Podiatrist demolishes barefoot running 'movement'

Ah yes, the elusive "perfect

Ah yes, the elusive "perfect biomechanics". Good thing I still have my Nikes in my closet.

so is he actually saying we

so is he actually saying we are all mutants born with foot deformaties and therefore unable to run barefoot?

I feel as if my feet are doing pretty good without shoes.. If anything, years of wearing shoes deformed my feet and they are now slowly becoming normalized.

Well...once again my fine

Well...once again my fine state (Oklahoma) is on the leading edge of "backward". You kind of get used to it around here. :-

Foot deformities caused by

Foot deformities caused by genetics? And we understand genetics so well we can find a correlation to so called foot deformities how?

Well, it was nice knowing all

Well, it was nice knowing all of you. Guess I may see you over at the S h o e Forum.

I was born as perfect as a human can be, very much in the normal category for the species. I am biomechanically incorrect now because of the crappy ass shoes I chose to wear when society dictated I put something on my feet. I am now stuck with a painful condition caused directly by those shoes, Morton's Neuroma. Yea, thanks Doctor! You are so right. I need to get back into those shoes. That will solve all of my problems.

We are to believe that God created a perfect species that functions properly in every "other" way, but somehow he fell short with our feet?

Barefoot TJ wrote:We are to

Barefoot TJ said:
We are to believe that God created a perfect species that functions properly in every "other" way, but somehow he fell short with our feet?

Or for the Darwinian among us...feet have been around for millions upon millions of years, and every other animal's foot seems to function fine without shoes. How can evolution have gotten ours wrong?

Exactly, SP.  I agree.

Exactly, SP. I agree.

It frightens me that someone

It frightens me that someone who went through medical school and is entrusted to care for patients can develop a warped perspective so detached from reality.

Abide said:
Foot deformities caused by genetics? And we understand genetics so well we can find a correlation to so called foot deformities how?

This guy is blowing more smoke than a forest fire. Apparently, weak muscles caused by wearing shoes are a deformity that cannot be remedied. LOL.

Codeblue wrote:It frightens

Codeblue said:
It frightens me that someone who went through medical school and is entrusted to care for patients can develop a warped perspective so detached from reality.

He went to medical school like I went to medical school.....NOT!

There are very few podiatry schools in the world, and I believe that there are less than a half dozen in the U.S.

Many western nations do not even recognize the degree or license.

In England, a podiatrist is not even considered a doctor.

In the U.S., prior to the '60's there was no such thing as a podiatrist!

The chiropedists successfuly re-named their profession podiatry and at the same time became surgeons for the first time in U.S history during that decade.

Most doctors that completed medical school (either M.D. or D.O) never really accepted podiatry as a medical field any more than they did chiropractic in those early days.

Today there are podiatrists that have completed extensive training through surgical residencies, with their resultant talent rivaling that of orthopedic surgeons that have graduated from M.D and D.O schools and hospital residencies.

We are very fortunate to have practicing podiatrists and others that have a true interest in furthering research into treating the human foot rather than just repeating the same age old remedies for common ailements.

BUT, there are still licensed practicing podiatrists in the U.S. that earned 2.5 grade point averages in college and never completed any training beyond the four year podiatric curriculum. Some of them are occasionaly called upon as "experts" with regards to barefoot running!

I've got nothing against Oklahoma, but I did once hear that during the dust bowl days signs were put up with arrows saying "This way to California". Apparantly those that could read went!

Just teasing of course you OK BRSers. You baited me!

You know way too much in that

You know way too much in that head of yours, Board!

Just leave the women talk to

Just leave the women talk to us women folk. :sexy:

And I am glad for that!

And I am glad for that!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Just leave

Barefoot TJ said:
Just leave the women talk to us women folk. :sexy:

Would'nt that be sort of like leaving the foot & running talk to the podiatrists and shoe companies?

Not at all!  Totally a

Not at all! Totally a different venue, and don't make me go there.

It is amazing we survived as

It is amazing we survived as a species at all since most doctors are convinced we are just a flawed species.

Well, speaking as one of the

Well, speaking as one of the resident OK BRSers, I'll admit we have our share of "issues". But probably no more than any other state, country, province, etc.

That article was written by an Oklahoma newspaper, so it would stand to reason that they would find "one" to talk to and quote them as the "authority". I've said it before, we've an uphill battle here in OK, but given time, we will make inroads.

But it really is a nice place to live. Most of the people are friendly, even those who can't imagine life without shoes. ;) But please, remember that what we have here is a podiatrist that is freakin' crazy. What he thinks about barefoot running isn't based on where he lives. He thinks like he does because he is an uninformed butthead.

OK, that may have been a little strong. I'm willing to remove the word "uninformed" from that last sentence. ;)

Just sayin', he just happens to live in Oklahoma. He doesn't speak for all of us. Cheers!