Plantar Faciitis

It's just over a month since I had the steroid shot so a quick update is in order.

I went for the shot, despite hearing bad things about it and being pretty worried, the shot was no more painful than an immunisation - I was laughing with the doctor about it afterwards. My heel got progressively more painful for about 3 days and swelled up a little, then it started getting better over about 3 days. After 6 days I did a 4km trail run in well padded (but low drop) shoes - no issues. :woot:

I started doing 4km runs with a couple of days rest between each. the first 2 weekends instead of a longer run I did a long walk instead (20km flat, 30km flat). 2 weeks ago I did a 21km mountain walk with 1000m of ascent, about 3km of which was running. Yesterday I did a 22.2km mountain run with 1100m of ascent. So far, no issues at all (other than tired quads), my PF has not showed any signs of returning so far. I suspected it was due to overuse at the time rather than poor form, so I've not changed anything other than reducing my weekly mileage.

I'm not running barefoot at the moment. I'm trying to stick to trails (for the varied terrain), and have bought a pair of 6mm drop Salomon Sense Mantra shoes which I'm using. I plan to incorporate BFR as a training aid maybe once a week rather than do all my running like this, as the places I like to run are pretty gnarly/rocky. Though I run with fairly decent form, I prefer a little drop/cushion when off-road.

I'm not using the night splint any more (it was great when I was trying to recover from the the injury though - except sometimes my foot would swell at night and I'd wake in pain as the straps were too tight around my foot/ankle), and I haven't used a foam roller or ball on my calves for several weeks. I still use my Compex after runs so maybe 3-4 times a week, using both recovery after longer runs and strength/endurance programs after short runs or on rest days.

So in summary, solidly on the mend I think - thank god! :)

What are the well padded but low drop shoes, Vampire, or are they the Mantras you mention? I'm taking a week or so break from running to see if things calm down, but I did wonder if a bit of padding might be more gentle. I've have been toying with the idea trying something like the Merrell Ascend Gloves - if I could find a stockist where I could try them on I'd be tempted.

Good news Vampire. It looks like you didn't have to take too long of a break. Do you have some more details on your EMS machine? Do you think a cheap model would work (like the ones out of Hammer Nutrition). For the price of Physical Therapy that I have invested in, I think I could have bought one by now. This is the only thing done at the PT office that I can't do at home.

Glad to hear someone has made it through. Nothing new to report here, it still hurts but I have found enough stuff to help mitigate the pain. Except for the morning zombie shuffle.

Good to know. Hoping your healing continues.

Thanks all. Yes the shoes I bought were Salomon Sense Mantra which are 6mm drop, the Salomon Sense (original - red and white) is 4mm drop and padded even less but I'm a bit heavier than Kilian Jornet. I was running in Brooks Cascadia 6 and Brooks Puredrift when I hurt my foot, so I decided a change was in order. I think the damage was mostly down to overuse though rather than a specific shoe brand/model.

The EMS I use is a Compex 'Runner' model, it's very hard to quantify how much difference it makes really. I feel it helps, I want to believe it does as it's expensive, but I have no way of proving it.

I think when my PF was at it's most painful, the things that really helped were 1) the night splint, 2) resting it properly, 3) anti-inflammatories. I tried taking a few days off and different shoes, but it didn't start clearing up until I did all three of the above together. It was well on the way to getting better when I got the shot, so maybe the shot was unnecessary - I'm not sure.

Sounds a little extreme and expensive (but might be safer than a cortisone shot). I didn't even know about it, thanks for bringing it up. I won't even consider anti-inflammatory meds and the cortisone shot unless I get really desperate.

Yeah its pricey but covered under my insurance, I have also been looking into prolotherapy which has shown some success for tendinopathy but it is also pricey and not covered under my insurance.

The side effects are pretty minimal in both so I may give one or the other a shot.

Thanks, Abide. There are some at the MN Talk forums who have tried prolotherapy. We're waiting to hear how they do with it. I have shared this link in one of our Alternative Treatments & Medicine forum. Thanks for sharing!

Cool TJ, I'm actually going to try it tomorrow. I'll report back any results, have a 50k Saturday so should be able to tell something next week hopefully.
When you do, can you please create a new thread about it in the Health forum, so I will spot it? Thanks!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts