Adam G. wrote:When I first

Adam G. said:
When I first started this barefoot/minimal journey I used to complain as well, but I have become more educated and less ignorant to the price of minimal footwear, there is a reasoning behind it.

Um, what is the reasoning behind it?

[edit to add: I'm not being snarky. I really have assumed the high prices were, well, a tactic based more on the price the market can bear than the actual expense of production. If this isn't true I'd be very curious to hear about it. Thx.]

I like looking for new shoes

I like looking for new shoes and the more minimal the better and will continue trying to find the shoe that is as close to the minimal ideal. Impossible but fun all the same. Some of the simple designs like the huaraches or moccasin seems to be where I am headed.

Yes I have not worn out any of my minimal shoes, the closest is my favourite pair for water shoes hopefully by the end of the summer I will burn a hole through the rubber.
smile.png

Stomper the prices are

Stomper the prices are directly related to the cost of materials, design, manufacturing, and then market standard. I've now designed and consulted on a few minimal shoes and I can honestly say these companies would love to make the shoes cheaper if they could.

The truth is that the process for a minimal shoe is exactly the same as a conventional shoe which creates the problem. The companies are paying the same for production and materials but producing a smaller shoe but only in terms of the sole thickness. It then becomes an issue of appearance which causes problems for the companies in meeting public wishes. The public sees a thinner/smaller shoe and expects it to cost less when really the only thing cut from the shoe is the cheapest part of the shoe. Look at Merrell, New Balance, and Vibram and you see companies using top of the line materials in the minimal offerings which makes the only difference between the minimal shoes and conventional shoes in their lines the thickness of the sole.

The cost for the two shoes is pretty much identical so the prices are almost identical to conventional shoes. These costs are an even greater hit to the smaller companies like ZEM, Altra, and some of the others trying to come out because they are paying more than the large companies for all of these services. The new kids don't have teams and departments built into their companies so they are having to pay for them and then price competitively to the market which then cuts profits for them. All of that in turn slows down their ability to grow and create more for us as consumers.

There is so much more to it than the general public realizes and even more than I realized and I've been around the business for a very long time.

I can't help but add the

I can't help but add the following, staggering, thought.

If the price of a minimalist shoe goes from $80 to $100, that's a 25% increase (damn capitalists).

But if the price of going barefoot were to rise by just $1, the percentage increase would be infinite! Now that's really alienating me from the source of my running. Sounds to me like it's time to start the revolution!

Full disclosure: I run almost 100% barefoot, but I got a pair of Vibrams for Christmas. I was happy about that until I tried them. They are a bit big for me, so they chaffed badly on one spot. I had to take them off (gasp) and run barefoot. I was in Vienna at the time, and it was about -6 Celcius with a lot of gravel on the paths (for traction in the snow). I guess I need to get some socks for this.

Cheers,

Paleo

Paleo--I have over 200 miles

Paleo--I have over 200 miles on my VFFs and STILL get chafed on long runs (maybe 8 or 10 miles+?) if I don't cover certain areas with some sort of tape. It's VERY annoying. I wish they had a soft lining on the inside that kept those seams from chafing.

Out of curiosity--where did yours chafe you? Mine are on the inside edge of my foot, midfoot.

Also I'd think  an issue is

Also I'd think an issue is that we aren't buying as many shoes since they last so long. That means they aren't making as much money per customer. I mean if I buy a pair of the merrells and get 1000 miles off them which would of been three or four pair of regular running shoes that means the profit margin would need to be 3 to 4 times higher with the minimal shoes than with the regular running shoes to make the same amount of money. So even with a profit margin 2x higher they are losing money per customer.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts